"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: Butted maille  (Read 11487 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Butted maille
« on: 2014-02-05, 22:01:44 »
What makes butted maille armor so bad?
Wasn't it use in the Middle East?
Or history in general?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Butted maille
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-05, 22:07:37 »
Butted maille is only strong if made from considerably thick gauges of wire.  Otherwise upon impact the rings deform very easily and fall off.  It becomes more hassle than it's worth.  Thick gauges of wire mean heavy armor.  A riveted maille can be made much lighter for equivalent if not superior protection value than a very heavy butted maille shirt.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-05, 22:09:19 »
Butted rings are more likely to pop open under stress. There's nothing holding the ends together other than the ring's own strength; just an open gap. Riveted rings are overlapped, then held secure with another solid piece of metal. The rings could still fail under the right circumstances, of course, but it's a lot stronger.

Edit: Ninja'd by Ian.
« Last Edit: 2014-02-05, 22:22:32 by DouglasTheYounger »
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-05, 22:28:49 »
Butted maille is only strong if made from considerably thick gauges of wire.  Otherwise upon impact the rings deform very easily and fall off.  It becomes more hassle than it's worth.  Thick gauges of wire mean heavy armor.  A riveted maille can be made much lighter for equivalent if not superior protection value than a very heavy butted maille shirt.

Ya I thought about that, just confirming it.

Quote from: DouglasTheYounger link=topic=3007.msg45297#msg45297 date=

Edit: Ninja'd by Ian.
[/quote

Indeed
« Last Edit: 2014-02-05, 22:30:58 by Sir Nate »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-05, 22:45:00 »
think about it. when i used to make 14 and 16 guage mail coifs and shirts I would bend the rings together with my fingers... would this stop a sword cut then?

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-05, 22:48:19 »
think about it. when i used to make 14 and 16 guage mail coifs and shirts I would bend the rings together with my fingers... would this stop a sword cut then?

No....
But I have a thick wired maille hauberk. And I need a tool to work with it.
But some areas weren't put together very well.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-06, 00:23:31 »
i bet u have 16 guage lol

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-06, 05:55:03 »
i bet u have 16 guage lol

Ye olde mother has 16gauge!
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-06, 15:24:15 »
Off the top of my head I believe Far East (Japan) used butted mail somewhat frequently. However, they didn't use the European pattern, they didn't have all round rings, and it was sewn "flat" against the fabric sleeves (kote).
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2014-02-06, 15:37:59 »
Off the top of my head I believe Far East (Japan) used butted mail somewhat frequently. However, they didn't use the European pattern, they didn't have all round rings, and it was sewn "flat" against the fabric sleeves (kote).

Ohhh, Far East. Ok, well I guess over all butted maille is decoration.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #10 on: 2014-02-06, 15:39:43 »
Could always weld each piece.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2014-02-06, 16:04:49 »
You could, but then it would still be historically inaccurate...not to mention, you're talking about over 10,000 individual welds; a lot of time and effort.  I was once like you- maybe worse because I needed instant gratification and had the means at my disposal...but thousands of dollars later, not to mention over a dozen different shirts, habergeons and hauberks later, I'm still in the market for something new and better.

I'm not sure if I would have been better served to have gotten exactly what I want and need from the beginning as part of the fun of this hobby is in acquisitions- at least, that is the case for me.  ymmv
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #12 on: 2014-02-06, 20:54:07 »
You could, but then it would still be historically inaccurate...not to mention, you're talking about over 10,000 individual welds; a lot of time and effort.  I was once like you- maybe worse because I needed instant gratification and had the means at my disposal...but thousands of dollars later, not to mention over a dozen different shirts, habergeons and hauberks later, I'm still in the market for something new and better.

I'm not sure if I would have been better served to have gotten exactly what I want and need from the beginning as part of the fun of this hobby is in acquisitions- at least, that is the case for me.  ymmv

I am saving money for a soft kit and after that I am saving money for historically accurate Items in terms of armor. The outfit you see me in, in ny pictures, was before I cared about historically accurate stuff. But after being on this forum I am saving for top notch accurate stuff. Again, before I just bought whatever I thought would look cool. I am currently stuck between butted chausses for $70 or flat wedged for $350. Its such a mental battle haha. Buy it now or wait a year.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2014-02-06, 21:26:44 »
I know what you mean...having been there, done that and in some cases, still doing it.  For whatever reason, I still peruse the MRL/Windlass catalog and if I see something I like, I might get it- even though it'll be anachronistic and not authentic to any one period, if at all.  That applies mostly to swords though, and the occasional garment- never the armor as most of it sucks both in quality and fitment.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2014-02-06, 22:31:29 »
I know what you mean...having been there, done that and in some cases, still doing it.  For whatever reason, I still peruse the MRL/Windlass catalog and if I see something I like, I might get it- even though it'll be anachronistic and not authentic to any one period, if at all.  That applies mostly to swords though, and the occasional garment- never the armor as most of it sucks both in quality and fitment.

That sounds farbish.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order