"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Functional Leather armor?  (Read 10162 times)

Sir Wulf

• New Forum Member
Re: Functional Leather armor?
« Reply #15 on: 2013-11-25, 18:24:12 »
Nice! I can't believe I missed that site. I might have to modify my idea some. That breastplate would make a good foundation for what I have in mind.
Speak useful words or be silent.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2013-11-27, 15:08:13 »
Yes, the samurai armor that was lacquered is a toxic process. They didn't use "raw" leather. They hardened the leather scales because they lacked the ability to forge steel like the europeans could.

Like Sir Wolf said, there's not much as far as "historical" leather armor. Even 2,000 years ago they were using bronze, not leather.

If you want something functional that just "doesn't look like LARP", check the Viking Leathercrafts armor. They do full arms/shoulders/legs.

Concur and he also does a cuirass as well in 13-15 oz leather!  ;)
http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/torso-armor.html

That's who I meant by Viking Leathercrafts, not viking era specific. Sorry, I should have posted a link. Thanks for doing so, Sir Brian.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wulf

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: 2013-11-27, 16:10:23 »
After further discussion on my end, I have decided to proceed with my idea. It will be marginally heavier than the breastplate from Viking Leathercraft but much stronger. I will keep you all posted when I start the project. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir Wulf

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: 2013-11-27, 23:38:47 »
I have searched long and hard on the net. 98% of what I'm finding is simply larper garbage. I'm not interested in pretty. I have found some really good looking pieces (from a history stand point) but the fact is that most of them are made from 10oz or lighter leather. This is just not tough enough. So I will be using two layers of wax-treated 10 oz leather covered in two layers of 4 oz rawhide. This should provide my with good blunt-force protection and cutting protection.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2013-11-27, 23:49:27 »
What think you of Torvladr's work?
Fall down seven, get up eight.