Main > The Round Table

Medieval Trencher

(1/12) > >>

Mike W.:
Does anyone know of a recipe for making a trencher? I was thinking about giving it a try.

Ian:
What do you mean by a 'recipe' ?  Are we talking about the trencher that's just a piece of stale bread?  Or a more permanent solution?

Aiden of Oreland:
I don't know about trencher, but I have a Medieval Celebrations book (signed by Mark D. Donnelly :) ) That gives recipes for Parsley and Barley bread if you're interested.

Mike W.:
I'm looking into making one of those stale bread trenchers. I'd imagin the recipe is not unlike 19th century hard tack; flour, water, and a hint of salt shaped into a plate, baked, then set aside for several days to become hard.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-03-15, 13:31:08 ---I'm looking into making one of those stale bread trenchers. I'd imagin the recipe is not unlike 19th century hard tack; flour, water, and a hint of salt shaped into a plate, baked, then set aside for several days to become hard.

--- End quote ---

Well, I'm not certain that those trenchers were made specifically to be trenchers, other than just being normal bread that had gone stale and thrown to the peasants with the other left overs.  You might have more success just looking for the recipe for common breads in your chosen time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version