"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Oakheart Armory great helms  (Read 2640 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Oakheart Armory great helms
« on: 2012-11-10, 14:19:24 »

http://www.etsy.com/listing/106302965/crusade-era-dargen-great-helm-hand-made?ref=v1_other_2

Good Sir Joe made a good review of these on facebook. If I didn't already have my Valentine helm, this would be a very tempting option.

Joe writes:

I increasingly became interested in a getting a faithful replica of the Dargen helm and decided to give Royal Oak Armoury a try. The vendor contacted me within the same day of the order and was very willing to tweak the design of the helm slightly for me. He made the helm with a period liner from scratch. From time of order it was at my door in 12 days! This man wants your business!

As for quality, this is a well made helm. No sharp edges. Overlapping plates are beveled with no undo gaps. In regards to shape and symmetry there really is no difference from my Valentine helm, save for the excellent detail in the period liner attachment. He uses cut-off nails for rivets, which seems to be a practical solution. The only "short-cut" I can discern is in the ocular reinforcement. Instead of the slot being cut out of a solid 4-pronged piece he cuts the plate with 6 prongs and overlaps the plates behind the rear of the ocular when he bends it at the center. No doubt this makes the shaping easier and I cannot fault it as not being a period technique although it does not appear to be done on the original helm.

In short: a great vendor who is working hard to get business. Responsive, fast, and producing quality work. Both of my thumbs up.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Oakheart Armory great helms
« Reply #1 on: 2012-11-14, 15:07:12 »
This is by Royal Oak Armory...you got me all excited because I thought my shield-makers had branched off into something even more interesting!  Oakheart does shields, surcoats and heraldry items almost exclusively.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Oakheart Armory great helms
« Reply #2 on: 2012-11-15, 00:05:50 »
lol