"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Armor stands  (Read 12408 times)

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
Armor stands
« on: 2014-03-09, 22:27:30 »
I'm thinking about making or buying an armor stand. What have you used, what works and doesn't, and what's historical? I'm interested in your experiences.

Scott

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Armor stands
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-10, 00:08:01 »
I made one from PVC once... it didn't work very well.  It was too flexible under the weight of everything.  It stayed put, but it could easily be knocked over.  I smashed it with a pole hammer after a while.  That was a lot of fun... :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-10, 00:50:43 »
The guys I reenact with use simple wooden crosses with a wooden x base for stability. They aren't historical, I'm not aware of any historically accurate armor stands, but for display and educational purposes they look the part and are very helpfull.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-10, 01:02:13 »
I made one from wood, black iron pipe, and PVC that works well.  It’s in this thread:

Armour Stand
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-10, 02:43:15 »
Posted mine on the Book of Faces last month:

Armor stand that I use for my suit of armor. Made out of 2x4s and plywood - almost anybody can make this!

* The plywood base is roughly 18" square.
* The side pieces are 1 1/2" less than shoulder height.
* The lower horizontal piece is about belt height.
* The upper horizontal piece is as wide as shoulders from side to side.
* The upper vertical piece is height of shoulders to top of head.

The laces are just staple-gunned to the frame; shoulders towards the "head" piece, arms closer to the edge, legs a bit above the lower horizontal piece. Cheap shoe laces from Wal-Mart, cut in half. I twist some simple thin black wire from JoAnn fabrics around the cut ends to keep it from fraying that I had left over from a wire wrapped sword re-grip I did a few years ago.

I use 4" screws to attach the base (probably overkill; I tend to err on over-engineered). The other 2x4s are just pre-drilled and held in place with counter-sunk 2 1/2" wood screws. You could use nails and it would probably work just as well.

Can be made without any fancy tools. A hand saw, a hammer, nails and a few staples (you could hammer them even without a staple gun) and you're good to go. I use a compound mitre saw, drill press, electric drill to drive the screws, staple gun, and a carpenter's square - but it's not needed.

Black paint is just $1 cans from Home Depot, a couple coats, and doesn't even need a primer base. Takes about 1 1/2 cans, I've done 2 stands with only 3 cans.

Goes on the stand just like it would in a standard arming sequence; feet, lower legs, upper legs, neck, body, shoulders, arms, helmet.

I've debated on making a raised base to it (like they have in museums) and putting an engraved plate on the front with the description of the armor. I have a few pieces of brass and a stamping set, though I haven't tried it yet. The raised base would simply be either 1x4s or 1x6s in a box frame added to the bottom of the plywood base.

With the armor on the stand, almost none of the stand is visible except the base. I used to build an arm to go along with it, but didn't like the way you could see the frame through the armpit and elbow openings, so I removed them. It hangs reasonably natural just by being suspended by the laces.

A mannequin would look nice, but they're expensive ($150+) and I'm not confident in their ability to hold the weight of a 75 pound suit of armor. The 2x4s hold it without any trouble. Plus, some people may have half (or more) of the materials laying around, like I did. It's a great-for-the-cost do-it-yourself option.

edit: completely un-historical. i'm not aware of any historical stands. storage in a chest would be more likely, and would double as transporting it, too
« Last Edit: 2014-03-10, 02:45:08 by Sir James A »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-10, 04:22:06 »
I think this is one of those situations where making your own is better. You can make it your height etc. which is nice so you can look at yourself in a  a manner of speaking. I know some companies do make adjustable but I cannot imagine them to be all that sturdy.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-10, 14:29:26 »

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-10, 14:30:54 »
I'll also put my own to shame. You can rarely beat a Robert MacPherson creation!

https://picasaweb.google.com/107424978964418089728/February262014?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKqt9tu31ICUVw&feat=directlink

Yeah, his is ridiculous! I really like your design Sir James...very cool idea with the points...stapled...

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-03-10, 14:37:00 »
Ye Olde Gaffer put out plans for the ones he did- pretty nice if you have the talent for it.  I don't, unfortunately.

http://yeoldegaffers.com/project_deluxe_stand.asp

And I recognize ole Massimo the Armor Mannekin!  lol
« Last Edit: 2014-03-10, 14:38:02 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #9 on: 2014-03-10, 14:46:17 »
Ye Olde Gaffer put out plans for the ones he did- pretty nice if you have the talent for it.  I don't, unfortunately.

Sir William, that looks really easy to make...it is time consuming and you need a power drill, power saw (or an old school saw and lots of patience), and a brush for the stain/sealant. I would make one but alas right now funds and crafting time are tied up on armor making.

But basically you are cutting out woodand doing simple drills...no complicated hinges or anything.

A piece of advise, stain after it is assembled...takes forever to dry and having it standing already is nice :)

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #10 on: 2014-03-10, 16:36:55 »
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #11 on: 2014-03-10, 19:10:54 »
I'll also put my own to shame. You can rarely beat a Robert MacPherson creation!

https://picasaweb.google.com/107424978964418089728/February262014?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKqt9tu31ICUVw&feat=directlink

Daaaaang! :o

What he said!

Sir William, that looks really easy to make...it is time consuming and you need a power drill, power saw (or an old school saw and lots of patience), and a brush for the stain/sealant. I would make one but alas right now funds and crafting time are tied up on armor making.

But basically you are cutting out woodand doing simple drills...no complicated hinges or anything.

A piece of advise, stain after it is assembled...takes forever to dry and having it standing already is nice :)

That does for the most part look simple (especially after seeing the other one). Maybe I'll try making it some time in the future.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2014-03-10, 20:21:53 »

Two things to note on that one:

1) It's for primarily mail armor. A cuirass doesn't need a complex form. Mail is "shapeless" so it needs the form to drape over.
2) It'll have the "pole up butt" look if it has leg armor and/or sabatons, whereas Mac/mine are covered by the leg armor

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2014-03-11, 00:53:55 »
I just got an Armor stand for christmas. I love it, Although when you first get one, you have to position the armor just right, Or also you'll keep scaring yourself thinking there's another person in the room. I did it a few times.(Having it parallel in the room, In between two windows(and having it right against the wall), Or just a corner.) Even if it stands a little out, It will keep spooking you.
Ill post pics of my armor stand soon.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2014-03-13, 19:44:45 »
CrusaderMonk once had the cops show up at his house because one of his neighbors saw his armor on a stand and thought someone was stealing something out of his garage.  He keeps it in a garage, I KNOW.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€