"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: Norman Maille - 1066  (Read 13791 times)

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Norman Maille - 1066
« on: 2014-02-10, 20:00:11 »
Does anyone know exactly what these squares are? I suspect they are an extra layer of leather backed maille intended for additional protection.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Norman Maille - 1066
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-10, 20:18:55 »
It may or may not be completely backed with leather, but it's probably at least a leather edged extra patch of maille to give you a double layer over the heart.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-10, 20:42:41 »
there are lots of theories. some say it could be a doubler for the chest against lance and spear trusts. some say it is the bib version of a ventail, it is simply untied and hanging down the front. etc etc

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-10, 20:49:08 »
I always thought they were bib vents.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-10, 21:09:36 »
I'd be hesitant to say they're ventails, as I doubt they would have those metal points on the corners, and additionally no figures in the Bayeux tapestry are shown with ventails.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-10, 21:17:28 »
Leather trim around the neckline is my guess
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-10, 21:29:56 »
additionally, if it was a ventail, wouldn't it be portrayed as being used? This knight engaged in battle is not wearing it up (assuming it is a ventail). thus leading me to believe it is in fact just extra maille over the vital organs.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-10, 21:46:19 »
I'm inclined to agree that it's not a ventail, since it's never shown used as one, and it's displayed square in the middle of the chest on hauberks being worn and hauberks hanging on rods.  It's definitely not leather trim around the neck line because it's depicted in the middle of the chest while worn.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-10, 22:05:05 »
What about the Byzantine Bra?

(see mail covered guardsman in pic)

« Last Edit: 2014-02-10, 23:44:00 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2014-02-10, 22:12:23 »
I'm thinking it served a similar function to the shoulder pads on the Lorica Hamata.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-02-11, 00:06:35 »
I'm inclined to agree that it's not a ventail, since it's never shown used as one, and it's displayed square in the middle of the chest on hauberks being worn and hauberks hanging on rods.  It's definitely not leather trim around the neck line because it's depicted in the middle of the chest while worn.

I had to look at the pic again to spot the square on the one guy where it is being worn, I missed it earlier. I'm not sure what is going on with that guy.

The ones on the pole, I still believe are leather trimmed necks. A properly tailored haubergeon / hauberk isn't symmetrical front and back, and the back will have a straighter cut than the front of the neck, and look "open" from the front, similar to how it sits on the pole. The edging at the end of the sleeves and lower hem seems to support the leather used specifically for edging, and although I've only done so around the house so far, I've noticed less "snagging" with a leather trimmed edge by having fewer "loose" rings to catch easily and letting the mail "slide" more naturally when going on/off - this may be a modernism due to the way our modern indian produced mail has the lumpy rivets vs proper smoother historical mail, so I don't consider it as anything other than personal experience. I did take my inspiration on the leather trim from the Bayeaux Tapestry images a couple years back.

See these people, also from Bayeaux Tapestry (Battle of Normandy), who seem to be wearing mail with a leather collar or trim. Note that none of them have a square of leather on their chest. They also seem to have the same sleeve and hem leather trim, not likely to be an undergarment since it follows the flow of the mail and sticks out, which makes me suspect it is attached/laced together in some way.

King Harold and someone next to him (off to the right) not only seem to have leather trimmed sleeves, but a second sleeve of mail underneath, with it's own leather trim. He is also "missing" the square reinforcing bit in front, and if the pattern of mail in the picture can be taken as generally correct, it appears his coif is worn inside the haubergeon, and the haubergeon neck has leather trim.

None of them have a raised ventail either, all picture with open faces / norman conicals, which I think further shows it likely was not an opened ventail. If the King himself didn't have a ventail, I would be surprised if other soldiers did. I do wonder if Harold had a hauberk under a haubergeon for substantial double-layered protection, due to the prominence of his seemingly double-sleeves.
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2014-02-11, 02:02:56 »
lol u also gotta remember this was made by women several years after the fact as a propaganda machine. it wasn't made as a period history lesson lol

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2014-02-11, 02:11:16 »
Though it seems to me to have a lot of English undertones rather than a strictly pro-Norman message. And the artists seem to have an eye for detail. I think the Bayeux Tapestry can be used greatly as a historical source.

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
« Reply #13 on: 2014-02-11, 02:51:53 »
Also vote for leather covered neck/arm ends, also helps taking it on/off.
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2014-02-11, 03:22:49 »
Historian J. R. Planche argued in 1847 that it was a "square pectoral" used for an extra layer of protection.