"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: She's a witch! Burn her!!!  (Read 13453 times)

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
She's a witch! Burn her!!!
« on: 2014-03-21, 17:53:38 »
I've always found documents like these both hilarious and frightening. Hilarious just in what these people say about women (look at Chapter VI) but yet frightening that they actually thought this way and acted on it.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/mm/
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: She's a witch! Burn her!!!
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-22, 01:22:24 »
Yikes!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-23, 04:40:20 »
I believe William Pen was a judge in America and a witch case was brought to him. They accused her of flying a broom stick. He responded "there is no law against riding a broom stick at night" Good old Pen, keeping that nonsense out of PA, wish Salem could say the same :P
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-23, 04:49:00 »
Ah, the dreaded Malleus Maleficarum! Unfortunately one of the most horrible propaganda pieces of the Middle Ages. :( I've studied it a bit in my Medieval Heresy and Witchcraft course at my college.

It's quite interesting to note that witchcraft was not really noted as heresy until around the century of this manuscript, nor was it actually considered a crime (most of the time - certain sorts of "darker" sorcery/witchcraft were still looked down upon). "Magical" knowledge was quite a common thing back in the day, and even inquisitors possessed such knowledge and sometimes even practiced it.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-23, 04:50:18 by Stanislaw »
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-24, 00:56:17 »
Ah, the dreaded Malleus Maleficarum! Unfortunately one of the most horrible propaganda pieces of the Middle Ages. :( I've studied it a bit in my Medieval Heresy and Witchcraft course at my college.

Your college is SO much cooler than mine was
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-24, 13:17:50 »
That is what you get for going to a private for-profit college (you went to Strayer right?)

I was a history major in college and had some amazing teachers and classes ranging from medieval saints and martyrdom to terrorism in the mind of God...I miss college...

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-24, 13:39:54 »
With the exception of Medieval Russian History, my college's history dept. was devoted to modern American and European History, particularly colonial history.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-24, 17:58:26 »
Dang non-Nevada colleges and their good professors.

I had to teach my English professor why we capitalize and I had a Philosophy professor that had never heard of Taoism, Sun Tsu, or Bruce Lee. Also I had a Wold Religion Prof who was surprised the Atheists knew the most about religion.

Is it a wonder that we consistently rank in the bottom 10 states for ejumakashun?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2014-03-24, 20:03:38 »

Seriously.  I might have studied harder, back in the day, if we had classes about sorcery and witchcraft. ;)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-03-26, 12:22:52 »

Seriously.  I might have studied harder, back in the day, if we had classes about sorcery and witchcraft. ;)

Right!  Would've looked forward to going to that class!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: 2014-03-26, 17:04:39 »

Right!  Would've looked forward to going to that class!

Yeah, that class has been quite enjoyable so far. Nevertheless, our professor actually specializes in Early Modern French society studies. There is one professor at Reed who does handle Early Medieval art and illuminated manuscript studies, though, and I hope to join in on his class the next time that it's offered. Strangely, Reed has an immense amount of such books packed into its library.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-26, 17:07:56 by Stanislaw »
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-03-26, 20:17:52 »
Strangely enough we touched on this document in my History of Medicine class. Now that was one of the most interesting classes I ever took (alongside the History of Entertainment in America).

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #12 on: 2014-03-27, 00:41:28 »
I may look Into that for college.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2014-03-27, 01:43:29 »

Avoid a history degree like the plague. Yeah it's fascinating and fun (and also quite tough deoending on the program), but if you want a job within a year of graduating, you're better off with something else. Many of my fellow history graduates that I know are still unemployed. I got very lucky and only got my job through connections. Liberal Arts are enlightening, but sadly they don't pay off loans and bills.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #14 on: 2014-03-27, 02:15:51 »

Avoid a history degree like the plague. Yeah it's fascinating and fun (and also quite tough deoending on the program), but if you want a job within a year of graduating, you're better off with something else. Many of my fellow history graduates that I know are still unemployed. I got very lucky and only got my job through connections. Liberal Arts are enlightening, but sadly they don't pay off loans and bills.

Ugh...isn't that the sad truth.... :-\
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....