"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: jack-chains  (Read 5106 times)

Sir Vander Linde

• Forum Follower
  • Protokoll....
jack-chains
« on: 2013-11-26, 03:14:57 »
well what makes jack-chains, jack-chains and not some other armor. in other words to what extent can they go before becoming something else?  curious because I started a set, and well the only part that resembles jack-chain is the forearm part, other wise it has a elbow cop and a single piece spaudler. I have both sides done to a early WIP stage. but was not sure if to call them jacks or not. they will most likely become a loner set for reenactment for someone of lower class man-at-arms.   just would like to know what you all think. Are Jack-chains supposed to resemble 3 part point tied arms, or just strips of steel?

I'll try to up load picks in a bit.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-26, 03:16:20 by Sir Vander Linde »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: jack-chains
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-26, 14:08:47 »

My understanding is that the upper arm, and forearm areas are only covered in strips, with chain-like connections to the elbow and shoulder (both of which may have only a small cop, or something a little larger). The idea is to have something very lightweight (and inexpensive in materials) to add that extra bit of protection on the arms and shoulders, but otherwise the "jack" is the main armor.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Vander Linde

• Forum Follower
  • Protokoll....
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-26, 15:37:46 »
All righty.  :D   so what I've been working on is a mix breed then.  Heck I'll just redo the upper arm protection so it is just a chain piece rather than a spaudler like thing.

I shrunk a pic I snapped with my phone, of the WIP of the left side. Not jack-chains I guess, if I didn't redo the upper, what would this hybridization be called?  or should I just remake the fore arm or the upper and not worry about it.

« Last Edit: 2013-11-26, 15:39:43 by Sir Vander Linde »

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-26, 21:15:00 »
An old topic, but you might find some useful information here in this discussion at MyArmoury.com
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-27, 15:46:07 »
Aside from the larger elbow cop / couter, I think I would be inclined to call that more of an "almain rivet" arm harness. It was a very basic, almost jack-chain met splint met early transitional arm harness and had a weird love triangle child, hybrid sort of armor.

Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-27, 17:31:04 »
Wasn't there a study a while back talking about how a set of Jack Chains caught 80% of arm cuts one would expect in a fight from a sword or poleweapon?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Vander Linde

• Forum Follower
  • Protokoll....
« Reply #6 on: 2013-12-01, 23:31:18 »
Aside from the larger elbow cop / couter, I think I would be inclined to call that more of an "almain rivet" arm harness. It was a very basic, almost jack-chain met splint met early transitional arm harness and had a weird love triangle child, hybrid sort of armor.

I Like that very much!  Time to rework or make new ones   ;D