"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Scale Armor  (Read 18997 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Scale Armor
« on: 2013-01-22, 05:02:56 »
Does anyone got a clue where to get some? I been looking all around and all I really want is a scale vest to put over my hauberk to increase my chest protection also cause it looks cool to me. Not sure how historical it could be but I did read most knights in the late 13th early 14th had additional protection on their chest over the maille. Coat of plates is too expensive and I'd HAVE to get it customized to do that also seems heavier and I think it's kinda dull looking in all honesty so I was thinking scale would be good to put over it, as my one friend Robert Coleman did a similar thing, cept he used stainless steel spoons and made it himself, I actually want regular steel so it can get a patina, preferably thin tempered steel to reduce weight.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Scale Armor
« Reply #1 on: 2013-01-22, 09:27:48 »
http://www.polarbearforge.com/lamellar.htm

Polar Bear Forge can help you out.

When & where is your persona again?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2013-01-22, 11:11:01 »
My persona is a late 13th early 14th century Teutonic knight. I dont know where to get a coat of plates for under 200 bucks, otherwise I would get one. Keep in mind I'm on a budget because I spent too much on this stuff, but once I sell my old stuff I should have the money by then. I dont think it's out of place for a crusader to get scale or lamellar armor in that area as they were used by the byzantines and they could of easily bought some of them off of them.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-01-22, 16:13:44 »
Coat of plates can be had for really cheap if you keep an eye out. I think I paid $100 for mine?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-01-23, 15:47:40 »
I paid $200 for the one I got last year, which I subsequently sold to Sir Edward; Ulrich, keep your eyes open.  Also, you might be more interested in a CoP kit, rather than buying one outright.  With the kit, you get all the plates cut and shaped to your specs- it is up to you to get ahold of whatever fabric or leather you want, and riveting the plates in place- I do believe these kits come with all the necessary hardware.  Worth looking into.

More importantly, are you going for the lamellar look or the Byzantine/Roman scale look?  For lamellar you'd be looking for D-shaped plates, for the scale, they'd look more like little thumbs.

The Ringlord makes individual scales that you can lace into a hauberk or textile based shirt:  http://theringlord.com/cart/shopDisplayCategories.asp?id=184&cat=Scalemail+Supplies

Worth a shot.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-01-23, 16:47:06 »
CoP's always pop up on the Armour Archive, just keep scanning the classifieds section every day.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what you can find on there.  Especially if you're willing to get a CoP kit, which I see all the time on there.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2013-01-23, 18:28:03 »
http://www.calontirtrim.com/index.htm contact them about there scale. i have seen a few kits made from them and its awesome.

but i think you want a coat of plates not scales.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2013-01-24, 14:05:45 »
Yeah I think I am gonna go with a coat of plates instead, the DIY scale stuff does look cool though. Could just try lamellar over maille but that wouldnt be accurate to the Germanic part of Europe. If I could get a cheap coat of plates I would like it. Problem is sizing, I do intend on wearing it over my maille hauberk but the weight might get too much so maybe I should go with tempered steel rather than thick steel. Or go for aluminum, but I dont like using non period materials for a lot of my stuff.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-01-25, 18:33:12 »
Ulrich...are you leaning more towards a Living History interpretation?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-01-25, 23:05:28 »
Tempered steel for under $200 would be extremely rare at best. Aluminum, maybe, it's soft and light weight, and if it's covered, it's not a glaring issue. The mail fauld I wore at DoK was actually stainless. Nobody seemed to notice, or at least, no one said anything or even asked.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-01-26, 00:04:58 »
Tempered steel for under $200 would be extremely rare at best. Aluminum, maybe, it's soft and light weight, and if it's covered, it's not a glaring issue. The mail fauld I wore at DoK was actually stainless. Nobody seemed to notice, or at least, no one said anything or even asked.

My whole haubergeon is stainless, as is my aventail.  Being blackened it looks like regular mild steel, but I didn't want to deal with maille maintenance.  I hate working on maille :)
My Pinterest

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2013-01-26, 10:30:47 »
Yeah I am going the living history route. Rather go that way than go SCA being less into fighting more into reenacting. I did see some coat of plates on these eastern european armorers sites at a fairly decent price. Problem would be the shipping. Though in all honesty I want a 13th century one rather than a visby one.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-01-26, 14:46:42 »
What's a 13c coat of plates?  I was under the impression that the CoP was not a thing until early to mid 14c.  I'm not aware of any effigies that depict anything other than just maille defense for the torso in the 13c 
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2013-01-26, 15:39:00 »

My whole haubergeon is stainless, as is my aventail.  Being blackened it looks like regular mild steel, but I didn't want to deal with maille maintenance.  I hate working on maille :)

Amen Brother!!

What's a 13c coat of plates?  I was under the impression that the CoP was not a thing until early to mid 14c.  I'm not aware of any effigies that depict anything other than just maille defense for the torso in the 13c 

Same question. Wisby/Visby was mid 14th century where coat of plates was common. I don't know what a 13th Cent coat of plates would be, if it existed at all; that's a solid 50+ years before it was common if you're talking 1299 as 13th Cent; early or mid 13th Cent, I don't think it would be plausible unless something for the upper upper crust of royalty; certainly not for a knight or common soldier.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2013-01-26, 15:59:02 »
I watched this series called "Weapons that made Britain" and they said during the 1250s there was a sort of coat of plates that was made for knights mostly, they didnt overlap like the Visby Plates but they were relatively similar to them in type. It was smaller and typically worn on the inside of the surcoat or over the maille, as seen here: http://www.arador.com/articles/stmaurice.html
Where to get something like that I dont know, I dont even see European outfitters offering stuff like that, guess the only way would be custom built.