"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: New Arming cap  (Read 8275 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
New Arming cap
« on: 2013-03-17, 07:01:56 »
So I picked up a new arming cap due to the fact the padded coif I had was too thin to use as an arming cap for my topfhelm. Needless to say it is pretty good quality for the price.

My topfhelm does not move around at all with this on, same with my kettle helm. Shouldnt have a problem with the maille touching my neck on my coif as my gambeson covers my neck as well.

I got a question though, should I get my Royal Oak Dargen style Great helm WITH the measurements for this arming cap or should I get it with my thinner linen padded coif. Cause I think with this extra padding inside the helm too much padding would lead to too much heat retention. Keep in mind I actually prefer this arming cap more than my padded coif because it actually makes the coif fit properly.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: New Arming cap
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-17, 17:26:29 »
I would think getting the new helm to fit over that arming cap with coif is the way to go unless you want to constantly have to change arming caps depending on whether or not you want to just put on your helm.

Can you take a shot of the new arming cap without the coif over it?  Does it sit in place well without the maille coif?
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-18, 00:34:46 »

lf

There we go, I think it sits just fine as I got a pretty big head myself. Every helm I wear is size large. Might add some leather to my coifs bottom where it touches my chin so it dont rust if I sweat.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-18, 03:02:04 »
Might add some leather to my coifs bottom where it touches my chin so it dont rust if I sweat.

Wouldn't do it for that reason specifically. Leather will absorb moisture, and once saturated, will retain it. That moisture will start to oxidize the mail. Plate armor will oxidize most around leather straps for the same reason. It does add some extra detail to it though.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-18, 03:23:01 »
Around the brow, how big a head do you have?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2013-03-18, 05:16:06 »
23 inches and most helmets fit 24, because I add padding AND a coif size medium helms dont fit over my coif. With this new arming cap they fit rather snug and it's much better, my only complaint is my kettle helm is so damn heavy. It was supposed to be 16 gauge but I think it's much heavier, the brim is really thick. Maybe I should sell it and get a better one from Royal Oak, but meh thats asking for too much.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-03-18, 20:41:06 »
The snug fit is what keeps it from moving. If you want it looser, it's going to move around unless it has multiple straps. Snug is good; too tight is bad.

I agree with Ian's recommendation.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2013-03-19, 21:06:55 »
It would be a pain to have to change in and out of coifs in order to wear the maille coif OR the helm; the thick padded coif w/the maille coif seems to work out best for you so that's the measurement you should go with.

I think have that same arming cap- I like it, nice and thick so the rings from the maille don't drive into my head.  A plain linen arming cap allowed that all too often.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-03-28, 16:52:34 »
Ulrich, you just got a Royal Oak Armory Dargen helm, right?  I think they've raised their prices substantially...but maybe my memory's off.  What do you think? 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-03-28, 19:22:51 »
Yes Royal Oak did raise their prices on a number of things I had on my "someday" list

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-03-28, 21:29:34 »
Ok, by like $100 in some cases right?  I seem to remember their 4 panel Norman helm being around $185, and now its $285 which put it squarely in the realm of 'ok, wanted it but not now'.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2013-03-28, 22:13:12 »
His prices are still too low for his quality of work.  He's an up-and-comer who's going to stand up next to the big names in the armoring world.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-03-28, 22:18:59 »
I wouldn't know, I think such things subjective...wasn't looking to spend a lot on a helm that I can't use for much more than costuming; I liked the look of it.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2013-03-29, 06:59:26 »
I placed my order when the Dargen helm was 400. I hope he still honors that price cause I'm not paying 600 for a helm cause I dont even have that kind of money 400 sure but 600 I dont get that much. I already did make a payment for it though, so it should be good. Just got to send him my measurements which I have yet to do cause my folks are so anal about measuring me for anything...

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-03-29, 15:42:58 »
Ulrich, next time you make an event, we should take all of your measurements in your arming clothes and such so you can have that moving forward.  It is very hard to measure one's self at certain areas...but you can actually measure your own head circumference provided you have access to a tape measure.