"The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs... one step at a time."
                -- Joe Girard

Author Topic: Whats your favorite recipe?  (Read 7205 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Whats your favorite recipe?
« on: 2013-05-18, 04:31:57 »
As a former culinary student and lover of food I'm wondering what's y'alls favorite recipe?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
Re: Whats your favorite recipe?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-18, 16:56:21 »
For over a decade now I have been eating a very primitive diet. I do this for health reasons - getting back to basics and emulating the ancestors - and as such I stay away from all processed food and sweeteners.

I really love smoke-cooked foods such as cedar plank cooked salmon or chicken served with steamed green vegetables.

For those who have never tried planking on the BBQ, I highly recommend it.

http://www.gourmetwarehouse.ca/qs/page/12148/12147/115
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-18, 17:12:20 »
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i dunno i like allfoods

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-18, 20:59:56 »
For snacks, I love to make potato crisps.  :P mmmmmmmmm
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-18, 21:14:54 »
Mine:

Chef Becky’s World Famous Cookies

1 C    Vegetable Shortening
1 C    White Sugar
½ C   Brown Sugar
2        Eggs
1 tsp   Vanilla Extract
1 tsp   Salt
1 tsp   Baking Soda
2 ÂĽ C All Purpose Flour
12 oz Chocolate Chips
 Nuts, or spices if desired

Oven Temp 350`F

Cream Sugars and Shortening. Add eggs and Vanilla, beat till light and fluffy. Add dry ingredients and mix in. Add chocolate chips (and nuts if desired).

The secret is underbaking. Remove from the oven whilst still soft in the middle.

It helps to sift the dry ingredients together, have your mise en place ready, and mix everything with your hand.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-18, 21:20:07 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-05-18, 21:17:35 »
OCD Brownies (Overly Chocolate Delight), or whatever slang I decide to give to it at the moment. It's my own "invention", of sorts.

Basically, regular brownie mix, with Hershey's chocolate syrup and semi-sweet chocolate chips added. Bake as usual.

Then top with chocolate icing, and press more semi-sweet chocolate chips and chocolate sprinkles into the icing.

Whipped cream on top if you feel like a heathen. :) I stick with the pure chocolateness ... I've only made them 2 or 3 times in the last 5 or 6 years, or I'd be fatter than I already am!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-18, 22:33:43 »
Corvus,

I do enjoy me some smoked, and smoked cured meat!  That salmon is mighty tasty that way.  I've also come to realize the meat tastes best when cooked with indigenous woods.  It makes sense, as the meat may already have a hint of that flavor to begin with seeing as most things we eat are vegetarian and possibly ate what we're cooking them in.  The mutton in N. Arizona tastes best with our mesquite and sage, but then again, it already has that aroma as you prep the meat anyways.

My favorite meal right now, which I love because it could, in theory be "period" is my lady's slow roasted pork chop/loin/etc etc etc.  We've also made this with beef, and elk.  All very good.

It's pretty simple recipe:
couple teaspoons of olive oil
dry rub (don't know what else to call it, basically get it all in the pork):
     clove of garlic
     rosemary
     thyme
     black pepper
     sea salt

secret ingredient: Gabbiano Chianti Red Wine -  good stuff, but still fairly cheap.  It was established in 1124 in Italy.  You can't miss it, has a knight on the label.  Very robust and perfect for this.

Put all this in a medium-hot giddle pan, sear the two sides, then put it on low and cook it to temperature.  Usually with red meat like beef or elk, we just sear it and cook for about three minutes total.

This, with some mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, etc etc etc, and it's very good.  Yesterday, I had it with a balsamic vinaigrette/olive oil and spinach salad first.  I'm telling you, we don't bother to eat out anymore!
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Silvanus

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Domini Canis - The Hound of the Lord
« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-19, 22:54:28 »
Bacon, fried in its own fatty deliciousness.
'Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram; non veni pacem mittere sed gladium.' - Apocalypsis 22:21

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-05-20, 20:39:48 »

If I had to pick one favorite food, I believe I'd be in Silvanus' camp right now, with an entire side of bacon turning by the fire.  However, I'm also a huge fan of my Mom's fried chicken- a very simple recipe, you liberally salt and pepper the flour prior to shaking the pieces in a paper bag filled with said seasoned flour...and the secret ingredient is pork fat - just a few tablespoons added to the oil.  Fry as you normally would and voila, you have some truly awesome fried chicken.  Pairs well with mashed roots, gravy and Mom's special collard greens (because no one likes the floaties lol)...that's a last meal right there if there ever had to be.

