"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: ah, My Armor buying season.  (Read 6704 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
ah, My Armor buying season.
« on: 2013-09-16, 20:56:55 »
Every year since 2010 I have gotten my armor around late September and early October.
September is a good time to use some of the money I already have and my birthday is october 1st, so I get a bunch of items from parents(it's good to still be in highschool:)
Im getting these items all off medievalcollectibles.com if anyone wants to check it out.
It's a pretty good price all add up a little over 200.
I am also getting a new surcoat from museumreplicas.com but it is on back order right now.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: ah, My Armor buying season.
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-16, 20:59:18 »
here is the surcoat.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-17, 03:04:43 »
What are your thoughts of making it?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-17, 14:34:48 »
I just put the same surcoat up on ebaY - I've got enough Crusader and Templar gear, that was just overkill.  The stuff from MC is ok, after a while though, you may find that you'll be needing to replace some of it as the pieces themselves are pretty durable, but things like straps, buckles and lacings are not.  I had those same 'Crusader legs w/hard knees' and the lace on the back of one of them snapped as I tried to loosen it to get it on.  Little stuff, but it can get on your nerves.

With that said, on a limited budget, you can't go wrong here- although some of the more historically-accurate forumites would tell you to just save your money to get something really accurate/cool/whatever and they'd have a point, but where's the fun in that?   Half the fun is in acquisitions and trade- if you don't like it, someone else probably will so you move it along and acquire something new.  Have fun, above all.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-17, 18:59:22 »
making it, I will make my own surcoat eventually.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-17, 22:26:28 »
honestly, i would pass on all of that. what are your price ranges you are looking at for each item? we can find you some killer stuff

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-09-18, 16:20:36 »
At the $200 for all 4 price range, that's hard to beat. A few ideas:

VikingLeathercrafts.com for the shoes. Historically accurate, you can get modern soles, and worn by a good bit of historically minded people. And they're affordable.

I have that surcoat. They are hand made by Windlass, and aren't too bad. It's the Robert de Sable tunic from Assassin's creed.

The upper legs will steel knees, replace the lace as Sir William said, and I suggest taking off the steel knee part. Same if you had got the set with leather. I haven't seen any historically with that kind of setup, I think it's done with combat in mind. I've been conflicted on buying and chopping a pair of those to my size, or making them, but buying it pre-quilted would be nice.

The coif with ventail is good to start with. You'll probably want to replace the butted eventually, but at high school budget, I would say it's plenty fine to start with since the riveted will be 4x higher.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #7 on: 2013-09-18, 20:21:02 »
VikingLeathercrafts.com for the shoes. Historically accurate, you can get modern soles, and worn by a good bit of historically minded people. And they're affordable.

Second what James said, Frank is a stand up guy and his prices are good.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2013-09-18, 21:37:56 »

Yep, and the product is good too. I think I'm going to recommend him to everyone now, when people are looking for period footwear.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-09-19, 15:08:31 »

Yep, and the product is good too. I think I'm going to recommend him to everyone now, when people are looking for period footwear.

I already do...he's a great guy to deal with and his products are solid.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-09-19, 16:24:34 »
Not that it's needed but I'll go ahead and pile on, you can't go wrong with Viking Leathercrafts.  His footwear is about is comfortable, you can get modern soles if you want them, and Frank is a great guy.  Buy from them with confidence!

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2013-09-20, 22:58:40 »
ok,
Also a bunch of you guys have that surcoat, Mine was on backorder but it was cancelled, so if anyone is selling a large on amazon id be happy to buy. But other than making my own, what kinds of templar surcoats and on what site would you buy them from.
P.s. the greaves/ shingaurds i have are a bit small, they are size twelve should I send them back and get the next size up? they dont reach my knees.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2013-10-05, 00:12:30 »
Great news, I have gotten my medieval stuff, Ive not gotten the boots in the picture, i got a different pair that look pretty nice. Ive gotten the coif and the gambeson which i have tried on with the mail, and i look like a wilderbeast in size. I had to cancel on the tunic and the leggings since i got an airsoft gun instead, and as for the tunic I have I plan to make a new cross for it which will be replacing the one on there. If any one going to the m.d. faire on sunday has the tunic I posted a picture of I will buy it for 50 at the most.
Hope to see you guys at the faire on sunday.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2013-10-05, 00:13:37 »
Sadly due to the size and me having a bad belt, I will be wearing a buckle black belt so everything stays in place at the renfaire sunday.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-10-05, 05:03:21 »
I won't be at MDRF this Sunday (possibly the one after, definitely the 20th). Have fun and take pics!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent