"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: New maille type on the market  (Read 12690 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
New maille type on the market
« on: 2013-07-05, 17:59:21 »
So I was browsing Facebook, and saw this indian maille making company advertising their new wedge riveted round ring maille in a group I am part of.

They even got the overlap correct and it's not big and overly flat like the stuff I am used to seeing. Might be worth looking into actually. It reminds me of my Erik Schmid stuff actually, the rings are a bit bigger though.
Oddly the same guy posted on my DA as well which I just noticed. I am actually considering getting some but not sure how I could, probably need more info on this so far.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: New maille type on the market
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-05, 19:16:15 »
how is that a wedge? looks like a rivet.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-05, 19:35:38 »
Whats the pricing like?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-06, 00:56:11 »
I was thinking it was domed myself, but, we'd have to see under it.  On numerous discussions and archaeological evidence, the wedge look like rivets where they've been peened on.  Part of the mushrooming effect.  As I told Sir Ulrich on the book of faces, his kits look promising.  I just hope his "super hero V" in his hauberk was because of a custom order, not that is his way of tailoring it. 
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-06, 01:21:21 »
Agreed, need to see the bottom. Some look dome, some look like folded wedge crimped with a round-head recess in the pliers. Interested in more info though.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-06, 06:24:45 »
Well I contacted him on Facebook, had an interesting convo. He said this is a new type of maille they're working on to be more "accurate" and similar in quality to Erik Schmids stuff. I actually think it's made with a round wedge riveting tool, I've wedge riveted some links of my own and it ended up with a round head where the rivet protrudes, theres different types of riveting tools, the ant pincer type tool leads to a more ovoid shaped protruding rivet head. Needless to say they said the stuff isnt ready yet but they're working on a sample which they'll send some more pics of to me when they can.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-06, 10:06:49 »
He got back with me rather fast here are some more pics that are closer up

Quite frankly I am liking the look of this maille, reminds me of the Erik Schmid examples I saw on myarmoury.com Still need to get some pics of the back but I'll ask him for that.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-06, 13:17:31 »
could be very promising.  I just hope they elect to make the round ring version out of smaller rings.  They're pretty huge in the sample.  Either that or a slightly thicker gauge. 
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-06, 13:21:45 »
The round ring ones are 16 gauge and 8MM as he told me. He said he could make it in 7MM like my coif which would all match. I am quite tempted to get some but their orders say 10 minimum order, so I guess we're going to have to find a vendor to sell this stuff in the USA or stock it at the very least.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-06, 13:29:24 »
The middle picture might by 8mm, but the top picture looks like the rings are bigger than the middle picture.  Maybe my eyes are just playing tricks.  Where is this guy  located?  I bet KoA or Icefalcon would be interested in stocking his stuff in the US if he's overseas.  KoA always has this posted :

http://kultofathena.com/craftsman.html
My Pinterest

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-06, 15:13:00 »
He's located in India and heres the site to his maille www.romanhandicraft.com I dont think he has it listed yet because it's new, but i'm pretty sure he'll have more info on it later. Would be nice to see this sold on KOA I think I could send that site link to him see if he can, would be a good way to distribute it.

I misread it the top one IS 9MM 16 gauge the middle one is 16 gauge 8MM and the bottom one is again 9mm 16 gauge.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-06, 15:28:57 by Sir Ulrich »

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #11 on: 2013-07-06, 18:51:22 »
He's not NEW Sir Ulrich. I ordered my blackened maille from him for my new kit. He was under another company name then but the product is the same. I'll post pics.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #12 on: 2013-07-07, 00:08:55 »
The round ring looks thick in width and small in the inner diameter, and there are a couple of things that can do that.  I'm thinking that round ring one may also be the zoom magnifying it, making it appear a thicker gauge.  Another option is it all depends on how he hits it with his hammer on the anvil.  If they are 16g 8mm, they're the same as mine and look it too with some of mine that I squish bit time.  Unfortunately I can't seem to log into my flickr, but as soon as I can, I'll post up some of my pics, including not pretty ones I didn't share yet, to have for comparison.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2013-07-09, 07:19:15 »
Yeah, I think it was with the inner diameter being 9MM instead of the OUTER one, maybe thats why the rings look big. Personally I prefer smaller ringed maille, I did give the guy Icefalcon's and Kult of Athena's contact info to sell it via them possibly. Also made a post on my armory, but people there were overly critical and half the topic got moderated and his account deleted. Kinda pissed me off honestly, cause we got to ENCOURAGE this guy not discourage him.
Lord Dane I'd like to see those pics of the maille if you got them.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-07-09, 10:13:45 »
Yeah, I'm very sorry that happened on MyArmoury.  I tried to jump in and help people to encourage him, but any time anyone posts about maille on MyArmoury, a certain guy almost always jumps in and immediately starts disparaging everything and saying how it's all junk because it's not exactly like the historical stuff, blah blah blah, and it usually ends like it did there.
My Pinterest