"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Helms & Mantles  (Read 8047 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Helms & Mantles
« on: 2013-05-16, 21:02:52 »
For those who use greathelms and cloth sun covers. Does it really help keep the heat down & do you think the same idea could be adapted to conical helms?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Helms & Mantles
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-16, 21:06:42 »
Yes, the fabric actually does a pretty good job of keeping the helm from baking in the sun. It's quite practical. As for a conical, well, probably but I'm not sure there's historical precedent. ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-16, 22:16:41 »
How did mantles come about? What was the historic solution to keeping a conical helm cool in the desert sun?

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-16, 23:25:54 »
ya it does work. jsut dont leave your helmet upside down in teh hot sun and then put it on

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-16, 23:30:03 »
ya it does work. jsut dont leave your helmet upside down in teh hot sun and then put it on

Sounds like this was learned from firsthand experience?
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2013-05-16, 23:37:59 »
Sir James burned the top layer of skin off my nose at the photo day lol. ehhehe not really but it was SUPER hot ehhehe

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-17, 12:52:40 »
How did mantles come about? What was the historic solution to keeping a conical helm cool in the desert sun?

A turban, or other cloth wrapped around the helm.  You did say 'in the desert'.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-18, 21:29:56 »

Sounds like this was learned from firsthand experience?

I'm a terrible squire, I think that's why I was knighted early. :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #8 on: 2013-05-18, 22:19:00 »
I'm a terrible squire, I think that's why I was knighted early. :D

put that on my checklist!  ;) ;D - "If I'm bad enough as a squire, they'll be sure to knight me early just to get rid of me!" 

all joking aside, I do feel that sometimes the US Military does that with its enlisted... how some men ever made first class is beyond me...
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-31, 13:29:47 »
I say yes that Great Helm mantles do keep the helm cool and from heads baking to red, leavened bread.  :D

On the other hand in regards to historical accuracy, period artwork is the best place to find mantled great helm. Specifically 14th and 13th Centuries.  They appear only in tournament or tourney artwork.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-05-31, 18:02:37 »
I'm not using a greathelm, nor am I looking at the 13th cen (it's a bit late). I was thinking more 9th cen. I'm just tired of baking my head in the NV & CA sun.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #11 on: 2013-05-31, 20:57:29 »
Thorsteinn,

one of my professors told me "if you think about it, and it seems practical, the chances that they may have come up with something like it back then is almost proven."

I seriously doubt mantles and such were "invented" in the 12/13th centuries.  I just think they blossomed and became in vogue in the 13th and 14th centuries.  Also, during the 9th century, the planet was in a state of a mini-ice age, sorry, my geography/geology sucks but that's the term I know it as.  So the layers make more sense.  Beyond that, even in the blistering cold, a cold helmet is definitely not a good thing.  So again, I think it's safe to suppose they wore some kind of helmet protection, those that actually could afford a helmet in the 9th century  ;)

btw, I also wanted to congratulate you on your kit.  For fighting in the SCA during the pre 11th century, "you sure done good kid, ya sure done good." - quoting the Duke.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j