"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Oil & hickory question.  (Read 3129 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Oil & hickory question.
« on: 2013-06-15, 04:14:49 »
I heard that one can sub olive oil for linseed oil in the mix to use on my PHA hickory wasters. Is that true?

I ask because I have olive oil but not linseed or teak & monies are tight this week but it's summer here in Nevada and things dry out.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

MacDimm

• New Forum Member
  • Fearghas MacDimm of the Knights Hospitaller
    • White Bear Armoury
Re: Oil & hickory question.
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-15, 11:14:28 »
I used olive oil on my short axe handle. Seems to work fine. A year + out from application and the wood seems in pretty good condition and doesn't stink like bad oil or anything.
Sable, on a chief vert three crescents facing sinister sable, a bear rampant argent

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." - Ephesians 6:12

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-15, 18:06:04 »
Olive oil is definitely better than no oil.  Especially in a dry Nevada summer.  Just be sure you rub it in nice and good, give a couple coatings, and then believe it or not, let it sit in the sun.  It helps open the pores in the wood and soak it in a bit better.  then one final coat and polish thereafter ;) 

I do it all the time to my wooden grips on my revolvers and rifle stocks.  And yes, olive oil is definitely cheaper.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-15, 18:56:03 »
You heard it here folks. This guy likes to "rub it in nice & good" and "polish his toys" with olive oil. :o  :P
« Last Edit: 2013-06-15, 18:57:31 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-15, 20:14:01 »
You heard it here folks. This guy likes to "rub it in nice & good" and "polish his toys" with olive oil. :o  :P

+5 Internets!

Patricius: Do you thin it with Mineral Spirits like you would with Boiled Linseed Oil?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #5 on: 2013-06-15, 22:26:23 »

touche' ;)

Thorsteinn,

nah, I don't.  I just don't use too much.  You know what they say about having too much right? It just gets too messy  ;D

I usually apply it to the rag, then onto the... ummm... item  ;D :o
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j