"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Some new acquisitions  (Read 19027 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Some new acquisitions
« on: 2013-05-23, 13:23:15 »
This isn't everything mind you, just what I could gather together for an impromptu layout- as Sir Wolf has waved the ban hammer menacingly in my direction, so here goes.  ;)

New crest by Jeremy O'neail (sp)

Splint arms and legs by WCA, pauldrons by MT (the leather's dark blue, pauldrons have been blued)

The back of the splint stuff

WTC Coat of plates and brig gorget

Back of the CoP and gorget

New gonfalon by Dirk and Arrow in case you haven't seen it

And my shield by Oakheart Armory, in case you haven't seen that

I won't bother mentioning the other stuff til I can take pics of it. 

Glossary of terms
WTC = Winter Tree Crafts, a VT based armory
WCA = West Coast Armory, a CA based armory
MT = Mercenary's Tailor, an upstate NY based armory (no longer 'open' for business, but you can still catch the odd sale from him; if you see him on AA (AL) posting something for sale and it'll fit you- buy it.  You won't be sorry.)
« Last Edit: 2013-05-23, 13:42:39 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Some new acquisitions
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-23, 13:46:09 »
Nice stuff!!  I particularly like that CoP.  Now put it all on and take pics... or.... wait for it.... BAN!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-23, 14:58:53 »
Nice stuff!!  I particularly like that CoP.  Now put it all on and take pics... or.... wait for it.... BAN!

Seconded. Nice stuff Sir William. :) I love the 'bluing' but it works better for your attire than mine as I tried. Black paint worked better and was less time consuming. WCA offers good pricing for their splinted armor. The Wisby CoP you have is style #1 & looks really good. I bought a kit & did my own. Came out good too. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-23, 15:37:02 »
Thanks, Dane.  I've been slowly (and quietly) acquiring this stuff over the last six months or so.

I need help with it, believe it or not; tried setting it and pulling it on like a t-shirt and nothing doing.  Plus, I can't take pics of myself w/out that full length mirror a la Sir James.  Maybe someone'll snap a few at VARF next weekend, depending on what I go with.  If its real hot then it'll be the maille hauberk, chausses (KoA) and plate bits at shoulders, elbows and knees (all MT).  I'm hoping my VL boots show up too otherwise I won't be able to go with chausses and I'll need to put holes in my cavalier boots to accept the knees.  Legs need work too as I've got to mate them up with my cuisse belt (Pitbull) and see if those lacings w/aglets (Historic enterprises) are going to fit the bill.  I'm hoping to use that cuisse belt for the maille chausses as well as the splint legs; the splint legs won't debut in my kit til the fall, when my surcoat, torse & mantle and helm are done.  I may get rid of the current splint setup, I dunno yet.  I'm not in love w/them.

Have thought of using them with the CoP as a generic man-at-arms as a backup in the event my stuff's not finished.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-23, 15:38:51 by Sir William »
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-23, 19:21:17 »
Awesome! That crest looks insanely cool. Can't wait to see it!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #5 on: 2013-05-23, 20:00:52 »
That's a great looking kit there Sir William!  I've always been a fan of the splint/studded transitional armor.

I really like the blueing.  WCA definitely makes some nice stuff.  My buddies around me put the legs on first, followed by the COP, followed by the arms.  The COP is definitely something that takes time and practice to get on by yourself.  ;D  I was spinning around like a drunken monkey my first try!
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-23, 20:05:53 »
ok ok no ban for you. FOR ONLY ONE MONTH. that stuff is awesome. i can't wait till it's all together. now you REALLY need greaves. no kit looks more unfinished to me then one that does not have greaves.

man so cool! so happy for your armour goodness

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-23, 20:30:29 »
Looking nice, I like the coat of plates especially. I want to see it all together fully armored.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-05-23, 20:47:59 »
Sir James, thanks- that isn't even the helm it goes on as I'm waiting on that to get back to me.  I think its really going to rock but there's things missing- it won't be ready til MDRF but I can wait.  I think it's going to be pretty awesome- and as complete a kit as I've ever put together.

ok ok no ban for you. FOR ONLY ONE MONTH. that stuff is awesome. i can't wait till it's all together. now you REALLY need greaves. no kit looks more unfinished to me then one that does not have greaves.

man so cool! so happy for your armour goodness

Yea, the lack of greaves is glaring- but not so bad when I'm wearing the admittedly anachronistic tall boots.  So should they be plate greaves or splint, and if splint, does it matter whether those splints or internal or external?

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-23, 22:22:38 »
i would get to match if it were me, but i've seen effigies where they were different.

Silvanus

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Domini Canis - The Hound of the Lord
« Reply #10 on: 2013-05-24, 00:31:34 »
Nice components, Sir William. I really like that crest!
'Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram; non veni pacem mittere sed gladium.' - Apocalypsis 22:21

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2013-05-24, 00:38:19 »
Got an armoured up pic?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-05-24, 15:28:36 »
Not yet.  Working on it, though.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #13 on: 2013-05-24, 17:29:52 »
Very cool, Sir William! I can't wait to see it all together!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #14 on: 2013-05-24, 20:32:37 »
I've seen effigies where they're all sorts of mixed and matched, which can be cool in its own right.  But since your arms and legs look dashing as a matched set, I'd match up the greaves as well.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j