"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Eat like a hobbit Sunday.  (Read 15066 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Eat like a hobbit Sunday.
« Reply #30 on: 2014-01-19, 01:50:45 »
Gentlemen - again I find myself inspired.  Many familiar stories here - too bad we don't live close enough to organize a medieval fitness group :)  I have to make it through this next six months - after that will have more time to fit in exercise and healthy hobbies (like HEMA).  But ugh, the waistline has been getting tight again the last 3-4 months :(

Hey Guys, Look on the bright side. 50 is the new 40. 40 is the new 30. 30 is the new 20. 18 is 18. and thats about it.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #31 on: 2014-02-09, 16:10:59 »
You guys know what day of the month it is?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #32 on: 2014-02-11, 01:57:12 »
Weigh in day?

I’m in at 145, down 5 in the last few weeks.  The only change was not taking seconds at dinner.  This is more difficult than it sounds; my wife is an EXCELLENT  :) cook.
« Last Edit: 2014-02-11, 01:57:52 by Lord Rodney »
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #33 on: 2014-02-11, 12:17:45 »
I've also lost a decent a mount of weight. Well I way more now but I'm thinner. Gettin rid of all dat fat
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2014-02-11, 20:11:29 »
Weigh in day?

I’m in at 145, down 5 in the last few weeks.  The only change was not taking seconds at dinner.  This is more difficult than it sounds; my wife is an EXCELLENT  :) cook.

145?!?  What the hell are you complaining about, man?  I don't wish I was that thin, but I wish I was much closer to it than I am now!  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #35 on: 2014-02-12, 03:21:42 »
Sorry, typo alert!  That was supposed to read 245.  I haven’t weighed 145 since junior high.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #36 on: 2014-02-12, 04:45:53 »
Haha, was about to say, "he weighs less than me...". During the winter time, especially when its this cold, its eat like a hobbit everyday. The only thing counteracting to that is shoveling. Like I said for my fitness plan on another post: "run in the morning in thy maille" like the knights of old used to do.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2014-02-12, 19:36:27 »
I do not recall in any of my readings of knights running in the morning while clad in maille, Aiden.  Do you happen to know where you read that? 

I have heard of the odd group who do this on a regular basis, but they're modern re-enactors; I'd love to read some reference material regarding this.  At the very least, it sounds like a good idea on paper- although, I imagine your 'laundress' might take issue with the increased amount of clothes that need washing.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2014-02-12, 20:36:44 »
I do not recall in any of my readings of knights running in the morning while clad in maille, Aiden.  Do you happen to know where you read that? 

I have heard of the odd group who do this on a regular basis, but they're modern re-enactors; I'd love to read some reference material regarding this.  At the very least, it sounds like a good idea on paper- although, I imagine your 'laundress' might take issue with the increased amount of clothes that need washing.  lol

Actually knights would do a 5 mile run in the woods in their armor.
It was on going medieval by mike loades.
It was part of their workout and training.
Idk about every morning though.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #39 on: 2014-02-12, 22:03:12 »

Actually knights would do a 5 mile run in the woods in their armor.
It was on going medieval by mike loades.
It was part of their workout and training.
Idk about every morning though.

Sir Nate is correct, in the program Going Medieval by Mike Loades this is stated. Do you question the word of Mile Loades?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #40 on: 2014-02-14, 16:34:28 »

I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere else as well. There was an accounting of running a couple of miles in armor daily in order to stay in shape. Can't remember where else I saw it though, other than Mike Loades.

There was even more recommended when training up for a duel, but this was a general fitness sort of thing, separate from that.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #41 on: 2014-02-14, 19:55:18 »
Methinks if I do that every day, to improve my agility, I'll be able to run faster than a horse.