"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Trestle Table and Setting  (Read 5783 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Trestle Table and Setting
« on: 2013-07-05, 16:29:59 »
I've finally acquired some medieval furniture to adorn my encampment display.

Todd Eriksen made me these beautiful trestle table legs.  He sent them to me unfinished so I could match them to the table top when I stained everything.  Shipping a completed table top would be a pain in the butt, so I made the table top myself from 4 1x8's and cut them to size, then just braced them on the bottom using a few cross-members and nailing it to the top.  I used modern nails, but they are not visible unless you decide to go underneath the table.

The folding chairs are from Smoke and Fire, and all the other stuff is just the feast-ware I had at Days of Knights last year.  I would like to sew up some cushions for the chairs, and maybe make a linen table cloth or table runner for the table itself, but it's a good start.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Trestle Table and Setting
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-05, 16:38:40 »
Very nice! Congrats!!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-05, 17:22:00 »
nice, but a man of your wealth wouldn't be eating off of wood would you? what about billyncharlie trenchers?  http://www.billyandcharlie.com/misc.html

sweet. btw ;) totally getting your goat

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-05, 17:30:26 »
nice, but a man of your wealth wouldn't be eating off of wood would you? what about billyncharlie trenchers?  http://www.billyandcharlie.com/misc.html

sweet. btw ;) totally getting your goat

I only break out the nice china in my manor house.  :) 
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-05, 23:28:22 »

Excellent, congrats!
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-06, 01:01:51 »
I was admiring this on the book of faces  8) very nice.

I'm worried I'm too "baby moose" though for things built like that though.  I do carpentry, and I love using hand tools.  I was thinking furniture would be a good idea.  Anyone have links to period stuff, not that SCA fantasy stuff, that I can do that's well, more sturdy?

I don't mean to hijack your post Sir Ian, just thought of it as I was on here.  Absolutely beautiful, the grain came out awesome with that stain.  Just I'd butcher that in one weekend probably lol :D that and my gimpness could never get out of those chairs probably, nowadays, any folding type, just folds in on me on the way up because I need the support.  ;D  It's not the age, it's the miles!  :-[

again, you did a nice job finishing that set.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-06, 01:27:15 »

I'm worried I'm too "baby moose" though for things built like that though.  I do carpentry, and I love using hand tools.  I was thinking furniture would be a good idea.  Anyone have links to period stuff, not that SCA fantasy stuff, that I can do that's well, more sturdy?

I don't mean to hijack your post Sir Ian, just thought of it as I was on here.  Absolutely beautiful, the grain came out awesome with that stain.  Just I'd butcher that in one weekend probably lol :D that and my gimpness could never get out of those chairs probably, nowadays, any folding type, just folds in on me on the way up because I need the support.  ;D  It's not the age, it's the miles!  :-[

http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,2018.msg26950.html#msg26950

http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,2024.0.html

I also posted a bunch of random pics of furniture things on my site: http://james-anderson-iii.com/projects/pages/table/ (poke through the 'projects' section for other things). I have some other pics I need to post, maybe I'll start a new thread with the current setup since I'm making a few changes in the next few months.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-06, 18:24:28 »

Most of my SCA friends that make furniture, make it very period and historically accurate and very sturdy. I weigh a bit and can sit on most stuff very comfortably....so most of the SCA furniture is not fantasy brother but historically accurate....I can put you in touch with some if you want....

Lord Murchadh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-06, 18:47:12 »
Very nice but what is with the armor glove??? Is that a Serving Gauntlet?? LOL Must be the origins of the oven mit.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-07, 00:27:51 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-06, 23:56:22 »
Lord Murchadh,

I meant no disrespect.  Just in my area, lots of fantasy "viking" stuff, or pop tents and fold up chairs.  Didn't mean for it to come out dissing the whole SCA and sincerely, it's a prejudice I need to work on.  The people around me have left a dire sour taste in my mouth certainly.  Again, like I've told others, it shouldn't ruin the whole crop.  I apologize wholeheartedly.

Sir James,

thanks for the links bud!

yis
B. Patricius
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-08, 04:23:53 »
Lord Murchadh,

I meant no disrespect.  Just in my area, lots of fantasy "viking" stuff, or pop tents and fold up chairs.  Didn't mean for it to come out dissing the whole SCA and sincerely, it's a prejudice I need to work on.  The people around me have left a dire sour taste in my mouth certainly.  Again, like I've told others, it shouldn't ruin the whole crop.  I apologize wholeheartedly.

Sir James,

thanks for the links bud!

yis
B. Patricius

None taken....and to be honest some of the stuff going here in the Outlands, I have not been playing all that often just wanted to say that I can put you in touch with some guys that can make you period stuff including myself, well leather work anyway. My encampment is very period or as best as I can make it. Hopefully someday we will cross paths and we can chat more...

Lord Murchadh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #11 on: 2013-07-08, 08:40:11 »
Very nice  :D
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-07-09, 15:37:43 »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€