"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: New hauberk arrived  (Read 14092 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
New hauberk arrived
« on: 2013-01-08, 23:36:18 »
Well I bit the bullet and bought a new hauberk wedge riveted with solid links. Unfortunately it came SOAKED in oil. I am not sure how to remove it, sure I CAN try wiping it, but I am allergic to the oil and I keep sneezing non stop because of it. I HAVE to remove it, but I am NOT going to use soap and water because I don't want it to rust. Would denatured alcohol or acetone work to remove the oil without rust? I do like the solid link combo with it though, it makes it feel more studier, it also glides a LOT easier than my other hauberk and doesn't lock or catch together like my old hauberk did. Also dont notice any missing rivets yet.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: New hauberk arrived
« Reply #1 on: 2013-01-09, 01:58:31 »
What will you use instead to keep it rust free? Something like the period solution of beeswax and olive oil or gun oil?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2013-01-09, 02:59:32 »
I have no clue in all honesty, my old maille didnt need that cause it was blackened already which protected it from rust. I am thinking of coating it in some natural oil and setting it on fire to blacken it so it looks more period.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-01-09, 03:11:48 »
Blueings not hard with a bit of work & an oven.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-01-09, 13:28:03 »
Sawdust and a bag, and tumble it around. If the sawdust comes out wet, add more sawdust until it stays dry.

Or if you're planning to burn & blacken it, maybe just do that with the oil that is on it already. No idea if you'd still be allergic if it's burned off.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-01-09, 14:25:33 »
That's interesting...it would be worth finding out what oil they coated it in so you know to avoid it in the future.  Of course, it could also be something else entirely- for instance, if you're allergic to cats, and you bought this from someone who has a lot of cats and isn't very hygienic about it, you might have a reaction to whatever dander's gotten on it.  Oil catches lots of stuff.

Congrats on your new acquisition, by the way.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-09, 14:27:42 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2013-01-09, 14:57:54 »
Yeah, it really depends on what they used. If it's a petroleum based oil or grease, it'll loosen up in a typical solvent such as acetone, mineral oil, or even paint thinner (or gasoline or kerosene, but please don't use those). You can soak the whole hauberk in a bucket and slosh some of the stuff around, and rub it down with paper towels and the like. You might want to use rubber gloves for this. I had to do this once for one of mine. If you do this, use a bucket you don't mind trashing, especially since the safest way to dispose of the acetone/thinner is to let it evaporate.

The sawdust idea is a really good one. It'll still leave a small amount on the armor of course, but that will sort of disappear on its own if you wear it. Evaporation will get the remaining coating, which will be aided by movement.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-09, 14:59:35 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2013-01-09, 18:06:55 »
Yeah, I actually like the quality of this maille better than my old one, it never freezes up like my old one. I am thinking of trying denatured alcohol to clean it as that would just simply evaporate and I wouldnt have to dry it off myself. I have no clue where to get sawdust in a large quantity but I do got a bunch of solvents mainly mineral spirits in my father's basement, just need a bucket to soak it in. I plan to coat it with olive oil and beeswax afterward, similar to how my coif is.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-01-09, 19:54:58 »
I used what I had in the cement mixer trying to clean/polish my mail (which was less than satisfactory), so I don't have any extra. If there is any lumber mill or wood facility near you, they should have plenty and gladly give it away.

Forgot to mention if you have an air compressor, blasting it off or dry with an air hose works okay. It's not great, but it'll work in a pinch.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-01-09, 21:53:44 »
Ulrich, if you're set on trying different methods, be sure to test on a piece of maille that's not going to be front and center; like lower back hem or something like that.  Let us know how it goes...oh, and from where did you get your hauberk?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #10 on: 2013-01-09, 23:42:14 »
fear not... it will rust. but dont freak cause it will come off. my forth armoury hauberk rusted red once, i put it in a burlap sack with sand and it came clean.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2013-01-10, 00:38:14 »
I got it at Kult of Athena, heres a pic of it

As you can see it's soaked in oil. I think I'm gonna wipe some of it off and use some industrial soap to wash the rest off. Then I might seal it with beeswax or something to stop it from rusting. It's also MUCH larger in size than my old hauberk, prolly would make it easier to put on in all honesty.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-01-10, 15:25:56 »
The nature of a hauberk, that is, thousands of rings with a very large combined surface area and being made of mild steel means you're going to see rust at some point.  Beeswax may not be the move to make as it can also seal in any moisture still lingering from the washing you plan on giving it.

I have to go with the others, sand or sawdust, in a barrel and roll it about for a while.  It'll be good exercise as well.

KoA, huh?  I'm not able to see that site, what did they hit you for w/regard to cost?  I really like that look...much more historical looking that my 'bright maille'.  :)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2013-01-10, 21:10:55 »
I've never had any issues using a bucket of water with a lot of simple green in it to cut the grease off of there.  With it being mild steel you just have to make sure to dry it quickly afterwards, and the oven surely won't hurt.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2013-01-11, 13:06:34 »
That green stuff is the oil?? The haubergon I got from KOA right before Days of Knights was oily, but a "normal" yellowish/light brown color. It was coated, but not "clumpy" like that. Mine is pin riveted, no idea if that makes a difference, but probably both from the same place; I believe mine was GDFB thru KOA.

I saw the FB post, I agree, you'll definitely want to get that all cleaned off before putting it on with the arming clothes. Having stuff on the arming clothes you're allergic too would be quite unpleasant.

I like the simple green & bucket idea. I may try that with mine this weekend. If you try it, let us know how it goes.