"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Want to start an armor kit  (Read 39394 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Want to start an armor kit
« Reply #45 on: 2013-08-21, 00:12:45 »
Well the first thing I did was get my surcoat. This really is the base point of any kit in my opinion.
I guess it would be good to start with under padding and garments first, but my opinion would be to get gloves and boots as a start. then as you get each peace of armor get the padding that would go with it. When you get a helmet or mail coif get an arming cap. if you get a mail hauberk get a gambeson. although those will be 2 of 3 of the most expensive items in the kit. im sure you have belts at home. until you can get the proper belt just get any medieval looking belt and when you get a sword get a sword frog with it.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #46 on: 2013-08-21, 15:43:19 »
I will tell you, Sir Nathan- and I'm sure others will back me on this, but your foundation garments are key.  If they don't fit well, pretty much nothing else will since all of your measurements will stem from when you're wearing your undergarments.  Seeing as you're still very young and new at the game, you may decide to make your way as many of us did- going with off the rack options for the sake of saving money; this isn't a hobby for the faint of heart or wallet!

Now, if you are so inclined you could consider making your own garments- thereby saving yourself a good deal of money by making your gambeson, tunic and pants, surcoat among other things that are textile in origin.  I'm lazy, I'd rather buy it than make it but others, like Sirs Edward and Nathan seem to also be blessed with seamstress skills as they've made things that are way out of the realm of possibility for the likes of me; if you're like them then it is something to consider.  The beauty of this game is that most of the players want to see others get to where they are so there's all sorts of patterns out there for clothing and other garment products as well as shields, armor and the like.  Its always fun to try your hand at new stuff (unless you dislike that sort of thing then it isn't) and of course, feel free to ask questions...for how else are you to learn?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #47 on: 2013-08-24, 02:11:54 »
I will tell you, Sir Nathan- and I'm sure others will back me on this, but your foundation garments are key.  If they don't fit well, pretty much nothing else will since all of your measurements will stem from when you're wearing your undergarments.  Seeing as you're still very young and new at the game, you may decide to make your way as many of us did- going with off the rack options for the sake of saving money; this isn't a hobby for the faint of heart or wallet!

Now, if you are so inclined you could consider making your own garments- thereby saving yourself a good deal of money by making your gambeson, tunic and pants, surcoat among other things that are textile in origin.  I'm lazy, I'd rather buy it than make it but others, like Sirs Edward and Nathan seem to also be blessed with seamstress skills as they've made things that are way out of the realm of possibility for the likes of me; if you're like them then it is something to consider.  The beauty of this game is that most of the players want to see others get to where they are so there's all sorts of patterns out there for clothing and other garment products as well as shields, armor and the like.  Its always fun to try your hand at new stuff (unless you dislike that sort of thing then it isn't) and of course, feel free to ask questions...for how else are you to learn?

QFT the whole shebang.  That's how I learned.  Heck, I made my templar fighting habit, with room to spare and I'm still worried everything will fit underneath it.  Surcoats come last, after all the kit that goes underneath.  As far as I'm concerned, to have an accurate portrayal, one needs to be sweating and be padded up, particularly for the earlier portrayals.  Chain stops cuts, gambesons stop blunt force.  Combined, they worked well for nigh almost a thousand years if not more.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j