And just about anything grilled...I do so love to cook my food over an open fire; or my smoker/grill if I can't do an open fire.

Sir James...you could just call that recipe of yours Death by Chocolate and we'd all understand it.  ;)
« Last Edit: 2013-05-20, 20:40:20 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-20, 21:07:39 »

Nice choice. :)

I'm not much of a cook, so my favorite "recipe" is somewhere between heating up a frozen dinner, or ordering a pizza. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-05-21, 03:26:39 »
Sir James...you could just call that recipe of yours Death by Chocolate and we'd all understand it.  ;)

Indeed I would, but when I was in england back in the 90s there's a german cake of similar composition called "Death by Chocolate". It was my inspiration for the brownies; I stole the idea, can't steal the name too. ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #11 on: 2013-05-21, 04:12:30 »
Corvus,

I do enjoy me some smoked, and smoked cured meat!  That salmon is mighty tasty that way.  I've also come to realize the meat tastes best when cooked with indigenous woods.  It makes sense, as the meat may already have a hint of that flavor to begin with seeing as most things we eat are vegetarian and possibly ate what we're cooking them in.  The mutton in N. Arizona tastes best with our mesquite and sage, but then again, it already has that aroma as you prep the meat anyways.

My favorite meal right now, which I love because it could, in theory be "period" is my lady's slow roasted pork chop/loin/etc etc etc.  We've also made this with beef, and elk.  All very good.

It's pretty simple recipe:
couple teaspoons of olive oil
dry rub (don't know what else to call it, basically get it all in the pork):
     clove of garlic
     rosemary
     thyme
     black pepper
     sea salt

secret ingredient: Gabbiano Chianti Red Wine -  good stuff, but still fairly cheap.  It was established in 1124 in Italy.  You can't miss it, has a knight on the label.  Very robust and perfect for this.

Put all this in a medium-hot giddle pan, sear the two sides, then put it on low and cook it to temperature.  Usually with red meat like beef or elk, we just sear it and cook for about three minutes total.

This, with some mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, etc etc etc, and it's very good.  Yesterday, I had it with a balsamic vinaigrette/olive oil and spinach salad first.  I'm telling you, we don't bother to eat out anymore!

Sounds very tasty. Indeed I often find that simpler is better and yes, a nice red wine will go well with most meats as a marinade...and an accompaniment  ;)
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #12 on: 2013-05-21, 19:24:06 »
After seeing Silvanus' reply,

I gotta admit, when out camping, nothings better than a percolator making some coffee and a side of bacon cooking in the fire! 

Beyond that, my lady also makes some mean Chicken and Mushroom goodness.
chicken breasts - cook til almost done in a pan, the southern way with lots of butter and garlic
add
cream of mushroom soup stock - it's better to go with half the recommended amount of water, this becomes the gravy
saute up some mushrooms, onions, and peppers to taste
by the time the veggies are done, the gravy and the chicken's good

we also make some corn, and rice in a rice cooker. 

It's some good stuff

now thinking about it, probably the only way to make it better is adding some bacon to the gravy! :D
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2013-05-22, 14:47:45 »
Bacon fat makes anything taste better...even chocolate.  I forgot where it is located, but there is a restaurant in MD that serves- wait for it...wait for it...BACON LOLLIPOPS as an appetizer!  Bacon lollies...I'm not saying its manna...but you gotta ask yourself, wasn't that inspiration heaven-sent?  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Hrolfr

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: 2013-05-27, 16:43:32 »
Something I guess I am famous for (when someone asks you to bring a specific thing to a wedding reception in lieu of a gift, I guess you are famous for it  ;) )

Smokes salmon-  Fillet salmon.  When filleted, find a vessel to lay the fillets down in.  After finding said vessel, (and keeping track of the amount of water), put enough warm water into the vessel to cover by 2" the fillets.

Next, stir in enough sea salt to allow a raw egg to float enough to pass your hand  between the top of the vessel and the bottom of the egg.

Next add 1 cup of good honey (not the grocery store crap) per gallon of water.  Stir in well.

Marinade salmon overnight.

Smoke over a combination of either maple  or alder (75%) and apple (25%) until done.

The reason I use the wood I use is to accent rather than overpower the taste of the fish.

Have fun with it!  ;)