"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Border Reivers set to invade Celtic Fling.  (Read 8008 times)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Border Reivers set to invade Celtic Fling.
« on: 2013-02-28, 03:02:01 »
I know not all of you here have me as a facebook freind or are even on facebook, so I thought I might provide a bit of an update here. Earlier this year I started recruiting people to do late 16th Century Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers with me. Most of the people who got involved in this with me are people who already reenact in the 16/17th company I am part of. I contacted the people who organize the Celtic Fling at the Pa. Ren. Faire about the possibility of us setting up a "camp" and possibly doing some demonstrations. After a little discussion, they accepted my proposal. We have not set estabolished any details yet, but my fledgling group of Border Adventurers will be at this years Celtic Fling. Hopefully this is the start of something fun and different for us. I know Sir Brian ussually makes an appearance, but I would encourage all who can to come on out to see us at our debut event.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Border Reivers set to invade Celtic Fling.
« Reply #1 on: 2013-02-28, 03:59:16 »
Awesome! If that's June 22/23rd and I'm reading the site right, I'm not sure if I could make it (parents anniversary). Good luck with the debut, and have fun!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2013-02-28, 14:19:59 »

Excellent!
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-02-28, 14:44:19 »
Sounds interesting...as you know, I have never been to PARF so I look forward to going one day; might as well be a day I know you'll be there.  Last time I saw you was a couple years ago at the least, right?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #4 on: 2013-02-28, 17:44:53 »
As long as it's a weekend, I might be able to swing it. :) I wanted to hit PA Ren Faire this season anyways. Never been yet & they allow weapons.  ;D
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2013-03-02, 00:32:20 »
This is going to be at Celtic Fling in June, I think it's the 22 and 23rd of June. Celtic Fling is a bit different from the normal Faire, which starts in August. Fling is a celebration of "Celtic" culture, but features alot of cool events  like the Highland Games and a sanctioned Feis. Some very cool bands come and play as well. For anyone wanting to come during Faire, I'm there pretty much every weekend. The main group I reenact with portrays the town Trayned Band. This year I hope to be able to sneak away the Sat. of Labor Day weekend to head down to MDRF, but that will depend on if we have enough people to crew our artillery piece without me.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #6 on: 2013-03-02, 13:22:54 »
This is going to be at Celtic Fling in June, I think it's the 22 and 23rd of June. Celtic Fling is a bit different from the normal Faire, which starts in August. Fling is a celebration of "Celtic" culture, but features alot of cool events  like the Highland Games and a sanctioned Feis. Some very cool bands come and play as well. For anyone wanting to come during Faire, I'm there pretty much every weekend. The main group I reenact with portrays the town Trayned Band. This year I hope to be able to sneak away the Sat. of Labor Day weekend to head down to MDRF, but that will depend on if we have enough people to crew our artillery piece without me.

I have a quarter Irish in me & shall enjoy the festivities. Of course, there is alcoholic consumption allowed at this event, Sir Matthew??  :-\ Otherwise, it shall feel rather un-deserving of fine Irish folks.  :D
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2013-03-05, 01:09:56 »

I have a quarter Irish in me & shall enjoy the festivities. Of course, there is alcoholic consumption allowed at this event, Sir Matthew??  :-\ Otherwise, it shall feel rather un-deserving of fine Irish folks.  :D

Of course! In previous years there was even Whiskey tasting, but I don't recall seeing it last year. The Faire has a brewery on grounds and the produce some very good beers. If you make it up, be sure to stop by where ever we are set up at and introduce yourself.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2013-04-02, 23:43:25 »
I just got confirmation this week that we are approved to set up and do some demos at the College of Southern Maryland Ren Fest on April 19 and 20. This is a fund raiser for their Arts Department being held on the La Platte campus. Friday there will only be myself, my second and possibly my wife there, but Saturday we'll have two more members. I'm still waiting on the exact demo schedule, but it looks like we'll do 3 firearms and 3 archery demos throughout the day. This will sort of a dry run for us of our demos, which will include the use of a wheellock pistol, since I recently managed to acquire one. If any of you from around the DC area are free that weekend and looking for something to do, come on out and say hi, here's a link to their website for more info: http://csmd.edu/Arts/renaissancefestival.html

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-04-03, 03:57:17 »
I'm a bit far out (4 hours round trip) and have a road trip the following weekend, so I'm going to have to pass on it. However, have a great time, congrats on the wheellock, and post some photos!

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-04-03, 14:49:10 »
April 19 and 20...hey gents, when're we having our first rehearsal for VARF?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2013-04-03, 17:20:37 »
April 19 and 20...hey gents, when're we having our first rehearsal for VARF?

April 14th

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-04-03, 17:52:39 »
Ok cool.