Main > The Round Table

Medieval Trencher

<< < (2/12) > >>

Mike W.:
Would that render a surface large enough to eat a meal off of?

Sir Wolf:
http://www.billyandcharlie.com/misc.html i have a trencher form bnc's for later time kit.

Thorsteinn:
IIRC Trenchers were just bread made into bowls so that you could eat them after the same as we do with Sourdough bowls and chowder today. BTW Sourdough is period.

Oh, and speaking as a Jew. Do not go the Matzo route. You will be happier.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-03-16, 00:14:25 ---Would that render a surface large enough to eat a meal off of?

--- End quote ---

If you make the bread into a boule form, it would- you'd just slice it in half lengthwise and voila, you have two trenchers, count'm two, ah ha ha haaaaa.  lol

All kidding aside, any references I've come across w/regard to that simply call it a bread trencher and all it consists of is a thick slice of stale bread so that it'll hold the food and juices w/out falling apart, after which you'd eat it or put it in your sack to eat later.

Ian:
I've asked the question to some of the very knowledgeable cooks in La Belle, so I'm waiting to hear back.  In the meantime, I did have a discussion about bread crusts while at MTA last weekend, and I was told that crusts then were made very thick and tough, because they basically served as a frame and tray for a dish, and weren't meant to be eaten by gentle folk.  At the same time, they're perfectly edible and could be given away as scraps.  They were also thick enough that they were used to preserve food.  The inside of a thick piece of bread would remain good for weeks, even if the outside grew mold (kind of like the rind on cheese).  I'm wondering if a trencher would best be made using a similar technique to these crusts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version