"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Polearms  (Read 4577 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Polearms
« on: 2014-03-17, 00:06:00 »
Finally finished up some polearms work, figured I would post a picture.

#1 is a Windlass pollaxe that I got a few years ago, but the haft it comes with was pretty short. Total length was at or below 6 feet, and didn't look very intimidating. It was a good amount of effort just to get it off the original haft. I was unable to find any hardwood in a decent size for the handle, so I laminated two 3/4" boards together and then shaved it down. I also angled down the 90* corners so it is a more "hex" shaped haft instead of square.

#2 is a head from overseas (Czech? I forget specifically where) that I bought from Dr Metz months ago. It needed some cleaning, and a new haft. It came with a small section of the old one as reference. I chose to leave this one with a rounded haft instead of octagonal for a number of reasons; I had one already, it isn't sharp enough to cut with, it won't be used for combat, and I don't have a planer; the Windlass one I did on a belt sander and I'm not 100% happy with it.

Both are finished with a basic poly sealant, I did not stain them.

http://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1538663_10202829152386517_272414686_n.jpg
(doesn't seem to let me embed from the Book of Faces)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: Polearms
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-17, 03:15:39 »
Nice!  You’re making me wish for this horrific winter to be over so I can get into my (unheated) shop and play.  Yep, we’re still below freezing up here.  :(
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-17, 21:52:45 »
Gimme.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-18, 01:04:06 »
Nice!  You’re making me wish for this horrific winter to be over so I can get into my (unheated) shop and play.  Yep, we’re still below freezing up here.  :(

My shop is unheated too, we just have bi-polar weather that was in the high 60s/low 70s over the weekend, whereas it's in the 30s today and we just got 8-10" of snow.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-18, 02:55:29 »

My shop is unheated too, we just have bi-polar weather that was in the high 60s/low 70s over the weekend, whereas it's in the 30s today and we just got 8-10" of snow.

I want I workshop one day...

It seems Mr. Heat Miser and Snow Miser are at it again. Time to give Mother Nature a call.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-18, 13:36:31 »

Those turned out great! More toys for our encampments in the future. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-18, 16:36:08 »
I want I workshop one day...

By "workshop" I mean "place I could park my car but I leave my car outside so I can have tools inside"... but yeah. :)

Those turned out great! More toys for our encampments in the future. :)

Thanks!

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-19, 00:23:31 »
sweet

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-03-19, 15:52:49 »
I still need to mount a spear.  We'll get it together, Sir James- hopefully soon!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€