"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: Battle axes  (Read 10692 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Battle axes
« Reply #15 on: 2013-04-12, 16:46:37 »
Thank you, Sir Brian- I find myself handling that axe as much as any of my swords, its really handy.  I see why you like yours...it just feels deadly.

Vander, I've been to wulflund's site on a couple of occasions and never saw his polearms page, thanks for sharing.  I like his work.

Leganoth- I found mine on the SBG classifieds- which was a good thing as MRL discontinued this item, along with most of the other really good stuff they've put out over the years.

That's why I said 'axe' Dane, did not want you to think I was pointing out your middle there.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #16 on: 2013-04-13, 11:36:19 »
I shall look there!

I'm an AXE NUT.  ;D

I recommend looking at
 http://www.wulflund.com/weapons/axes-poleweapons/?vp-page=1
because wulflund always has cool axes.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2013-04-14, 15:07:19 »
Funny this thread should be revived now. Last weekend a couple guys in the main group I reenact with got together and mounted our GDFB Halberd heads on shafts. Halberds aren't technically axes I guess, but pretty darn close. We left these at 7ft shafts, which is about a foot longer than the ones our Captain got and mounted last year. I like them alot, this length takes getting used to, but "feels" right.

A couple of the guys in my Reiver group are thinking of picking up some axes to carry, so me and another guy did some checking into them in the 16th Century. From what we found, double headed axes are tools, not purpose made weapons. That doesn't mean they weren't used as weapons in a pinch, but certainly they would have been emergency or last resort weapons. Single headed axes, often backed with a spike or hammer head for balance were the more typical weapon axes in the 16th Century, for early periods I am guessing this was also true. Apparently, though, Reivers sometimes carried double headed axes to chop through those heavy wooden doors found on bastle houses and such along the border. I guess chopping down a door is alot like chopping down a tree, but with people shooting at you and such. Single headed axes of various types were popular weapons because they could double as a tool to chop through a door if needed.

As mentioned before, if you're going for the movie or fantasy look, a double headed axe is killer. Cult of Athena and Therion Arms have some pretty nice ones, historical and fantasy, at pretty reasonable prices.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2013-04-14, 15:42:58 »
I'm an AXE NUT.  ;D

I recommend looking at
 http://www.wulflund.com/weapons/axes-poleweapons/?vp-page=1
because wulflund always has cool axes.

Looking at the Wulflund site, I just realised I know the US distributor for them (not that that will likely get me or anyone else here a discount  :'(). He's a good guy and now that I know who is Czech contacts are, it's time to put together a shopping list, for when I have some money to burn. They have alot of nice stuff.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-04-15, 00:13:21 »
Cool, I'm still finishing off the haft for my GDFB pole axe head. Hard to be for the price! I'm doing a 6 foot haft though. Is yours the one you posted pics of on the Book of Faces?

Who's the US distributor? They have a few neat things I'd like to get eventually, but if there's somebody this side of the pond for faster shipping and reliable tracking, that'd be great.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2013-04-15, 03:36:06 »
Yeah, the new Halberd is the one in my most recent FB posts. A 6 foot pole axe shaft sounds a little short for my taste, but to each his own. Gordon Clayton is the US distributor for Wulflund. I'll see him in two weeks, I'll see if I can get him to pop over here and post his contact info. Failing that, I'll try to get it and post it here myself. I know he's super busy with various projects, so it may be faster and easier just for me to do it.