"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Leg Arming Points  (Read 5311 times)

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
Leg Arming Points
« on: 2013-12-18, 02:58:22 »
I often see arming points for leg armor attached towards the front-ish part of the leg. However, whenever I tie something to the front of my leg (armor, woolen chausses, whatever), I often find that it gets uncomfortable after a while. There's too much motion going on with the point. It slacks when I sit or otherwise bend my legs forward and whatever is on my leg slides down. Then when I get back up or otherwise put my legs backwards, it tries to pull said leg-gear back to the original position with varying degrees of success. Woolen chausses aren't too bad, but I find that my mail tends to get "stuck" in its lower position and just causes all kinds of problems. To combat this, I started pointing things to the sides of my legs so that it follows the natural pivot and there's not as much stretching and compression going on at the point.

But the thing is, I know I've seen plenty of people point to the front (The pics of Ian's Charles de Blois pourpoint immediately come to mind - there seems to be a point directly at the front, and one sort of off to the side, but still somewhat towards the front). So anyone who has pointed to the front, is there some kind of trick to it that I'm missing? It seems like it wouldn't be ergonomic, but it must be if so many people do it. I mostly ask so I'll have some heads-up in case I ever start making plate leg harnesses. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the location of the point relative to the hips, but I can't quite figure it out....
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
Re: Leg Arming Points
« Reply #1 on: 2013-12-18, 14:20:40 »
Aye, pointing is a mystery to me too...I am about to get some loaner legs for SCA and somehow I have to point it and make sure they are comfy...

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-12-18, 14:56:57 »
Doug, what are you pointing your armor to? And are we talking about maille chausses or plate cuisses?
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2013-12-18, 15:47:30 »

As far as I know, fabric chausses should be pointed at the sides, and mail chausses were likely done the same way.

For plate legs, I think the idea is that most of the weight should be held up by the strapping, particularly at the top of the calf muscles, and the pointing only partially holds some weight, and otherwise is just meant to keep the top of the cuisse from separating from the leg.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2013-12-18, 18:15:43 »
Doug, what are you pointing your armor to? And are we talking about maille chausses or plate cuisses?

Started with pointing my mail chausses to my aketon, but switched to a belt.
I'm mostly wondering about the pointing method for plate, though, since I'd eventually like to try my hand at some. I understand the need for a pourpoint that's tight around the waist and that has grand assiette sleeves and whatnot, I'm just a little unsure about the actual attachment of the cuisses.

As far as I know, fabric chausses should be pointed at the sides, and mail chausses were likely done the same way.

For plate legs, I think the idea is that most of the weight should be held up by the strapping, particularly at the top of the calf muscles, and the pointing only partially holds some weight, and otherwise is just meant to keep the top of the cuisse from separating from the leg.

Yeah, I found out that both types of my chausses worked a lot better when attached to the side, so I'd be inclined to agree with you there. ;D That's the only downside with making this stuff as opposed to buying it from someone who knows what they're doing....lots of trial and error.

So it's mostly the strapping that keeps leg harnesses in place? I'd imagine they'd have to be fairly tight, then, right?
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-12-18, 22:25:58 »
I'm going to disagree with Ed on the strapping of a leg harness.  The only straps on my leg harness I cinch tight are the straps that secure the leather wrapper at the top of the cuisse so it sits firmly on the thigh, but that's not really holding them on.  If I jumped up and down and ran around they'd slip.  The strap behind me knee is exceptionally loose on purpose or it will restrict movement, and the strap below that goes around the greave, so it's not really even strapped to me.  The bulk of the support that keeps my leg harness up is on the points.  This is what keeps me mobile.  The cuisses don't weigh down on my greaves at all.  My greaves are supported by my calf, and are also held up by the pin that inserts them in to the demi-greave of my cuisse.  So at some positions, my points could in theory be holding up my cuisses and my greaves.  This keeps virtually the entirety of the load bearing on my hips. 

The #1 expendable piece of arming gear are the points themselves, so they're expected to take the brunt of the wear.  This is similar to my arm harness, where it's the points that keep the rerebrace at the proper height to ensure the elbow doesn't slip,  not the rerebrace straps, they just keep it from flopping about.

