"It wasn't the reward that mattered or the recognition you might harvest. It was your depth of commitment, your quality of service, the product of your devotion -- these were the things that counted in a life. When you gave purely, the honor came in the giving, and that was honor enough."
                -- Scott O'Grady

Author Topic: Why do 'historians' touch documents without their gloves???  (Read 3702 times)

Sir Knight

• New Forum Member
  • Knightliness is second to goodliness
It makes me mad. Oh... it makes me so mad. It makes me so very mad.

Why do I watch documentaries about various things and see people touching 600 year old+ documents without gloves? In the one I recently watched; The Story of Britain, they even use their fingers and rub over the ancient pigments as they explain how wonderful the document is. Then they grab the corners of several pages and play with it as they explain something.

WHY DO THEY DO THAT?  >:(

I remember watching a documentary about stained glass, I think it was anyway. The nice girl in it went to a museum and the man there held the pages without gloves and she asked him why. His excuse was that he knows how to hold them and what amount of pressure to use.

Uh... acidic hands. Moisture transferring to the page from your sweaty fingers holding the old paper.

It's sad when the only thing I can remember about these documentaries is how they touched the manuscripts, not what they said about them all.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-02, 11:47:28 by Sir Knight »

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Re: Why do 'historians' touch documents without their gloves???
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-02, 16:39:38 »
First off, let me say I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Second, I'm currently working on my studies in Anthropology.  Experimental Archaeology is my emphasis.  One of my professors, when I asked him about this over coffee said, "let me put this to you in a way you can understand.  Ever seen someone who is completely new around guns handle a firearm?  Ever seen a police officer?  I think it's the familiarity, and a minority, take that for granted.  It's the ones that truly show the respect the weapon, or in our case artifact, deserves, that deserve our respect as well."
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-02, 22:00:32 »
Are you sure those were originals and not facsimiles? I know that there have been repro's of I.33, Fiore's work, Lichtenauers work, and Talhoffers work made to look original. IIRC Mike Loades own's several of these.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-03, 04:39:51 »
I would say if it's a book that has been read lots of times, and survived 500+ years, it probably won't do much to it. They may also be wiping it down or cleaning it right after filming? Random guesses.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-03, 11:13:40 »
ya there are so many books in the library of congress that are touched its scary lol.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #5 on: 2013-06-04, 09:22:57 »
Wait a minute. .. Are you seriously insinuating that people still read books??? What is your proof?? Was there a movie about it I missed??  :o LOL
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Knight

• New Forum Member
  • Knightliness is second to goodliness
« Reply #6 on: 2013-06-06, 09:53:39 »
No, books are for tools. Grown ups get their knowledge from movies, television and your oh so very friendly newspapers (most of which are owned by one or two people).

The good thing about books though is that, there's a lot of information in them that people never bothered to put on the internet (atleast not somewhere it can be g00gl'd  ;)).

I had a theory that people touch documents without gloves because, due to the significant volume of such things in places like England, they tend to be less careful of individual things. Because there's so much of it, none of it matters anymore. If it were just one or two, then it'd be touched only with robotic hands who are wearing gloves.

That would explain why so many beautiful castles in England are left to rot. Not only does nobody want to spend money to fix them up (and by fix them up I don't mean adding new bricks which are completely different to the original bricks so that 'future' people will know the old from new), but the number of buildings makes them appear unappealing and insignificant.

There are some really stupid conservation laws in England, preventing anybody who does fix an old building from doing it properly too. Like, for example, not restoring the building with the correct materials due to some fantasy that people in the future will know or care what is original and what is 21st century.

In 100 years, it won't matter. I say restore them as they should.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-06, 09:57:08 by Sir Knight »