Main > The Round Table

Armored or Not- what makes you a Knight?

<< < (7/10) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Lord Tristin on 2013-04-11, 16:51:36 ---I thought long and well about that very question many years ago. What makes a knight. One could argue that knightly behavior makes a knight, or title from a lord, perhaps even his wealth and armor.  Imyself have my own formulated opinion.

A knight is someone who shines like a beacon, someone who stands for his beliefs and stands for others even when no one will stand with him. A knight strives to be temprent in judgement, yet is not afraid to hand down punishment for injustice. A knight needs no reason to do good, and makes a point to show kindness and understanding to those less fortunate then himself.

Knightly behavior, Charity, Honor, Hospitality, Courtesy, Integrity, these intangible virtues are paramount to knightly behavior. A knight needs to always be aware of his actions, how they reflect on himself and his peers and lord. I could continue but I believe my point is made. A knight is a combination of inborn ability and learned behavior.

--- End quote ---

That is an excellent answer, Lord Tristin.

I've seen a wide range of answers to this sort of question over the years, and there are many descriptions, with a lot of overlap. Some people/groups put a different amount of emphasis on different aspects. For instance, the chivalry section on the AA has had discussions about which of the knightly virtues is the most important. Something that comes up a lot there is renown and prowess. While personally, I think in the modern day these aren't the most important, there is some good historical context for these.

In my mind, honor and integrity are paramount, and a willingness to do what is right, simply because it is right, even if no one is looking.

Lord Dane:
Seconded. Well worded, Lord Tristin. :) You & I shall share much in the way of words on this forum I think.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---I've seen a wide range of answers to this sort of question over the years, and there are many descriptions, with a lot of overlap. Some people/groups put a different amount of emphasis on different aspects. For instance, the chivalry section on the AA has had discussions about which of the knightly virtues is the most important. Something that comes up a lot there is renown and prowess. While personally, I think in the modern day these aren't the most important, there is some good historical context for these.

In my mind, honor and integrity are paramount, and a willingness to do what is right, simply because it is right, even if no one is looking.

--- End quote ---

Agreed Sr Edward. 

Corvus:
I believe that the essence of a Knight comes from within; from their heart and spirit, and from without when they are recognized by others for their deeds.

In the world from which I hail there is a saying, penned by the Heathen author Eric Wodening, which says; "We are our deeds."

I will add to this by saying that my late grandfather used to remark: "A Warrior is a living balance: A mixture of strength, wisdom and proper humility."

I sincerely believe this as well.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Lord Tristin on 2013-04-11, 16:51:36 ---I thought long and well about that very question many years ago. What makes a knight. One could argue that knightly behavior makes a knight, or title from a lord, perhaps even his wealth and armor.  Imyself have my own formulated opinion.

A knight is someone who shines like a beacon, someone who stands for his beliefs and stands for others even when no one will stand with him. A knight strives to be temprent in judgement, yet is not afraid to hand down punishment for injustice. A knight needs no reason to do good, and makes a point to show kindness and understanding to those less fortunate then himself.

Knightly behavior, Charity, Honor, Hospitality, Courtesy, Integrity, these intangible virtues are paramount to knightly behavior. A knight needs to always be aware of his actions, how they reflect on himself and his peers and lord. I could continue but I believe my point is made. A knight is a combination of inborn ability and learned behavior.
--- End quote ---

Well stated Lord Tristin. I had purposely refrained from commenting in this discussion for I had not been able to muster up the appropriate solitude and tranquility often needed to contemplate upon such an encompassing, sincere and introspective question, for it truly is a soul searching question. Thank you Lord Tristin for putting into words that which I consider sacred yet have not been able to aptly convey into words. Well done!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version