"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: A suggestion for custom plate armor  (Read 12218 times)

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
A suggestion for custom plate armor
« on: 2014-02-21, 05:30:28 »
For those of you contemplating hiring an armorer to custom make some plate armor, I have a suggestion that may save you time, money and result in a better fit.

Of course there's nothing better than being there, in the armorer's shop while he fits the armor to you as he works, but for many people that's simply not an option. The best armorers can work from a cast of the limbs for arm and leg armor, but plaster is heavy, messy and fragile.

So here is the solution that worked for me: Fiberglass cast tape. I'm talking about the stuff modern physicians use to make medical limb casts out of. It's simple to use, no mess, very light weight, very strong and keeps it's shape nearly perfectly.

The stuff comes in rolls that are sealed in foil packets. The rolls are available in a variety of widths, and for making an armor casts the tape needs to be no more than two wraps thick, so get the widest rolls you can find. It's supposedly available at medical supply stores, but I was not able to find any in the entire metro Phoenix area medical supply stores. I was able to find one roll at a shop that sells costume making supplies so you could try there too, but as with many things the best place to buy it is online. I use Orthotape.com and buy the stuff by the case.

http://orthotape.com/fiberglass_casting_tape.asp

There are videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to use it to make a cast, but it's pretty easy. That said, it's not something you want to try by yourself.

You will only need a few things but a couple you might want to buy online:

A bucket with clean, warm water.
A towel covering the floor.
A chair to sit on.
Enough rolls of medical gauze to cover the entire limb area to be casted in one or two layers.
The fiberglass tape.
Good, sharp scissors.
An assistant. 

To use the tape, first you need to cover the limb with gauze wraps. Just one or two wraps with any cheap medical gauze will do. This you might want to buy online. I found I could wipe out several local stores of all their stock in every size, or I could buy an entire case of 24 rolls online for about $12. Once you've wrapped the limb with gauze, making sure to completely cover the entire skin area to be casted, you're ready to open the roll of tape. Have your assistant open a roll of tape while you sit and hold your limb steady. Swish the tape roll around in the bucket of warm water for about 10 seconds, and then roll it out onto the limb, going around and overlapping as you go. Continuously smooth out the tape to prevent wrinkles, as the resin in the tape begins to set very quickly and once hard, it's not going to budge. Keep the limb in it's natural position, fully extended, while the assistant wraps the tape around it, being careful not to wrap it too tight. You don't really wnat to make it snug because it will tend to shrink just a bit as the resin cures (it's made for making casts after all). You want to make the cast as close to the girdth of your actual limb as possible, so no more than one overlapping run over the entire limb (which may take several rolls of tape if your limbs are wide or long like mine). If you do it quickly enough and with finesse, it will stick together. After the cast is on, wait about 5 minutes for it to dry, then cut it off with the scissors, being very careful not to jab or cut your skin in the process. Once the cast is off, you can tape the cut open part shut with packing tape and stuff the cast with plastic grocery bags. Casts of both your arms and both your legs all together will weigh less than 5lb. Pack them snugly in a box and mail them to your armorer.

Viola', it's as if you're standing right there in the armorer's shop, and the entire process only took about 20 minutes and the mess consists of a wet towel and empty gauze and tape packets.

Here are some example pictures that one of my armorers used. I've used this technique twice now with two different armorers and it worked great both times.

An arm harness being made to fit my arm cast, after it was wrapped with bubble wrap to simulate my gambesson thickness. Note how the cast can match the contour of your body all the way through your shoulder joint:

A leg harness being sanity-checked before shipping. Note how you can see that my cast goes all the way from crotch to ankles:

Scott
« Last Edit: 2014-02-21, 05:31:57 by scott2978 »

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: A suggestion for custom plate armor
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-21, 13:07:04 »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-21, 13:24:27 »
A modern twist on the casting method used in period!  Nice idea!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-21, 14:24:11 »
That's really cool...anyone interested in acquiring a fitted custom plate harness should be going this route if they can't get to the armorer themselves.  Using bubble wrap to mimic your gambeson was excellent- I wondered how'd you deal with approximating undergarments and such.  Great stuff, thanks for sharing!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-21, 14:37:32 »
I'm afraid to ask... what are the going rates for custom suits?
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-21, 14:38:45 »
Do you use Altocast or the premium stuff?

