"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."
                -- Theodore H. White

Author Topic: An into to genealogy  (Read 4312 times)

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
An into to genealogy
« on: 2013-09-10, 16:41:39 »
An introduction to genealogy

If any of you are interested in pursuing you family history I am more than willing to help get you started.
As you are aware genealogy is simply another name for family history. We all have one. Most  of  us will find ordinary everyday people for the most part but if you go far enough back in time you will mostly likely related to most of the famous people of the middle ages. The reason for this is three fold.

One the number of ancestors one is related to doubles with each generation.
2 parents 4 Gp 8ggp 16gggp 32ggggp 64gggggp 128 ggggggp and on and on 
If we go back to my 25th GGF, Saher IV de Quincy for example,  I would, in theory, be descendant of

67,108,864 people…Yes that is 67 million.

While this number is accurate when we multiply each generation by 2 it does not take in the fact that people related to each other marry. What I mean by that is cousins marring cousins as well as other relations marring. Given enough time they will likely not even know they are related. Genealogist call this pedigree collapse.  Most of us know maybe our second cousins. But would be hard-pressed to name any cousin further down the line. I read somewhere that we are all each other’s 50th cousin at the most.

If you are just getting started on your family history it will be some time before you run into any of you medieval ancestors although the internet makes that a lot easier that it would have been 20-30 years ago.

It is estimated that a generation is about 20-25 years. If I go backward on my Gallagher line for 250 years or so that bring me to my 4th GGF Hugh Gallaher born in 1765. This would be 7 generations back. Hugh was my first Gallaher to come to British North America. So far we do not know where in Ireland he was from but the Gallaher stronghold is and has always been County Donegal in the northwest part of Ireland. DNA may help locate cousins that still live there or elsewhere for that matter. In addition to Hugh other ancestors, mostly of English or Scottish ancestry came, in the 1650’s on.   
While I have found many interesting people in my family tree, including knights, I am still looking for the pirate and his buried treasure.  ARRRRRRRRR

If you think that the task of creating a family history is donating It can be but it is also possible to go back
A long long way. The is a national society of Saints and Sinners and one of their saints for which people can trace their lineage is 

“… St. Gregory “the Illuminator,” Bishop of Leontius, is an interesting personage if for no other reason than the period in which he lived: c257-c331. If you descend from Eleanor of Castile, first wife of King Edward I of England, for instance, you are able to take your ancestry backward to a saint who lived nearly two millennia ago!”

While I have not traced my line back to St. Gregory I can as Eleanor of Castile is my 22nd Great-grand mother.

Getting started

If you go online you can download just about any genealogical form you will ever need.

http://www.familytreemagazine.com/info/basicforms

The first thing you should do is get copies of a pedigree chart and a family group chart. These are the two most basic forms and will be used for each generation and or family group.

The pedigree form has a place where you list yourself as number 1, your father as number 2 and you mother as number 3. From this point on all males in your tree will be EVEN numbered and females ODD numbered. The family group sheet is just that. It records the information on the father and mother of a group and their children in order of birth.

Once you have filled out the forms with the information you know you will need to talk to as many relatives as possible. I would start with your parents, GP, uncles/aunts, older cousins. There are genealogy forms that you can use for these interviews. You can also us a tape recorder or whatever has replaced it. You can also bring some pedigree and family group sheets along to the next family together or mail them to as many relative as you think will fill them out.
One thing you should keep in the back of your mind. There may be a deep dark family secret that older members of the family may not want discussed.

In fact I have heard of people interested in their family history tell me they were discouraged to pursue it for unspecified reasons.

When filling out forms you will need to decide how you want to write dates. This is also true if you use a computer program. If you write 11 10 19xx is that November 10th or could it be October 11th.

That is why I write my dates as 10 October 19xx.
(BTW FTM the most popular computer program is coming out with a new version and is on sale at Ancestry.com.   This program can link tree on Ancestry and the FTM tree on your computer so changes you make will appear in both.)

No I don’t get a commission.

If anyone needs help getting started just ask.

http://www.genealogy.com/getting_started.html

This is a link to the top 101 site on the internet.

http://www.familytreemagazine.com/article/101-best-websites-2010-best-big-genealogy-sites
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: An into to genealogy
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-10, 22:58:09 »
IIRc the direct family line goes back to Ireland, Hungary, and Russia.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-11, 04:18:30 »
Italy, Germany, Ireland, and Scotland/France for me. The Italian part is from the same neighborhood as Al Capone. 
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-11, 09:43:07 »
I am German and Hungarian mostly. Got minor Norman which were nobility and my mom got a DNA test only to find out we were mostly German and less British than we previously thought. According to my DNA test I am mostly German and my German side has Scandinavian origins due to their last name. My dads mother claimed to be pure English but due to my DNA test only coming back 11% British isles and my mom's coming back at 18% due to my one Scottish ancestor I believe my father's mother was prolly incorrectly assuming due to her last name. My Hungarian side turned out to be rather mixed with Slavic and South Slav blood, due to my father's father's appearance it doesn't surprise me one bit as he looked like he came from the balkans. Myself on the other hand you'd probably think I was Danish or something due to my red hair. I dont think I really look Irish or British at all, also get rather offended when ignorant people assume I'm irish due to my red hair, which I got from the German side believe it or not. That leads me to believe I actually descend from the northern crusaders, especially do to their Swedish originated last name and their location which was Mecklenburg/West Pomerania.

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-11, 19:18:42 »
Sir Ulrich said in part

"I dont think I really look Irish or British at all, also get rather offended when ignorant people assume I'm irish due to my red hair"...

How can anybody be offended for being mistaken for being Irish?

It is the greatest complement in the world!

There are only two types of people in the world. Those who are Irish and those who wish they were.  :)
« Last Edit: 2013-09-11, 21:19:52 by TimothyPaulGallagher »

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
Re: An into to genealogy Websites
« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-11, 19:22:25 »
Internet websites of genealogical and or medieval interest Hereditary Societies

The Baronial Order of Magna Charta (BOMC) and the Military Order of the Crusades
http://www.magnacharta.com

National Society of Saints and Sinners.
http://nationalsocietyofsaintsandsinners.org

Colonial Order of the Crown® Established 1890 (Descendants of Charlemagne)
http://www.ColonialOrderoftheCrown.org

The National Guild of St. Margaret of Scotland
http://www.guildofstmargaret.com/

Order of the Crown in the USA (Descendants of Charlemagne)
http://www.charlemagne.org

Plantagenet Society®
http://www.plantagenetsociety.org

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #6 on: 2013-09-13, 03:58:00 »
Thanks for posting this; there’s some pretty good stuff there.

As far as I know, I’m Croatian and Italian on my mother’s side (her father and mother respectively), and German and Italian on my father’s side (again, his father and mother). I might also have some Dutch in me, but I’m not sure if it’s actual Netherlands Dutch, or Pennsylvania Dutch, which would be German.

Our surname makes things a bit confusing, though, as “David” seems like it usually indicates Welsh ancestry. I’m not aware of any Welsh ancestry, but with as little as I actually know about my male line, I suppose it’s entirely possible. It seems kind of strange for a German surname, but I suppose it could also have been changed whenever my ancestors first came to America. That one has me scratching my head. ???
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Timothy

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #7 on: 2013-09-13, 19:39:50 »
Hello,

Would you like to try and find out?  If you do you can email me  at

spqr753@msn.com

Tim