"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Eat like a hobbit Sunday.  (Read 15019 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Eat like a hobbit Sunday.
« on: 2014-01-12, 19:07:22 »
Every Sunday I'm going to wake up and Eat throughout the Day like a hobbit.
"What About Second Breakfast"
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Eat like a hobbit Sunday.
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-13, 04:56:31 »
I did it. I ate like pippin describes throughout the day. I am living the hobbit life.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-13, 14:45:23 »

One of our cats thinks he's a hobbit. He always gets second breakfast, supper, dinner, second dinner... you get the idea. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-13, 16:39:13 »
You might not want to adopt that as a regular thing, Sir Nate- at least not once you've gotten older and your metabolism slows down to that of a snail's pace.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-13, 16:46:29 »
You might not want to adopt that as a regular thing, Sir Nate- at least not once you've gotten older and your metabolism slows down to that of a snail's pace.  lol
"I'm not likely to grow anymore, except sideways." Pippin rotk.
Meh once a month.
I'll have to go for long walks like hobbits too. I should avoid the alcohol intake of hobbits.

One of our cats thinks he's a hobbit. He always gets second breakfast, supper, dinner, second dinner... you get the idea. :)

My cat wishes it were like that.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-13, 17:33:50 »
I was in eat-like-a-Hobbit mode yesterday, too. By which I mean I had two toaster pastries instead of just one. I'm an extremely light eater most of the time. :P
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-01-14, 17:45:22 »
Then you're doing it wrong, Douglas.  lol

I can't eat like that anymore...its gotten so that watching my intake is an unconscious action more often than not.  I avoid buffets for that specific reason- I'm not going to get my money's worth and truthfully, it doesn't even taste that good to me anymore.  I do miss it though...Old Country Buffet was my best friend on Sundays; I used to take my daughters there on Sundays and we'd get there just before the church rush.  Good times.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2014-01-14, 20:05:36 »

Yeah, for most of us, the metabolism changes a bit with age. When I was in my early '20s, I could eat a half-gallon of ice cream and still lose weight. I weighed about 60 lbs less than I do now.

Now I have to be more careful. The weight slowly creeps upward if I eat everything I want and don't exercise.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2014-01-14, 20:06:07 »
You just need to have the meals pippin describes. Including tea.
I think bacon should be included for breakfast.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-01-14, 20:29:27 »
When I was in my early '20s, I could eat a half-gallon of ice cream and still lose weight. I weighed about 60 lbs less than I do now.

Now I have to be more careful. The weight slowly creeps upward if I eat everything I want and don't exercise.

Amen; for me, it was another plate of fried chicken, mashed pots and green beans (OCB, I miss you lol) but in either case, I could eat like that and not gain a pound.  Now, if I look at food wrong I'm gaining.  So not fair!

I weighed myself over the weekend, I'm 200 lbs.  Heaviest I've ever been in my entire life.  I have a small frame, so its pretty ugly right about now.  Thing is, I'm not stressing over it like I think I should be, I'm almost to the point of not caring.  A favorite pair of khaki's no longer fits due to the excess spare tire; I'm just so disgusted with it all.  Curiously though, I feel no real compunction to do anything about it.  I look at my uncles, who were all my size when they were roughly my age...and with one exception (two if you count my Dad), all the rest of them are well over 200 and have the big guts to prove it.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2014-01-14, 21:12:39 »
When I was in my early '20s, I could eat a half-gallon of ice cream and still lose weight. I weighed about 60 lbs less than I do now.

Amen; for me, it was another plate of fried chicken, mashed pots and green beans (OCB, I miss you lol) but in either case, I could eat like that and not gain a pound.  Now, if I look at food wrong I'm gaining.  So not fair!

I weighed myself over the weekend, I'm 200 lbs.  Heaviest I've ever been in my entire life.  I have a small frame, so its pretty ugly right about now.  Thing is, I'm not stressing over it like I think I should be, I'm almost to the point of not caring.  A favorite pair of khaki's no longer fits due to the excess spare tire; I'm just so disgusted with it all.  Curiously though, I feel no real compunction to do anything about it.  I look at my uncles, who were all my size when they were roughly my age...and with one exception (two if you count my Dad), all the rest of them are well over 200 and have the big guts to prove it.
I way more than you. But I'm 15 6 ft. Tall an have recently Put on a lot of muscle and losty most of my belly. Holding up my New Years resolution.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2014-01-14, 22:07:57 »
I hear you, Nate.  However, my ideal weight is 168lbs; I've been getting by at 175 since my early 30s but ideally, that's what I would weigh.  Small frame and all that; but we are the same height.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2014-01-15, 02:45:09 »
Well Im only supposed to grow a little more.

"Im not likely to grow much more. Except Sideways."
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #13 on: 2014-01-15, 11:51:35 »

Fatten him up enough & I'll make your cat second breakfast. :P Yum!!! (Hope it's Persian)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2014-01-15, 16:13:05 »
I hear you, Nate.  However, my ideal weight is 168lbs; I've been getting by at 175 since my early 30s but ideally, that's what I would weigh.  Small frame and all that; but we are the same height.

I'm hoping to stay around 200 but drop some inches from my waistline; I was a 29" waist in high school (36" now) and about 80 pounds less than I was Dec 2012 (150 in high school). I've dropped some weight since my peak but still hovering around 200. I think I'm slightly lucky in that diet doesn't seem to matter; chocolate frosting for dinner 3 times a week and didn't gain a pound; ramen noodles for dinner 5 times a week and didn't gain or lose a pound. Seems to be exercise only; a bit of exercise, I can drop some weight; no exercise, and I just "maintain".

Something I did since Jan 2013 is I've substantially cut down on fast food. It used to be dinner 2-3 times a week and lunch 3-4 times a week; only had it for dinner a few times last year (with my parents), and usually only 1-2 times a week at lunch (social time w/coworkers). I also don't keep soda at home except on rare occasions (Thanksgiving, Christmas) and only have it when I go out to dinner or with my parents (typically once a week or less). Seems to have helped.

My main motivation has been that Italian style armor I bought; the cuirass was 4" too small in the waist for me, and I knew that when I bought it. It's about 2" too small last time I tried it on (Nov). If there's anything that can motivate me to drop some pounds, it's fitting into armor.

But I still refuse to eat veggies! :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent