"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Mass Effect trilogy  (Read 11202 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Mass Effect trilogy
« on: 2013-07-08, 18:22:18 »

I finally got around to playing the Mass Effect games, and since I waited this long, I had the opportunity to play them all back to back and enjoy the trilogy as one long experience.

I have to say, it's extremely impressive as a game series, when taken as a trilogy like that. It's actually a pretty good sci-fi story, with characters that evolve over time, and by the end of it you find yourself really caring about the characters and the world it all takes place in.

But why am I mentioning a sci-fi game here on the chivalry forum? There's actually a pretty good tie-in with the concept of the game.

The story starts out with the main character (Commander Shepard) being put forth as a candidate to become the first human "Spectre" in the galactic community. Humans have only discovered long-distance, faster-than-light travel within the last few decades, and thus are relatively new to the community. The different species governments cooperate through a council.

What is a "spectre" exactly? It's short for "Special Tactics and Reconnaissance", and they're very much like Knights Errant. They are chosen from the elite amongst military and law enforcement, operate autonomously, are mostly above the law, and answer only to the council directly.

The story begins with investigating another Spectre who may have gone rogue.

Over the course of the series, you end up attempting to save the galaxy from an ancient threat, one that causes cyclical extinctions of advanced civilizations. Throughout all of it, you're faced with many moral choices and dilemmas, which carry forward with many possible outcomes (potentially in the next game, since you can import your progress to the next game in series each time). Depending on your actions, your squad and friends may live, or they may die. Those who live can help you out with later challenges.

So it feels like you're playing the futuristic, space-traveling equivalent of a knight errant, but one whose heroism saves trillions of lives, while forming deep connections of camaraderie along the way.

If you're a sci-fi geek at all, the story has a lot to offer, and the concept of periodic growth and destruction makes for an interesting back-story and setting. And yet, despite the scale of these ideas, it remains a personal story focused on the characters involved.

Between the moral choices and the Spectre status, it felt like a futuristic story of a knight, just in a different setting. :)

Anyway, I highly recommend it. I had a blast with these games.

I'm actually tempted to make a Commander Shepard cosplay armor now too. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Mass Effect trilogy
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-08, 20:08:23 »
nooooooooooooo wait is it cool looking? lol how much does it cost? nooooooo i cant lol

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-08, 20:52:18 »
Nooooo!!! Yeeessssss!!! Noooo!!! Yesssssss!!! NOOOooooooo!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-08, 21:06:34 »
Sheppard is awesome. This is true. :)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-09, 15:30:43 »
Never played the games but have followed the storyline (as much as one can w/out actual gameplay) - definitely sounded like something I'd be interested in if only I had the time.

I'm currently back in the Holy Land hunting Templars...forgot how much fun it was.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-10, 14:51:36 »

Yeah, it does take some time. I think with the entire Mass Effect Trilogy, you have to expect the three games to add up to over 100 hours of game time.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-10, 17:33:31 »
Wait...that's it?  I could do that...I've put in over 500 on Skyrim alone (don't tell my wife that tho lol).  They've got it for consoles too, right?  I'm a sucker for a good story...I'm finding nowadays that I appreciate a good story in lieu of over-the-top action (most times).

In fact, I just finished replaying The Walking Dead (TellTale games' take based on the original comic series, not the crappy FPS based on the tv show) - it was more like playing in a movie than any other type of genre- there's plenty of ohno and action moments; the control input for these moments is frustratingly vague (can't tell you how many times I got eaten because the reticle swings ever so slowly when you need it to move fast the most)- but it certainly ratcheted up the fear factor.  Also, your choices have actual effect on the story and how your fellow survivors react to you.  Made the story more interesting and the dialog is well written and acted.  They've got a new episode available as DLC (the first 5 might run you a total of 15 hours all told).
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-11, 13:25:33 »

Yep, I'd budget maybe 130 hours for the entire trilogy with all of the DLC. You really need to start at the beginning. And yep, they have it on consoles.

The first game starts out a little slow. It picks up after a few hours (once you get your ship and have the freedom to go where you want). Each game is better than the last in terms of the cinematics, voice acting, character building, etc.

The story keeps building on itself, with all of your choices echoing forward in the story. It's fantastic.

My main tips for gameplay-- Always do as much of the optional content as you can before doing the next "plot" mission, since sometimes that optional content will go away (and it pays to be thorough). When you're near the end of each game, usually the last two or three missions are strung together such that you can't do anything between them, or you can but there will be consequences for taking the time to do them.

Also, in ME2, do all of the "loyalty" missions. It's worth the time for the character development, but also those characters' survival may depend on it at the end of the game, and their survival later in ME3 as well in some cases.

BTW, there's a lot of recognizable voice actors in the trilogy..

Martin Sheen
Seth Green
Freddie Prinze Jr.
Lance Henriksen (Aliens)
Keith David (Cloud Atlas, They Live)
Carrie-Anne Moss (The Matrix)
Adam Baldwin (Firefly, Chuck)
Yvonne Strahovski (Chuck, Dexter)
Michael Dorn (Star Trek TNG/DS9)
Marina Sirtis (Star Trek TNG)
Armin Shimmerman (Star Trek DS9)
Tricia Helfer (BSG)
Michael Hogan (BSG)
Claudia Black (Farscape)

And probably others I've forgotten. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-11, 14:03:22 »
Wow, impressive voice cast...and I'm a Claudia Black fan, loved her as Chloe Frazer in Uncharted.  Anyway, I think that might be my next epic adventure after completing AC until GTA V comes out; and maybe after as I'm thinking I'll need the PS4 or XB1 to give that game the justice it deserves.

I'm a big one for doing optional missions- not only for the sake of extending gameplay but also for fleshing out missions, characters or what have you so I'm all in for that.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-11, 15:40:13 by Sir William »

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-11, 17:59:29 »
may have to check this game out

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-12, 15:11:42 »
Didn't you find a list of all the cut scenes somewhere? Could you post that here?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2013-07-13, 00:00:42 »
Didn't you find a list of all the cut scenes somewhere? Could you post that here?

Yup.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL61B5E0DC94526D3E

This let's you watch the entire game trilogy as if it were a 55-episode TV show. Granted, it's with only one selection of choices, and some of the DLC (not all). Plus it skips all the smaller side missions, most of the action, and so on.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-13, 00:01:26 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-07-16, 15:46:02 »
Awwww...if I do that, I'm certain I won't play it.  lol

Did just complete AC last night though...gotta tell ya, completing games isn't something I'll do much of, I can tell you that.  And nowadays, most of the achievements also include online multiplayer which I think sorta sucks.  Not everyone's into that.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #13 on: 2013-07-16, 15:54:37 »
anyone know who has the cheapest copy out there for sale?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-07-16, 16:13:44 »
For the entire trilogy?  Probably ebaY...you could try Amazon, too.   Or just walk into a neighborhood EB Games/Gamestop - if you can find a used copy it'll probably be cheaper than most places online.  XBLA's a ripoff, they're still charging like-new prices for older games.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-16, 16:14:05 by Sir William »