I point my leg harness very tight so that the strain is on the garment and I've never had an issue with mobility.  If they are left loose, then they will shift and hinder mobility.  I pull the points tight until it lifts the knee in to the right spot at full flex and then tie them with a single bow.  I hand-braided my points and waxed them so they're pretty strong, but if they wear out or part, I'll  just replace them.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-12-18, 22:37:52 »
*** Sir Ian ninja'd my dissertation. I typed it up already, so I'm going to leave it - but I'm rehashing some of what he said ***

*** Edit: Forgot to mention a different in armors; Sir Edward has cuisses but no greaves or sabatons, whereas Sir Ian and I both have cased (closed) greaves and sabatons. Having the demi-greave strap taking some weight by tightening down above the calf may be necessary with the lack of greaves? ***

This might help some: http://www.james-anderson-iii.com/tutorials/pages/how-a-man-shall-be-armed/

Pardon the horribly inaccurate mail fauld suspension, it was properly attached to the arming coat a couple months ago, and voiders to follow. I have newer pics I need to get online at some point.

The general principle is the front points should be as short as possible and attached/pivot right near the natural inset of the upper thigh. The side points will be longer, and are primarily there to help keep the leg armor from "twisting" sideways on the upper thigh. Sometimes there are two sets of points on the side, directly at the outer edges and another in-between that and the front point.

Greaves should rest on the calf and be self-supporting - if you didn't get your greaves done from a leg casting, you're probably out of luck. I have somewhat stocky calves, and the way my calf muscles flex prevents the greaves from sitting nicely over them without pinching when flexing during motion. My fallback plan was that they ride on the top of the sabatons (and is period appropriate in appearance). It does put some weight on the sabatons themselves, but it's negligible to me until it's been 6+ hours in harness.

I have the cuisses riding on a peg/hole from the greaves. This helps keep the cuisses somewhat "preloaded" in that they aren't pulling the whole weight down off my arming coat, and gives the points a small bit of slack thanks to the articulation at the knees.

The lower cuisse strap goes around the greave. Some leg harnesses won't have this if they are a single assembly (very late period armors), or, the greaves may only have a lower strap since the strap from the demi-greave makes the upper greave strap redundant. In this case, the greave usually has a retaining pin/strap on the upper rear that the demi-greave strap passes through/over to help keep the greave closed and keep the strap in place. My new set of greaves has that retaining hole; I'll get some updated pictures since I need to replace my greave straps anyway.

The cuisse strap that goes behind the knees should not be overly tightened. It is to keep the knee from flopping forward too much when articulating, and exposing more leg than needed. If it is too tight, it can cut off circulation, and can also bind up on the fabric when really flexing your legs (like kneeling) - less of an issue if you're wearing only tights/leggings.

The upper cuisse strap around the thigh should, unless you have very pole-shaped legs, be somewhat loose as well. If it is too tight to try to support the weight, when your muscles flex as you move around, the cuisses will keep riding downwards, but can't go back up (most people's thighs are larger at the top and narrow down towards the knees). It is another strap primarily to keep the armor from flopping away loosely or over-exposing more fleshy bits - but should not be supporting weight.

Generally speaking, the straps on the cuisses shouldn't be supporting any weight. The only exception is the demi-greave strap at the bottom, if there is no pin/post on the greave to attach the two assemblies. Even then, if it's bearing any weight, it should be minimal; almost all of the weight should be carried from the arming garment.

I'd ditch the belt and point from your gambeson if possible. If not, a pourpoint is far better than a belt. Unless you do an X-harness style belt like my mail fauld thing - but again, that's historically inaccurate (or rather, I never saw any examples) and was a modern concession so that I had adjustable height of my fauld.

Let me know if you need/want any specific pictures or more info.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-18, 22:40:31 by James Anderson III »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Douglas

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2013-12-19, 04:31:02 »
Lots of really good information there, gents. I think I understand the engineering behind the front points, now, as well as proper weight distribution. Thank you. I greatly appreciate it. :)

If/when I get into plate armor, I had planned to make a properly tailored arming garment first so I wouldn't have to rely on a belt. That was just a last minute jerry rig for my mail chausses after pointing to my aketon proved unsatisfactory. But mail is a different beast from plate, and in this case I'm more concerned with plate, so I digress...though now I think I have some ideas on improving my chausses as well.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2013-12-19, 12:33:07 »
fabric chausis are seen pointed to the front in earlier and to the side in later times

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2013-12-19, 16:30:00 »

Yeah, the difference may be with the presence or absence of the greaves. A cuisse with demi-greaves only seems to work very nicely with a tight strap below the knee. It helps support the whole leg without a noticeable restriction of movement. Your mileage may vary. ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )