Main > The Round Table

Be a Knight in your heart.

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sir William:
Your motivations are made known by your actions- for me, what powers it all is my belief in my self.  As a knight I am bound by oath to behave in a certain way, to set an example that others can look at and recognize me as such.  I am not always successful; it is a work in progress for me.  However, for those that do not- it is not always indicative of a failure or perceived lack on my part, just that they may not know or understand what knighthood and chivalry mean; it is our duty to educate those who wish to, and learn to live with those who do not.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-08-22, 13:02:24 ---
That also brings up another interesting point of discussion. Does your honor require you to tell the truth, when talking to evil? As a similar example, in Muslim culture, they consider it just fine to deceive infidels. But I'm not talking about differing faith, but rather "bad guys", or real evil. If you made a pact with the devil, would you be honor-bound not to lie to him, and to uphold your end of the bargain? No right or wrong here, I'm just curious how people think on this.

--- End quote ---

Or as another example, police officers are allowed to lie to people if it leads them to an arrest or furthers an investigation.

Let's say they are pursuing a murder suspect, and talk to a person of questionable morality; that person says "You a cop?" and the cop says "Nope". That's a lie - but does it make the cop a bad person if that eventually brings the murderer to justice, when telling the truth would not have?

Ian:
If I had to lie to save a friend or family member, consider it done.  I wouldn't think twice or hesitate for a milisecond if a lie meant saving my daughter or wife's life.  If that makes me dishonorable, then a knave I choose to be!  :)

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-08-22, 13:02:24 ---
That also brings up another interesting point of discussion. Does your honor require you to tell the truth, when talking to evil?

--- End quote ---
I suppose not. It was a blunt thing for me to say

Thorsteinn:
More exuberant than anything really.

Just remember the old axiom "The right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version