Main > The Round Table

Armored or Not- what makes you a Knight?

<< < (8/10) > >>

Lord Dane:
Seconded, Sir Brian. Excellent words Lord Tristin. :)

Lord Tristin:
Thank you for your kind words Sir Brian. I strive to take my time when formulating my words. Occasionally I will speak out of turn but I strive to change that about myself.

Corvus:
Thinking before speaking or acting is a fine discipline I think.
Well said, Tristin

B. Patricius:
I have to agree with Lord Tristan.

I've met many "knights" who were anything BUT knightly.  I think that is what drew me to this forum where I actually registered instead of just "creeping around" and gathering research for my own means.  Here is a place where although, we all have differing opinions on what makes a "knight" at the same time, they are all very similar as well.

I can't help but also think of that scene in "Knight's Tale" and the whole movie in general.  The language and music, even the costumes that you would think are accurate are not.  Historically.  But anthropologically speaking, resounding to the "human condition" as we like to call it, Yes, "Knight's Tale" is incredibly anthropologically correct. 

Being a knight is not worn with a belt, even though it definitely adds to it
Being a knight is not a given when one has the most EPIC of kit, though it definitely adds to that person's presence.
I'm thinking of another movie now, a Marvel one, where the weakest of the group was in fact the strongest.  To be knightly, isn't born, made, or trained.  It's earned.  The ability to lay down your life, to risk it all for the betterment of others, like those people in Boston, who were just "civilians" as Corvus put it, THEY are knightly.

Or, as a dear friend of mine said, before he passed from his injuries, "no regrets."  Would my friend consider himself a hero? I doubt it.  He was "just doing his job," in direct disregard of the tridents embedded in his coffin, the start of a sad tradition of my generation, the cigars and coins left at his grave, or the medal of honor hung at his neck. Going out of the way, and doing the extraordinary, "tilting when they should draw," THAT is knightly.

The rest of us?  We're just continually striving, excelling, and struggling, along the path.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---I've met many "knights" who were anything BUT knightly.  I think that is what drew me to this forum where I actually registered instead of just "creeping around" and gathering research for my own means.  Here is a place where although, we all have differing opinions on what makes a "knight" at the same time, they are all very similar as well.

I can't help but also think of that scene in "Knight's Tale" and the whole movie in general.  The language and music, even the costumes that you would think are accurate are not.  Historically.  But anthropologically speaking, resounding to the "human condition" as we like to call it, Yes, "Knight's Tale" is incredibly anthropologically correct. 

Being a knight is not worn with a belt, even though it definitely adds to it
Being a knight is not a given when one has the most EPIC of kit, though it definitely adds to that person's presence.
I'm thinking of another movie now, a Marvel one, where the weakest of the group was in fact the strongest.  To be knightly, isn't born, made, or trained.  It's earned.  The ability to lay down your life, to risk it all for the betterment of others, like those people in Boston, who were just "civilians" as Corvus put it, THEY are knightly.

Or, as a dear friend of mine said, before he passed from his injuries, "no regrets."  Would my friend consider himself a hero? I doubt it.  He was "just doing his job," in direct disregard of the tridents embedded in his coffin, the start of a sad tradition of my generation, the cigars and coins left at his grave, or the medal of honor hung at his neck. Going out of the way, and doing the extraordinary, "tilting when they should draw," THAT is knightly.

The rest of us?  We're just continually striving, excelling, and struggling, along the path.
--- End quote ---

Hear! Hear! Hear!  Well spoken B. Patricius!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version