"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Want to start an armor kit  (Read 39402 times)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Re: Want to start an armor kit
« Reply #15 on: 2013-06-06, 00:24:31 »
She was the one I was looking for to show her as well.  Awesome work on that kit.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #16 on: 2013-06-06, 06:19:38 »
Well hello there. Now that is sexy. :) Woman in plate armor. What more do you need??
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2013-06-06, 19:24:47 »
Also Sir Mari & Sir Raoukin would be happy to help. Both are KSCA.

Sir Mari won a SCA royal tourney last year.

Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2013-06-07, 02:27:48 »
Well hello there. Now that is sexy. :) Woman in plate armor. What more do you need??

http://pinterest.com/jamesanderson3/armor-women/
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #19 on: 2013-06-07, 06:29:52 »

http://pinterest.com/jamesanderson3/armor-women/

more women in plate armor :D and proud to be his one follower lol
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #20 on: 2013-06-07, 12:37:15 »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2013-06-07, 19:05:55 »

Just an additional thought, coming from the Forum Admin rather than "me" :)

Please be careful everyone, not to cross the line into objectifying/ogling with regards to "female armor". It's a widespread problem in many of the "geekier" areas of interest, and it tends to keep a lot of women from participating.

As an example, here's a recent article regarding costuming at Balticon:

http://io9.com/slut-shaming-and-concern-trolling-in-geek-culture-511721655
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #22 on: 2013-06-08, 00:45:15 »
Good point Sir Edward!  :o

I continually try to remind myself how without having tone or other intonations it's hard to see what someone might mean when they post a reply.

I'm always excited just to see women that fight.  It's a sad truth, but it does seem to be more typecasted or worse, stereotyped and prejudiced into being a "man's world."  I just always admire the women that do come out, strap up, and learn.  Two of the best combatants I've ever known were women, they knew their limits due to their lack of height, not their sex, and used it always to their advantage.  My friend's wife, likes to sit back and take an aggressive defensive approach, letting her opponent make the mistakes and then always exploited them.  She is definitely a good one to fight to learn where my weaknesses are.  The other, she was only about 5 feet tall and 100 lbs in full gear, she fought aggressively when required to fight, and was always the first to react.  Most guys twice her size never knew what hit them.

LadyRiona

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: 2013-06-08, 18:38:31 »
Indeed, good point Sir Edward, and thank you.

While I do want to eventually work up to having a full plate kit, I feel like right now I should just start with something a little different.  I spoke with Sir Edward today at VARF about it.  What I was thinking was a chain maille shirt, then some plate for around my shoulders and down my main arm, then some on my left, and of course some leg protection.  Sort of like Morgause's from Merlin (though I'm honestly sort of thinking closer along the lines of Arthur's).

While I did find I liked a few of the effigies from the mid to late 14th century, I'm still looking through them.

Also, swords are an important part of the ensemble as well, so if anyone has recommendations on longswords (so I don't end up with a crappy one), that'd be great.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-08, 18:40:21 by LadyRiona »
"Courage is doing something you're afraid to do; without fear there is no bravery."

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2013-06-08, 18:53:47 »
LadyRiona,

If you want decent quality steel with some historical accuracy (at a reasonable price), try kultofathena.com. Albion & A&A is top of the line, DarkSwordArmory is a reasonably priced second with good solid construction, & others like Windlass & Valiant Armoury has lower cost facsimile swords that are little better than replicas but solid. Lots of lower priced options there to choose from a vast array of historical periods, cultures, price ranges, steel-makers, etc. Gives you a good start if it helps. I shop there for stuff.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-08, 18:54:40 by Lord Dane »

LadyRiona

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: 2013-06-09, 02:07:54 »
I'll have a look at those, Lord Dane, thank you!
"Courage is doing something you're afraid to do; without fear there is no bravery."

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #26 on: 2013-06-09, 08:11:03 »
I know a lot of the guys in my area who practice with rebated steel weapons appreciate the value in the Hanwei swords for their price, albeit they do take some maintenance down the long road.  They also really like Baltimore Knife and Sword - BKS on kultofathena - for their utmost durability.  BKS are built like tanks, sound amazing, and look great too, but they are heavy.  They are my preferred blade for rebated combat, and they do offer lighter ones now, although I haven't personally been able to work with one of those yet.  Yet.  ;)

As for live steel, I definitely have to agree with Lord Dane, Albion and Arms and Armour are the best, I've handled a couple of each.  I haven't had the privilege yet to work with a Darksword, but for their price, it's realistically going to be my go-to cutting sword.  I also enjoy a bit heavier of a weapon anyway. 

Try to handle as many as you can before making a purchase, unless one just screams at you begging for purchase.  That's how I always work with them, and I always, always try to handle one like the one I'm purchasing before buying, that way I know if I like it or not.  It's amazing what one inch farther down of balance or point of percussion can do, same with a slightly smaller grip or different pommel. 

However, if there is a weapon I enjoy, because of it's style or presence, and it literally haunts me while I try to come up with reasons not to get it, after purchase I always feel good about it.  They may have their inherent issues, I know I have a couple right now that do, but I look at it more like their personality or quirks rather than problems, and still appreciate them.  Usually it is those that become my favorites.   

For example, I also do Cowboy Action Shooting and am a gun collector.  My two favorite guns however, I haven't been able to shoot yet.  They just have their little quirks to work out.  One needs it's arbor realigned, another needs to be properly tuned as it has a massive weight on the hammer pull.  It's okay though, they're still my favorites over my shooters.

It all comes down to what you will enjoy, and what reasons you're looking to purchase the weapon for.  Just stay away from rat-tangs, you can spot those sometimes based on the sound when you thwack the hilt or pommel, and the stainless ones.  Beyond that, it's all a matter of taste.

I just like most of my weapons as it turns out much like my coffee: thick, mean, and strong.  You may prefer more of a cappuccino.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2013-06-09, 16:09:48 »
On the heavy end of steel, Darksword, Del Tin, & BKS are definitely in that class. You may want to try something lighter if you have a smaller stature such as 3lbs or less.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #28 on: 2013-06-09, 16:54:56 »
del tins arent heavy

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2013-06-09, 17:00:00 »
del tins arent heavy

They just don't ship sharp, because of Italy's weird laws.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum