"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Chivalry and The Count of Monte Cristo  (Read 5538 times)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
Chivalry and The Count of Monte Cristo
« on: 2013-05-06, 18:43:11 »
Critics of Classic Literature have debated and wrote upon the universal theme of revenge in several works of literature.  One of them being Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo, written in 1844.  The popularity of this novel has been the subject of several films, television adaptations and even musicals.  However, the theme of revenge is only a modern take on a classic that portrays the polar opposite of revenge.  That theme would be Justice.

Justice in the light or perspective of exposing the evil in the lives of those who wronged you is the moral message of The Count of Monte Cristo.  Yet one would ask "What has Monte Cristo to do with Chivalry?"  This will be explained and I will add a few truths that will break the myths surrounding this classic.

Myth 1: Edmmond Dantes escapes jail to seek revenge on those who betrayed him.
Answer:  False.

Through the education of the Italian Sage and teacher Abbe Faria, Edmmond gains a new perspective and a education that transforms him into a Gentleman of high intelligence and moral authority.  This helps him to understand the complex notion of true justice as seen in the eyes of Divine Providence.  Faria, after revealing the treasure at the named island instructs Edmmond to "I have only kept this secret so long from you, that I might test your character, and then surprise you." (Ch. 18)  The evidence can be found in Ch.15-19.

Myth 2: Dantes sets up his accusers for them to take the fall
Answer: False
When Dantes escapes from the Chateu d'If, Dantes upon fulfilling his promise to Abbe Faria uses the treasure to establish himself as the Count of Monte Cristo (he buys the island and the title).  Dantes learns through social meetings and conversations his enemies lives and their secret vices.  Instead of framing them, he exposes their past or current crimes in order to expose their true characters.  Imagine this, Mondego (the guy who marries Mercedes) guilty of murder and selling the royal family to slavery, Danglars secretly seeking to increase his own wealth, Villefort having an affair with the wife of Danglars and burying their child alive?  Well that is what comes to light and this is the justice that Dantes uses.  I can only recommend reading the book to read the details of how Dantes accomplishes all of this to understand how Dantes is being Chivalrous in using his wealth and societal position to further Justice.

Myth 3:  Dantes' revenge has a harmful effect on the innocent.
Answer: False
Evidence is found with Maximillian and Valentine (the daughter of Villefort) when their relationship is jeopardized by the whims of Madame de Villefort in a family affair in which I will leave you to read in the book.  Dantes helps them in a very unique manner that helps them to be reunited and helps them be settled on an island.  In regards to Mercedes' son Albert, he is merciful and willing to take a bullet upon the request of Mercedes.

Myth 4: Dantes gets Mercedes back.
Answer: Sadly, false
 Mercedes never reunites with Dantes, she knew Edmmond upon seeing him even after he introduces himself as the Count of Monte Cristo.  She believes that the old Edmmond that she once loved 'died at the Chateau d'If'. However this is not a bittersweet tale.  Haydee, whom Dantes buys her freedom from slavery is allowed freedom upon her payment by Dantes and he treats her like a princess in his house.  Haydee continualy shows unconditional love and affection towards Dantes in spite of his doubts. When Dantes acknowledges the fact that Mercedes could never be his again, he lets her go.  When Monte Cristo realizes that Haydee has shown genuine love than Mercedes has (before his arrest) and that her love would fill that gap in his heart, he accepts Haydee's love for him.  This can be found in the very last chapter of the book.  What can I say than the best is assuredly saved for last.

When I read this book, I saw several things that makes Dantes chivalrous.  First, his exposing his accusers of their past and current crimes is a stroke of justice that benefits the innocent.  His helping the victims (family members of the accusers) by giving them means to start new lives is an exmaple of generosity.  His buying a royal princess from slavery and treating her as a princess (even though by French Law she is his property) is an excellent example of unconditional gallantry.  The unconditional love and affection of the princess is the reward of his gallantry.  What no better phrase can summarize this post than the final chapter in the book.

This is not a myth bashing article in which I seek out to destroy a cultural icon (in which the Count of Monte Cristo has become in the last three centuries), but rather to set out the truth concerning this classic. 

What I came out from reading this book was a sense that Dantes upon his escape from the Chateau d'If became a stronger individual who had everything, the quick, resourceful mental power, the education of a gentleman and wisdom that expands beyond the borders of simple comprehension.  Dantes was able to calculate how to expose the evil  of his adversaries not by their past but by their unheard, present crimes.  Dantes was able to carry himself with the mannerisms and characteristics of an educated gentleman with perfected non-chalance that aided him in keeping his mind from breaking from emotional impulses.  The wisdom that he earned from the tutelage of Abbe Faria helped him understand that is takes more than money or the education to be a gallant hero, it takes a morally upright heart to see through the deeds.  This novel is one that I recommend as a read or as an audio book.  There are many life lessons that can be learned from this novel and the best lesson is to "Wait and Hope".
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Re: Chivalry and The Count of Monte Cristo
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-07, 05:35:44 »
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all-time favorite classics, and one of my favorite stories.  I think the only ones that precede it are Alexandre Dumas' Three Musketeers (only for sentimental reasons, it was my first classic) and Miguel de Cervante's work, Don Quixote.  The only other works that compare as of right now for me are Arturo Perez-Reverte's "Alatriste" series. 

I haven't had the opportunity to read Jan Guillou's "Crusades Trilogy" or Tony McMahon's Quest for the True Cross either.

I must say I really wish I had your insights into Monte Cristo and Dantes back in high school.  I went to a Catholic private high school, and they decided to use the book as an example of revenge and "advanced romanticism" in the same way as they ruined Chaucer's "Cantebury Tales" as smut and gluttony.  I was one of three students in that class, all three of us practiced WMA way before it was known as such, that defended it was a book about corruption, and justice.

Excellent summation of key character and plot themes to The Count of Monte Cristo Mr. Santana.  It really makes me want to get that book out again and start reading it another time.  Of course, I should finish The Three Musketeers first ;) and my copy doesn't include airships  :'(

YIS
B. Patricius
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-07, 19:34:14 »
Patricius, since you like Alatriste, have you seen Viggo as Alatriste in the Spanish epic of the same name?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-08, 00:57:56 »
Sir William,

I have not yet, and I love pretty much anything Viggo Mortenson is in.  In fact, Appaloosa is probably my favorite western, even though according to most it didn't do too well.  I've seen the trailer on Youtube, and it's definitely on my "wishlist."  In fact, my renaissance persona is a Catholic Irishman that went to Spain to learn the art of the sword.  So I'm Irish but dress and fight as the Spaniards do.  Looking at the production stills of "Alatriste" have been an inspiration and definitely help that movie look quite good.

Did you have a chance to see the movie Sir William?  Not to take away from the OT or OP of course.  I also believe there hasn't been a movie yet that's good enough for Dumas' works.  The last "The Three Musketeers" had me so excited when I saw the cast, and that the Duke of Buckingham was in it, and who they cast as Cardinal Richelieu, then I saw the trailer with the airships... um... yeah... never saw the movie. :'(
« Last Edit: 2013-05-08, 01:00:22 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-15, 20:23:11 »
This is off-topic, but I just finished reading the first of the Alatriste novels...I'm going to watch the movie as I'm a Viggo fan, too.  Pretty much everything I've seen him in, from Prophecy to Eastern Promises, he's delivered.  Appaloosa was what I envisioned a western would be if they kept it realistic- probably why it didn't do so well; the casting was excellent. 

The Man in the Iron Mask and The Three Musketeers (Sutherland, Sheen and Platt) are two decent renditions of the idea of the Musketeers; I liked them both.  The last one, 2011, was utter crap, I did not enjoy it at all, despite the illuminating cast they had...
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€