"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: HEMA training longsword compendium  (Read 5883 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
HEMA training longsword compendium
« on: 2013-09-02, 13:10:17 »

Interesting idea, but it's clearly one person's opinions, and he doesn't like the Albion Meyer (which makes his opinions circumspect to me):

http://hemareviews.blogspot.com/2013/08/hema-training-longswords-compendium.html

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: HEMA training longsword compendium
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-08, 14:56:52 »
I'm trying to snag a Regenyei feder off of MyA right now, but the guy selling it is asking more than a new one costs and I'm trying to talk him down.

I think his criticism of the Meyer is not that he doesn't like the sword itself, he just doesn't think it's worth the price when compared to a lot of other feders that perform similarly and cost almost half as much.  A bare-bones Regenyei Feder costs about $250 + shipping, an Albion Meyer is $490.  That's quite a hard pill to swallow if you're not getting twice the sword for twice the price.  I think that's a fair criticism.  The only other complaint I've seen about the Meyer is a lot of the European guys seem to think it's a little on the short side, but I have way too little experience to know if that's justified or not.  You and Sir Brian seem to love your Meyer's and I have a lot of respect for your opinions on the matter so I think the sword itself is perfectly fine, but I do think it's a bit expensive when compared to virtually every other popular feder on the market.

He also had the same criticism of the A&A Fechterspiel, which again is just as expensive as the Meyer, (actually more expensive if you get the nicer finish).
« Last Edit: 2013-09-08, 15:11:14 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-08, 22:47:50 »

Yes, they are definitely expensive. I'd like to take a close-up look at some of the cheaper offerings to see how they stack up. For me, I can justify the cost because I trust A&A and Albion's manufacturing process, and know that I'm getting a good sword. The Meyer's blade length is 36", which puts it right at being a completely average longsword. The Fechterspiel has nearly 2" on it, but also is pretty typical for a longsword, so I think they're all in the range of "personal preference"  :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-25, 20:48:29 »
I'm trying to snag a Regenyei feder off of MyA right now, but the guy selling it is asking more than a new one costs and I'm trying to talk him down.

I think his criticism of the Meyer is not that he doesn't like the sword itself, he just doesn't think it's worth the price when compared to a lot of other feders that perform similarly and cost almost half as much.  A bare-bones Regenyei Feder costs about $250 + shipping, an Albion Meyer is $490.  That's quite a hard pill to swallow if you're not getting twice the sword for twice the price.  I think that's a fair criticism.  The only other complaint I've seen about the Meyer is a lot of the European guys seem to think it's a little on the short side, but I have way too little experience to know if that's justified or not.  You and Sir Brian seem to love your Meyer's and I have a lot of respect for your opinions on the matter so I think the sword itself is perfectly fine, but I do think it's a bit expensive when compared to virtually every other popular feder on the market.

He also had the same criticism of the A&A Fechterspiel, which again is just as expensive as the Meyer, (actually more expensive if you get the nicer finish).

Where do you get a Regenyei Feder for 250 plus shipping? The best I can find is 350 shipped...are we talking about the thick version?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-25, 20:52:47 »
http://www.regenyei.sg18.net/en_feders_order.html

Fees

The cost for one piece of standard feder is 177,8 Euro + extra accessories.

So depending on how you want to dress it up, they start at about $244 USD and go up from there.
My Pinterest

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #5 on: 2013-10-25, 21:04:14 »
Yeah but what is shipping to the US like...it was 30 EURO for one blade in EUROPE :/

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-10-25, 22:26:00 »
Yeah but what is shipping to the US like...it was 30 EURO for one blade in EUROPE :/

Dunno, never needed to follow up with it.  I'm sure you'll save on shipping if you plan to purchase multiple feders.  I ended up buying one used from here in the US.
My Pinterest