"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Birthday Gift  (Read 7596 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Birthday Gift
« Reply #15 on: 2013-02-19, 22:41:33 »
Thing about me is I want something that can double for a historical design as well as be usable in combat, thats why I was thinking a great helm would work well as well as look cool. Maybe I need something more practical but all I really want to do is do a more entertaining version of endurance training in all honesty.

I guess the only way to get better at it is to fight frequently, unfortunately I dont have that at my disposal because of my location as all my friends live far from me and I can't really drive. Guess the pell IS the best choice then and to work on cardio treadmill will work best. Strength wise I think I'm fine because I still can lift stuff just fine and weapons really don't weigh much if you use the properly balanced stuff, I do plan to practice at the pell with my practical norman which is rather balanced and not too heavy. The only issue I really have with weight is when the stuff is too heavy, such as my friend who I practice with complaining that the other old rattan sword he has was too heavy (IE 5 pounds) as well as the wooden shields which were rather heavy and dense. I did read SCA stuff is heavier typically than WMA/Historical stuff, like the helmets are 12-14 gauge rather than the historical 16-18 gauge. I get bored with weight lifting easily so I think I should just get some of those sword weights I saw on here a while back, that would make things a bit more interesting and make me work out the muscles I actually NEED for sword fighting. I am not interested in becoming bodybuilder buff, just maybe gain maybe 15 extra pounds and have higher endurance like I used to when I frequently ran and hiked a while back. I did read knights historically used to do acrobatics and running and other endurance building stuff in their armor and stuff to build their own endurance, I think I might try that once I tailor it. But would simply fighting and working out in armor make me build endurance? Or do I need to just regularly do it? I would prefer doing it in my armor simply because it would get me used to wearing it so I dont get tired or uncomfortable, but I WILL say with that new gambeson maille is A LOT more comfortable, I guess the arming clothing really does make a difference.

When I first fought I had a nasty habit of holding my breath whenever I did anything straining which lead me to get tired quickly, thankfully I dont do that anymore and the other time I fought I did much better, only issue I got is fighting another opponent with a shield, I constantly dont have a target to hit, so I often go for the head or legs rather than try to hit the body. All I have is maille and a helm and a few pieces of leg and elbow plate so I dont think I can do anything more than backyard fighting practice with "pulled" blows... but that could still build up my stamina to wearing armor. I mean I can fight a while in just a gambeson with a helm and shield alone, it's when I start wearing armor I start to get more tired, especially heavy SCA armor, maybe I should invest in boiled leather or spring steel armor like you have?

Yeah thats why I wanted to go for that GDFB helm, it seemed period for the era I want to reenact and it looked kinda cool, only thing I'd be limited with is vision, I do plan to wear a coif and padding under it though so how much would that make it slide around? Personally I would prefer trying it out before I buy it... Thats the main issue I got, unable to see if it fits me properly before I buy anything. My parents said they would be willing to buy it as well. I just would like to try it out first...

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2013-02-20, 17:40:57 »
Yea, there's the rub- you don't get to try before you buy; your only real recourse is if one of us has one and can tell you how the fit is and maybe allow you to try it at some point.

With that said, what you should nail down is what you want it for- SCA combat is not the same as WMA combat- even if the armor between the two can sometimes overlap...the SCA has all sorts of anachronistic things going on because their first desire is safety for all participants, so they have marshals who inspect your gear to make sure you're within their guidelines.  If you're into sport WMA you may not even need to have period armor as you're just learning techniques; if you're more into the historical aspect of WMA then of course your kit will need to be more in tune with what they're doing.

Ultimately, you may be able to satisfy the requirements for at least one, if not two of the groups- but maybe not all three?  It all depends on what you plan on doing.  Know that first, then choosing what to get may be easier.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2013-02-20, 23:42:22 »
Nobody's gonna say it? It's going to be me? Okay.

3 different types of stuff? SCA, WMA, etc

3 kits

8)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2013-02-21, 06:39:33 »
I dont even think I am going to do SCA now cause I just found a WMA area thats actually only like 30 minutes away and is a weekend thing and my parents seemed ok about going there once a week. Guess that scratches off the SCA thing. Only thing I need to buy are wooden swords and perhaps a metal practice 2 handed longsword, if I am required to learn to use that. I already got most the stuff I need for it. Plan to go there possibly this week as the first class is free.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-02-21, 14:12:09 »
I'd ask for equipment feedback from the people there. They'll have a lot more insight into what they do than we will, and could tell you about how suitable the helmet choices are.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2013-02-21, 17:58:25 »
Excellent point, Sir James...find out what they like to use and get something along those lines- you want to be compatible with your group; you don't want them having to make changes on your behalf unless it is something related to medical or '-challenged' issues.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2013-02-21, 19:24:55 »
I'd ask for equipment feedback from the people there. They'll have a lot more insight into what they do than we will, and could tell you about how suitable the helmet choices are.

Yes, definitely talk to them first.  They're equipment requirements may be totally different, and you don't want to buy a bunch of stuff you may not need or ever really use.  They will certainly have equipment there for you to use as a beginner to get a feel for what you need.  I wouldn't buy a thing before going to your first few lessons.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum