Main > The Round Table

Medieval Trencher

<< < (3/12) > >>

Sir Wolf:
lol i miss rob and sam

Sir Nate:
Actually Im thinking about making bread plates for a medieval thing coming up in summer.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-03-16, 00:14:25 ---Would that render a surface large enough to eat a meal off of?

--- End quote ---

You're only limited to the amount of dough that you have available; you can make a loaf as big or as small as you like.

Mike W.:
Yeah I guess. I was trying to imagine an generic-sized loaf of bread, they don't seem like a large surface to eat off of. I guess I'll just make a large loaf.

Ian:
From Rob, our very exceptional period cook in La Belle:

--- Quote ---In the 14th and 15th Centuries, generally speaking, trenchers were cut from a dense, whole-grain loaf called tranche.  I do sometimes bake a couple loaves, but this year my shoulder made kneading the dry-ish dough a less pleasant prospect.

To recreate tranche according to Peter Brears (head cook at Hampton Court Palace), I make a sponge of yeast, white flour, and some sugar, and let it get good and mature. I throw some salt in with whole wheat flour, with some added wheat bran. I mix up the basic dough until it's pretty dry and stiff, then proof it twice before forming it into oval loaves, but I do not let the loaves proof again before putting them in the oven. I bake it a 450 for 40-60 minutes,  because it's very dense.

The end product is pretty tough stuff; works great for trenchers, and I also grill or fry it up for sops. It tastes pretty good if you like sturdy whole-grain breads.

Hope this helps.  I bake by eye and feel, so amounts are not something I have recorded.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version