"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Dei enim Marshall!!  (Read 6453 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Dei enim Marshall!!
« on: 2014-02-05, 19:31:28 »
This was a neat little video about William Marshall's tournament days.

-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Dei enim Marshall!!
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-05, 21:18:19 »
Yes, that one is a good watch.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-05, 21:50:17 »
Ya I enjoyed its info on mock battles.
It told you it was a good video to post
Aiden the maiden.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-05, 21:54:20 »
What ever you say Nathan the mnathan.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-05, 21:56:22 »
Do you hear this troll over here
James manderson.
Anyway I like the visuals the video gives.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-06, 16:26:09 »
The Marshal was indeed one of the greatest knight who ever lived.  The jousts he participated in were not the highly stylized civil affair it became after his passing.  Could you imagine participating on a team of mounted knights as part of a much larger melee battle?

I take issue with this video on some of its claims, like "testing his armor" - when the Marshal, or any of his contemporaries, never wore any plate armor at all, so why's he having a go at a full plate harness with a lance?  That was funny to me.

The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-06, 16:48:55 »

I take issue with this video on some of its claims, like "testing his armor" - when the Marshal, or any of his contemporaries, never wore any plate armor at all, so why's he having a go at a full plate harness with a lance?  That was funny to me.

I immediately picked that out, too. I suppose it probably had to do with keeping the host safe. Later on he does get into more period armor, and I think they mentioned that there wouldn't have been any plate armor at that time, but the average viewer would probably miss that.

On an unrelated note, does anyone happen to know who that one jouster is in the first few seconds of the video? The one with azure, on an pale or, a sword sable (or however that would go)? I swear I've seen those arms somewhere before.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-06, 20:28:39 »
I did not view all the way through, but I plan on doing so tonight- I got a Chromecast thingy for Christmas so now I can put whatever I'm looking at on the laptop onto the big screen in my war chambers (man cave)!
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-06, 21:07:30 »

I immediately picked that out, too. I suppose it probably had to do with keeping the host safe. Later on he does get into more period armor, and I think they mentioned that there wouldn't have been any plate armor at that time, but the average viewer would probably miss that.

On an unrelated note, does anyone happen to know who that one jouster is in the first few seconds of the video? The one with azure, on an pale or, a sword sable (or however that would go)? I swear I've seen those arms somewhere before.

Dido, i also noticed the plate armor thing which I didn't understand. Also I did not notice the coat of arms I will have to look back on that. I too will try and figure it out. I giggled a bit when he said "mystery on how people told friend from foe" and it turned out to be coat of arms. I personally thought that to be a duh moment. Btw, rugby in maille armor anyone? Go out to the soccer-field for a few rounds? No? Ok... This is off topic, but its said that maille is considered to be spelled wrong and is not a word. DARN YOU D&D!!

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-02-06, 21:24:51 »
LOL @ D&D

It did have its uses- if only getting us nerd-types into this pursuit in the first place.  I like to use the old spelling, 'maille', because usually when you type it as 'mail' a lot of people will assume you're referring to the postal service (not on here, thankfully) - so it was a habit I got into and am stuck in it now.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #10 on: 2014-02-06, 22:03:10 »
I generally spell it "mail" in places or situations where I know it won't be confused, but automatically switch to "maille" where it might cause confusion. I don't even think about it; my brain just automatically does it for some reason. I try to avoid "chainmail" at all costs, though. That was a hard habit to break. ;)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-02-06, 23:01:36 »
I generally spell it "mail" in places or situations where I know it won't be confused, but automatically switch to "maille" where it might cause confusion. I don't even think about it; my brain just automatically does it for some reason. I try to avoid "chainmail" at all costs, though. That was a hard habit to break. ;)

About as hard as bear wrestling
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order