"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences."
                -- Koto Midori

Author Topic: Out of power  (Read 6792 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Out of power
« on: 2014-02-05, 22:43:30 »
The power has been out since I woke up this morning due to the weather. Someone please help me. I'm growing very bored.
There's a chance of no power for a few days.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Out of power
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-05, 23:48:47 »
The power has been out since I woke up this morning due to the weather. Someone please help me. I'm growing very bored.

Here's an opportunity to appreciate the Middle Ages :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-06, 00:09:33 »
My sister lost her power for 30 minutes but it came back on. We havent lost anything but a tree in our backyard broke and crashed now we got a branch to clean up afterward. I didnt fare well during sandy at all though so I got an everlasting fear of power outages, mainly because the internet is how I keep in contact with ALL of my friends and I cant stand being alone at all.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-06, 02:58:11 »

Here's an opportunity to appreciate the Middle Ages :)

Hah! Indeed.

It's funny. I feel completely lost without power or internet these days, but I'm enough of a techie that this was true for me even before we all got on the net (I used to use a modem to get into dial-up BBSes prior to the web taking over).

A friend and I were talking not too long ago about how different it is for kids these days, with iPhones, iPads, internet, gameboys (and similar portable game systems), and so on. The option to never be bored is so pervasive, that kids are losing the the skill of "how to be bored". What I mean by that, is that we all used to have times where we were bored, and didn't have many options, so we invented our own games, and made our own fun when faced with it. My age group might be among the last generation to have faced that. ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-06, 03:46:05 »
we lost power here today... so I turned on the gas fireplace and went to work hehehe

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-06, 05:31:01 »
Luckily I had a fire place, I went old fashioned today. Cut some wood with my sword. Finished sharpening and using a stoneon my sword. And just tended the fire all day. Wasn't  awful, power came back on by 7.
But school was canceled today. And is tomorrow
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-06, 16:19:38 »
You should never use a sword for cutting wood, Nate.  Bad for the sword- yours is of a type that was made primarily for slashing and hacking cuts on softer targets.  ;)

Still, when I was your age, we used to go outside and do something we called 'playing' but no one does it anymore in the real world, its all online.  Myself included...I just recently broke away from GTA Online...took a good deal of willpower to shut my 360 off.  Then I turned on my PS3 just to watch Netflix (doesn't work well on the 360).  But you know what?  One of my favorite things to do, still, is read.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-06, 16:27:09 »
You should never use a sword for cutting wood, Nate.  Bad for the sword- yours is of a type that was made primarily for slashing and hacking cuts on softer targets.  ;)

Still, when I was your age, we used to go outside and do something we called 'playing' but no one does it anymore in the real world, its all online.  Myself included...I just recently broke away from GTA Online...took a good deal of willpower to shut my 360 off.  Then I turned on my PS3 just to watch Netflix (doesn't work well on the 360).  But you know what?  One of my favorite things to do, still, is read.

I miss reading...so much of my time is spent connected in one way or the other...

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-02-06, 16:33:07 »
Well, there's the Kindle my wife got me a couple of Christmases ago...I balked at using it at first because I was a huge fan of my paperbacks but...I have near 100 books on my Kindle and room for more.  I could carry my whole library if I bothered to acquire them all digitally.  But I tend to keep the wireless off so I don't get any notices or reminders as I'm reading; only turning on to acquire new books.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-02-06, 20:08:27 »

Quoting this since it's important; blade geometry of a sword is nothing like an axe, and it isn't meant to split wood. You can damage it, and even if it doesn't, it's harsh on the blade.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2014-02-07, 00:40:51 »
there is a quote in the 15th century about lords not giving men swords in the retinues cause all they did was cut wood with them lol

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2014-02-07, 04:35:14 »
there is a quote in the 15th century about lords not giving men swords in the retinues cause all they did was cut wood with them lol

I show why. Lol
I knew it would be bad for the sword. But I just got an urge to go mike loades on a piece of oak.
Boy did it cut fine. I only did it a little, I actually wished I had an axe. Just felt like maiming wood. I got to burn it though, so it went well.
I should have read something. I got all 3 lord of the ring books, and I'm chose to be on the internet.
I think it was because I was doing something that I now had little access to.
Here's a funny pic someone sent me.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order