"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Albion Reeve  (Read 8632 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Albion Reeve
« on: 2013-09-11, 19:43:27 »

Well on My Armoury, I found someone selling a practically brand new Albion Reeve, with a red handle. Needless to say I had to pick it up, this is the design I wanted for quite a while. Honestly it handles a lot better than my Tinker Norman, no pommel digging into wrist problem here only issue I really have with it is the handle is a bit rough and irritates my skin on my hand as Albion's grips seem to be more rough than the usual stuff I am used to. It's not nearly as sharp as I imagined it, I can still run it across my skin and it wont cut me and it cant cut paper. Maybe if I forced it a bit it could. I like the handling though, it feels so light and after handling and practicing with that mace of mine this feels like nothing in my hand practically. Need a scabbard for it though, looking for someone to help me with that because I cant shell out 800 bucks plus wait a year for a new one and quite frankly I ain't looking for anything ornate, just want something simple perhaps with just an ornate buckle, already have the one I want in mind. This makes hanwei swords seem really crappy honestly, well at least the tinker norman mostly due to the fact the pommel is rather nice on the Reeve and the Tinker one has issues with its shape.

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
Re: Albion Reeve
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-11, 20:58:24 »
Nice find.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-11, 21:01:49 »
I'd love to see the cutting power of that massive type X blade. 
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-11, 21:16:51 »
Probably could given I have proper targets, it's not paper cutting sharp however. It handles really nicely though, and is a perfect size for me, not too long not too short. To me the 40 inch swords seem a bit... too long. Though this ones clearly built for fighting on foot. It actually thrusts quite well through plastic bottles, probably better than the Ritter would, which was my other one I wanted but I passed up buying that one earlier this year and kinda regret that, but at least I got this one.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-11, 21:18:53 »
You can never really appreciate the difference in feel and handling with things like that until you hold one and compare it to the other tiers of swords. Congrats on the Reeve!

Crusader Monk for the scabbard. He'd probably use your buckle, too. And he's neither a year wait nor near $800.

Paper slicing isn't so good. That means a thin edge. Thin edges are easily damaged on impacts. Impacts like cutting things. It should have a pretty decent edge. Try to cut with it before sharpening it; it may not even need it. Also, fight the temptation to run your finger up and down the blade. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-11, 23:01:12 »
killer

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #6 on: 2013-09-11, 23:57:40 »
SWEEEETTTTTT!!!!
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2013-09-12, 01:02:02 »
Don't worry about how sharp it is. Razor sharp edges get flattened easily, as Sir James was saying. It just needs to be mildly sharp to sail right through a person, a pumpkin, or a tatami mat, with proper technique. Paper-slicing edges will make cuts through tatami easier, but things like pumpkins and water bottles respond more to the mass of the blade, rather than how sharp it is.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-12, 01:02:57 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2013-09-12, 04:20:52 »
Yeah I am considering getting crusader monk to do a scabbard for it but thing is I do want a historical looking suspension like this one:

To do that it needs to be soaked and stretched so I don't know if I could do it in multiple sittings... Might just do a wood core or maybe commission someone who does historical suspensions? I kinda want it to look a bit aged but match the swords handle color with red.
I rather like this blade, it's quite imposing and thick bladed yet surprisingly light. I actually think this is one of Albion's thicker bladed swords, it's basically a viking type sword with a 12th century hilt. I do plan to eventually cut with it, once I get a thing to stand targets on and whatnot. It would probably be a very good cutter once I use it. Just a bit worried it might not be period for the late 13th, maybe in Germany it would be fine, there are examples of brazil nut pommeled swords from the 13th century that are German. For my 14th century kit I plan to get the Sovereign and if Peter Johnnson does get it made that odd pommeled sword I discovered on Facebook. He actually said he might be interested in making it. Heres the link to it if you guys dont have me on Facebook http://www.fricker-historische-waffen.de/en/items-for-sale/edge-weapons/yag/c82/ItemList/submitFilter/blankwaffen/ritterliches-schwert-deutsch-um-1200-objekt-nr-1008

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-09-12, 14:38:05 »
Just let Jon know what you need- if he can accomodate you, he will.  I've dealt with him on a number of occasions and truthfully, a lot of custom makers could learn a thing or two from his business model.  Also his cost will be less than half of what the higher end scabbard makers would charge.  He'll not do 100% historically accurate as he'd have to charge considerably more for that but if you want something that looks good, will be well made and a suitable complement to the sword, you can't go wrong with Crusader Monk.  Nice pick up, by the way- and I could be wrong, but I do not think the type X and Xa swords were supposed to be paper cutting sharp being primarily used against mailed or lightly armored targets of the 10th-12th centuries.

FWIW, I'm considering the Sovereign for my 14th C kit as well...it just speaks volumes to me.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-09-12, 15:22:24 »
Yeah I am considering getting crusader monk to do a scabbard for it but thing is I do want a historical looking suspension like this one:

Crusader Monk already does risers, the only real addition from a "regular" scabbard is the slits cut to lace the belt through. He might do the belt too, but if not, send him that pic and see if he'll do the scabbard. The belt is a long, split piece with a few holes. I'm going to make one eventually when I get a scabbard for my Knight. There's a tutorial online for how to tie it.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2013-09-12, 15:56:49 »
Sir James, you have a Knight?  When'd you get that?  I saw no pictures.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-09-12, 17:39:15 »
Sir Ulrich,

If you go with Crusader Monk, but still want a historical scabbard, I would just have him do a leather covered wood core scabbard with a chape.  I'm not a big fan of his suspensions, and it might be a cool project for you to do yourself.  Crusader Monk gets away with the prices and speed because of the materials and methods he uses.  My A&A Black Prince is in a Crusader Monk scabbard, and it's a little on the bulky side, the chape doesn't have much finesse but it's very functional, but I don't really like the suspension, and could never really wear it for Living History. 

He does build very sound, solidly constructed scabbards though, and you absolutely can't beat his speed and price.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2013-09-12, 22:04:41 »
I had someone contact me from the DoK group who can make a scabbard, just gotta discuss it with them more about it. He said he could get it to me by DoK I think so maybe I will be able to use this sword by then. He did ask for an outline tracing of how my sword is shaped as well, not sure if that works but it would be cheaper than shipping the entire sword away. Just dunno how much he's charging, I sorta may need to wait a while perhaps to see if theres other options. I was gonna have Ron Johnson do my other scabbard for the other Albion I am getting as well, which I plan to use as well but my first priority is my Reeve now because I absolutely am obsessed with this new sword I got.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-09-12, 22:45:43 »
Sir James, you have a Knight?  When'd you get that?  I saw no pictures.  ;)

Oh, last year. I posted it on FB. You didn't see it?