Main > The Round Table

Be a Knight in your heart.

<< < (5/5)

scott2978:
What does "Be a knight in your heart" mean to me?

It means that for me personally, which doesn't necesarrily apply to anyone else, if I myself being the harshest judge, believe in my heart that I am behaving in a knightly fashion (given our modern interpretation of chivalry)  then I should be content in my knowledge that I am a knight in the sense that makes the most difference to me regardless of what anyone else may think.

And to the question of honesty and truth I say this. In the same way that we have divorced our modern notion of chivalry from the medieval due to changing times and a greater understanding of human nature, we should not be overly attached to other medieval notions of behavior either. It's all well and good for a knight, a person of very high social standing, with ways and means of making the world around him bend to his will, to say he ought to be honest at all times. But in modern life being 100% brutally honest all the time is not only seriously impolite, it is also seen as behavior of socially and mentally deficient individual. And I'm sure many everyday examples come to mind. Suffice to say that 100% honesty 100% of the time is not good for anyone. Not yourself and not others either.

Scott

Jon Blair:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-08-22, 13:02:24 ---
That also brings up another interesting point of discussion. Does your honor require you to tell the truth, when talking to evil? As a similar example, in Muslim culture, they consider it just fine to deceive infidels. But I'm not talking about differing faith, but rather "bad guys", or real evil. If you made a pact with the devil, would you be honor-bound not to lie to him, and to uphold your end of the bargain? No right or wrong here, I'm just curious how people think on this.

--- End quote ---
A think a true knight would not put himself into a position where he would make a deal with the devil. While we could say that sometimes such a position is unavoidable, if we view the path we took to get there, we find it is a path of our own choosing.
For me, being a knight is to be selfless, not self-centered. To run toward the danger, while others flee. To maintain our integrity and serve others justly and fairly, with no demand for similar treatment if the roles were reversed. To look beyond the surface of a thing, and accept that all that glitters is not gold, and the ugly can disguise the rare and beautiful. To keep our word and celebrate truth and honor, regardless of the source.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---A think a true knight would not put himself into a position where he would make a deal with the devil. While we could say that sometimes such a position is unavoidable, if we view the path we took to get there, we find it is a path of our own choosing.
For me, being a knight is to be selfless, not self-centered. To run toward the danger, while others flee. To maintain our integrity and serve others justly and fairly, with no demand for similar treatment if the roles were reversed. To look beyond the surface of a thing, and accept that all that glitters is not gold, and the ugly can disguise the rare and beautiful. To keep our word and celebrate truth and honor, regardless of the source.
--- End quote ---

Thoughts exact Jon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version