P.S. This is awesome...I am lucky that the armorer I think I am going to use lives 45 min away (Tom Justus/Eldrid Treymange)

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-21, 14:48:00 »
I'm afraid to ask... what are the going rates for custom suits?

Depends on what century you are looking at and how authetic...also what material...most spring steel 14th century harnesses would cost between 4k-10k and that is because they dont have fluting etc...

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-21, 15:53:36 »
That's really cool...anyone interested in acquiring a fitted custom plate harness should be going this route if they can't get to the armorer themselves.  Using bubble wrap to mimic your gambeson was excellent- I wondered how'd you deal with approximating undergarments and such.  Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Agreed, the bubble wrap is a great idea. What I did with mine was wrap a couple extra layers of gauze to simulate the padding thickness, so my overall cast was "leg + padding", rather than putting the bubble wrap on top. Which means I wasted some gauze. Luckily I did the same 24 rolls for $12 online purchase!

Pic from my Book of Faces, when I did casts for my greaves last year:
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-21, 23:31:02 »
Wilburnicus: The 3 biggest factors are:
  • How historical your armor will be
  • What metal it will be made from
  • which armorer you choose
Those three things include a lot of design, style, history, time and money choices though. How historical you want to be will limit all your other choices. I'd say if you want to do a mid-13th century very historical impression, all the plate pieces (couter, rerebrace, vambrace, half-greave, poleyn, sabatons, bascinet, great helm and gauntlets) done in mild steel without a lot of decorative extras, custom made to fit you, could be done for around $3,000.  If you wanted it in spring steel then $4,000. If you wanted the same with full fancy detail, then maybe $8,000. If you wanted to move into the 14th century, the more plate, the more decoration, the more money. A fully historical mid-late 14th century harness (which can really only be mild steel) you'd be looking at starting at $8,000 for the most austere harness, up to around $30,000 or more for all the trimmings like brass accents around all the parts, hot oil blueing and hammer raised pieces. Every single part of a fully historical and fully blinged-out harness is an amazing work of art all by itself. A harness at the pinnacle of modern armor reproductions sold at auction in Germany in 2006 with a starting bid of 30,000 Euros. The final price was secret but it wouldn't surprise me if it broke a hundred thousand dollars. Of course that's the pinnacle, far beyond us mere mortals, but it does help us to keep some humility about our own efforts to look the part.

Scott

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #9 on: 2014-02-21, 23:36:09 »
Belemrys: I've tried both and prefer to use the cheaper Altocast. It works just as well and costs less.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-02-21, 23:51:19 »
Wilburnicus: The 3 biggest factors are:
  • How historical your armor will be
  • What metal it will be made from
  • which armorer you choose

I would add what level of polish you want on your armor as well.  Polishing is very time consuming and the difference between satin and mirror polishing can be in the $100's.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-02-21, 23:54:25 »
Well, in that case I'll wait a decade or two before buying a harness.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2014-02-22, 00:06:25 »
Should of done this for my greaves, they dont exactly fit well over the maille I have, though now that I closed the maille I dont need them nearly as much.

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #13 on: 2014-02-22, 06:22:56 »
Well, in that case I'll wait a decade or two before buying a harness.

Actually only fabulously wealthy people can afford to buy a whole harness all at once. The best way to do it is to buy it piece by piece and build your harness over time. Once you know what look you're going for, pick just one piece (either the legs or the helmet are best) and hire the best armorer you can and spend the money to get the best one of those you can get. Most of the time it will pay to do the legs first, because that will reduce your fatigue, but sometimes doing the helm first can give you more payback because it's the most visible part of the harness. And it sort of depends on what you'll be using the harness for - a BOTN harness will have different priorities from living history. Once you have that first piece in the oven, start planning the next. Keep going until you reach your goal and make as few compromises as you can manage along the way, and eventually you will own your dream harness that you could never afford to buy all at once.

Scott
« Last Edit: 2014-02-22, 06:23:28 by scott2978 »

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2014-02-22, 14:41:25 »
That's encouraging at least. But for now, I'm just going to work my way through the armor timeline. Starting out with the 11th century, then progressing to the 14th.