"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Madeln helm  (Read 6062 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Madeln helm
« on: 2014-01-03, 04:37:05 »
Well after Christmas I did have some money and gift cards as gifts so spending this wouldn't be that big an impact. Joe Metz was selling a Madeln Great Helm, by Royal Oak Armory, I had to pick it up because at the price I got it for I was sure I wasn't gonna get it any bit cheaper elsewhere and I would rather get one than regret not getting one in the future. I plan to use it with my heraldic kit, oddly I see better out of this one as the eye slits are 1CM wide and taper as they go to the side. I like how it has a mantle at the top too, I plan to possibly add a crest as it has holes to mount one. Fits me a bit tighter than my Dargen one, but thats not really a problem as it moves around less as a result.

Here are some pics, it might look magenta but the mantle is red and matches my heraldry, this kind of great helm isn't normally reproduced so I am glad to own one, though I see why they added oculars like on the Dargen, it makes blades not fall into the eye slits that well. Any suggestions for crests? I am 100% positive I can attach one to this one unlike my Dargen this one has holes in the top to do so.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Madeln helm
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-03, 19:00:04 »
wow that is so nice

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-03, 19:01:45 »
Very cool!  Love the mantle.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-03, 19:06:28 »
Very nice!! Anything from Royal Oak is typically top-notch craftsmanship (and very expensive). 14-gauge mild steel with a liner I assume.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-05, 23:40:17 »
Nice, congrats! Didn't even see he had that for sale.

For crest, something heraldic. Not sure how to do the iron cross or the sun, though. You aren't restricted to just that, though. For a "full" heraldry, there were animals and such outside of the "shield" part of the heraldry, so you have lots of options.

I'd check on the Knights Arts page for crests and see if he has something you like. Makes it easier to pick from a crest that you know you can buy, instead of picking something, then trying to find it for sale. The flip side is you have something other's might, but it's easier (and generally cheaper) to go with something already available.
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-06, 14:42:52 »
Nice pickup, Ulrich- a good looking helm.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-01-07, 05:18:17 »
Yeah, I don't exactly see how the Iron Cross or Sun Face would be a crest, though my buckles on my sword scabbard have horses on it, was thinking a horse rearing up on the top of the helm could be a good symbol and wouldn't look bad. Only issue I have there is it might be brittle cause horses have awfully thin legs and I want mine to be as durable as possible because when driving as we don't have the biggest car to store stuff in. Though I could opt for the "hand crest" at the top would would suit my Teutonic looking theme well enough, only issue would be finding one.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #7 on: 2014-01-07, 08:29:46 »
How about just a horse's head? Like a bust from the neck up; I've seen it done with a wolf before.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2014-01-07, 14:51:05 »
Though I could opt for the "hand crest" at the top would would suit my Teutonic looking theme well enough, only issue would be finding one.

I was going to mention a clenched fist. It's something that existed as a charge and crest design, but you rarely see anyone use it today.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-01-07, 21:44:20 »
Knightly arts has a hand/fist/gauntlet of some sort.
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #10 on: 2014-01-07, 22:03:35 »
Very nice
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max