"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: HammerHeart Brewing Company  (Read 9361 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
HammerHeart Brewing Company
« on: 2014-03-02, 06:21:31 »
There’s been an explosion of micro-breweries in Minnesota over the last five to ten years.  This is due, in large part, to the passing of the “Surley Law” which allows a brewery in Minnesota to sell beer on site and the “Growler Law” which allows for small scale “off-sale” or “take home” sales limited to 64 ounce bottles called “growlers”.

As an avid home brewer and cordial maker I’m very interested in the proliferation of micro-breweries and the local availability of high quality beers.  Yes, we are light years behind states such as Colorado, Oregon and Washington, but we’re gaining ground quickly.  The recent 2014 Minnesota Craft Brewers Guild’s Winterfest was an outstanding success which showcased many of the 60+ breweries in the state.

I had the good fortune to visit HammerHeart Brewing Company in Lino Lakes recently.  The small tap room is decorated in a Norse theme with Viking weapons and shields hanging on the walls.  The seating is hand-hewn trestle tables and upright barrels.  The service was friendly and the mood amongst patrons was lively. Most importantly, their beers are outstanding.  In particular, the chocolate oatmeal stout was one of the best brews I’ve ever tasted.  Though they don’t have a kitchen (and thus don’t serve food), they do have a different food truck parked outside nearly every night.  (The explosion of food trucks serving high quality specialties is another recent development in MN).

Spending an evening in a Norse themed micro-brewery with friends while enjoying high quality beers was as close to Valhalla as I can get!   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: HammerHeart Brewing Company
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-02, 13:16:47 »
Sounds like an Order field trip to me!  It tastes so good when it hits your lips!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-03, 21:29:39 »
Too bad it's so far away. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I'd certainly sample some things.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-03, 22:21:46 »
That outdoor eating is as much as I could do. But it sounds really awesome. Maybe when Im of age I'll go.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-03, 23:13:08 »
Too bad it's so far away. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I'd certainly sample some things.

In an act of selflessness, I'll make up for your lack of beer drinking. 
My Pinterest

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-03, 23:19:42 »

Wanna make up for mine too haha

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-03, 23:23:11 »

Wanna make up for mine too haha

Alright... begrudgingly, I will oblige....  Sometimes you just have to help out a brother....

(this is going to be a FUN trip!)
My Pinterest

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-04, 01:09:45 »
and me too if you can handle the dwarf amount.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2014-03-04, 01:23:07 »
and me too if you can handle the dwarf amount.

Rubbish! Ian will only feel a slight tingle in his fingure!

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #9 on: 2014-03-04, 03:34:02 »
That outdoor eating is as much as I could do. But it sounds really awesome. Maybe when Im of age I'll go.

Take your time and enjoy the place you’re at now.  ;)

It’s funny, I went through the whole college “chug, chug, chug” thing way back when.  Now I like taking time to enjoy the fruits of the brewmaster’s labor. (Yum)

BTW, the eating was done indoors as the temperature was below zero.  You put on your coat, run outside, grab your order, and run back inside!  Many micro-breweries in Minnesota are teaming up with those fancy food trucks like you see on the food network.  It’s too expensive to open a brewery and a restaurant at the same time, so they team up and it’s a win-win.   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2014-03-04, 04:00:27 »

Take your time and enjoy the place you’re at now.  ;)

It’s funny, I went through the whole college “chug, chug, chug” thing way back when.  Now I like taking time to enjoy the fruits of the brewmaster’s labor. (Yum)

BTW, the eating was done indoors as the temperature was below zero.  You put on your coat, run outside, grab your order, and run back inside!  Many micro-breweries in Minnesota are teaming up with those fancy food trucks like you see on the food network.  It’s too expensive to open a brewery and a restaurant at the same time, so they team up and it’s a win-win.   :)

Ya know, I'm just not the kind of person to do that kind of stuff, in fact, I find that kind substance rather unpleasant. Maybe my taste will change later who knows. For me, I drink and eat stuff because I enjoy it. Not for the effect like half the people I know. Even if they say "but thats the whole point of it." Ya I steer clear from that stuff. I am probably the only "clean" person in my school. Oh and thats saying something living in Upper "Drug"lin (Upper Dublin) haha.

Thats rather clever actually, teaming up. Whenever communities unite together it always seems to work out for the best. Lol, we all should go dressed as vikings, saxons, normans, you know, the usual group haha. That'd be epic.

Hey, I can always drink a nice pint of root bear!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2014-03-04, 14:28:06 »
Ya know, I'm just not the kind of person to do that kind of stuff, in fact, I find that kind substance rather unpleasant. Maybe my taste will change later who knows. For me, I drink and eat stuff because I enjoy it. Not for the effect like half the people I know. Even if they say "but thats the whole point of it." Ya I steer clear from that stuff. I am probably the only "clean" person in my school. Oh and thats saying something living in Upper "Drug"lin (Upper Dublin) haha.

That's good, actually. I know a lot of people see the point of alcohol as just getting smashed. But really, what does that say about a person that in order to have fun, they have to trash their brain function? Are they not smart enough to be entertained with their mental faculties intact?

Of course, I'm not talking about the occasional party, experimenting in college, or that sort of thing. Just the general attitude of, "I'm going to have a good time by getting lit" as a habit. That leads to dark places.

I was never much of a drinker. Only in the last few years have I been branching out, trying harder liquers, cocktails, mixed drinks, etc. But as soon as I can tell it's hitting my head, I've had enough. I don't need to be dizzy, or compromised in general. I just don't see the need to get wasted.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2014-03-04, 18:37:22 »

And kudos to you for that! I kept my distance from anybody neck deep in substance abuse, and myself and a few friends left another friend who kept coming home drunk so much he was kicked out of his parents house (at something like 17, before he even graduated high school).

It can be an acquired taste. I never acquired it. I had a few mixed drinks 5 or 10 years ago, a taste of wine, and I just don't even like the taste of it. So I don't drink any alcohol. And without going into details, a large factor in my divorce was alcohol issues with my almost-ex-wife. When out of control, it can do nasty, irreparable damage. Like almost anything in life, moderation is key, and there is a "too much" point. Respect it, and you can still enjoy it if you so choose. To each their own, and if they're happy and it doesn't hurt me, have at it! :)

As a pleasant side effect, no money spent on alcohol means more money towards weapons and armor. But I'm weird like that. ;)
« Last Edit: 2014-03-04, 18:37:40 by Sir James A »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #13 on: 2014-03-04, 19:30:33 »

Of course, I'm not talking about the occasional party, experimenting in college, or that sort of thing. Just the general attitude of, "I'm going to have a good time by getting lit" as a habit. That leads to dark places.

The only thing I ever experimented with in college was paint. I had a very boring college experience. But then, I'm a very boring guy. ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2014-03-04, 20:19:08 »
I don't trust anyone over the age of 21 who won't have a drink... ;-)

For what it's worth I didn't really like beer until I had good beer.  I've tried to like wine, but I can't.  I can tolerate white wine, but can't stand red.  And nothing warms the heart like a nice glass of bourbon... :)
« Last Edit: 2014-03-04, 20:22:08 by Ian »
My Pinterest