"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Reconstructed Knight's Face  (Read 10666 times)

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Reconstructed Knight's Face
« on: 2014-03-12, 23:13:55 »
I've always found these forensic reconstructions to be both amazing, and yet slightly creepy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1279306/Face-mystery-medieval-knight-finally-revealed-modern-day-CSI-skills.html
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Reconstructed Knight's Face
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-13, 00:12:48 »
You should check out the book Blood Red Roses.  It's got more of that in it, all based on the grave finds from the Battle of Towton.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-13, 02:26:22 »
I love this kind of discovery and research, thanks for posting it!

This line did raise my blood pressure a bit (emphasis mine).
'He was a very strong and fit nobleman, with the physique of a professional rugby player, who would have been trained since boyhood to handle heavy swords and other weapons and who would have spent a great deal of time on horseback.'

But enough nit-picking, this is really cool.  :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-13, 03:04:40 »
Awesome, amazing what technology can do these days. The future is key to the past.
Makes me think of braveheart. Yet people forget that men like wallace would have been fully armored.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-13, 13:06:39 »
'He was a very strong and fit nobleman, with the physique of a professional rugby player, who would have been trained since boyhood to handle heavy swords and other weapons and who would have spent a great deal of time on horseback.'

What? They didn't weigh 20 lbs? :)
« Last Edit: 2014-03-13, 13:06:49 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-13, 16:55:19 »

What? They didn't weigh 20 lbs? :)

If they weren't heavy enough they could never cut through 12" doors with steel braces, or cut through tanks with them. Something like that.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-13, 19:27:49 »
Almost looks like Sir Ian!  lol

I find 'heavy' to be relative...to a 'daily mail reporter' 4lbs could be considered heavy.  Early 14th C would have seen the bigger war swords on the field, so it wouldn't be off the wall.  Of course, they probably meant 20 lbs...lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-14, 03:07:19 »
Always love forensic reconstruction of historic individuals. In a way, it's also a little spooky, especially the exceptionally life-like ones.

Also, leave it to us to immediately notice the "heavy sword" faux pas. ;D
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2014-03-16, 00:13:36 »

I find 'heavy' to be relative...to a 'daily mail reporter' 4lbs could be considered heavy.  Early 14th C would have seen the bigger war swords on the field, so it wouldn't be off the wall.  Of course, they probably meant 20 lbs...lol

Fact: with the scabbard, the sword that was Excalibur in "Camelot" 1967 weighed in at 22 lbs.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-03-19, 04:28:57 »
Wasn't this the same Knight who was killed with a Mace and they discovered his Knight status due to his back injury?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-03-19, 16:04:03 »

Fact: with the scabbard, the sword that was Excalibur in "Camelot" 1967 weighed in at 22 lbs.

Could you cite that reference, Nate?  I'm not disbelieving, I'd just like to read it.  It is comical to us who know better but the unwashed masses had to get that idea from somewhere and it wasn't from us.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-03-19, 19:35:36 »

Could you cite that reference, Nate?  I'm not disbelieving, I'd just like to read it.  It is comical to us who know better but the unwashed masses had to get that idea from somewhere and it wasn't from us.

On my Camelot dvd the extras says it. I can find Nowhere online stating it.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: 2014-03-20, 02:19:00 »
I feel like stuff like this should be done more often. It would be excellent to incorporate the research for facial features in games set in a specific time period, as well as other computer-generated images.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-20, 02:19:20 by Stanislaw »
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2014-03-20, 03:11:50 »
I found one for Richard III. It was made shortly after they dug him out of the parking lot.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2014-03-20, 03:17:38 »
Facial reconstructions have a way of making the subjects feel more human and less like a name on a page. It makes it a lot easier to connect with the history.