"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Sword of Branham Moor  (Read 5454 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Sword of Branham Moor
« on: 2011-05-05, 14:28:05 »

Sword of Branham Moor
http://renfairshoppe.com/branham_sword.html

I have no idea if this sword is any good, but I thought I'd post it here just because it's so rare to see affordable consumer-grade swords with an integrated suspension and scabbard. It looks like they got the prices backward in the drop-down selector.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Sword of Branham Moor
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-05, 17:00:03 »
I like the Randon swordbelt even better, altho I prefer the XVIII sword.  Price-wise these are about on par w/VA's collaborations with Atrim...I would even go so far as to say the VA steel is better crafted, but that might be uninformed opinion as I've not yet held one of the Mastercraft line; I have one of the Practical line from VA/AT - the singlehanded one.  It is currently getting a suspension system and the scabbard re-wrapped...I upgraded the guard, grip and pommel (guard and grip came from the A&A St. Maurice, pommel's getting celtic crosses appended to it), so this'll be a different sword once I get it back.

One thing I have noticed on Windlass swords in general- the blades tend to get sort of floppy once they get past 32" in length.  Wonder if this line suffers the same...but far as I know, the blades on these all come out to no more than 34" right?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-05, 17:57:15 »
One thing I have noticed on Windlass swords in general- the blades tend to get sort of floppy once they get past 32" in length.  Wonder if this line suffers the same...but far as I know, the blades on these all come out to no more than 34" right?

Windlass does have a long-established reputation for having whippy blades once they're too long. My Sword of Ibelin does get quite whippy. In comparison, my Hanwei claymore seems less whippy (though certainly some), yet has a longer blade than the Windlass. Both are in the same price range (about $200), both are carbon steel.

No review of that particular sword on SBG, and my experience is limited to the couple pieces I own. Very cool that it comes with it's own suspension; hopefully it'll become popular enough it becomes a more standard offering.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-05, 20:36:32 »
It's interesting that Renfairshoppe.com lists the unsharpened version at $325, Museum Replicas has it at $375 and Kult of Athena comes in at $280 (and it's guaranteed in stock as of right now).

I wonder if anyone over at KOA has handled this weapon and would be willing to give a straightforward assessment?
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-09, 13:27:04 »
On SBG, MidoriKurogami is one of the store's proprietors...I'd ask her.  KoA always has the lowest prices, hence their popularity. 

The only time to buy from MRL direct is when they have their big sale days...that's about it.  You can always find their wares elsewhere for cheaper.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #5 on: 2012-10-23, 14:47:20 »

Sword of Branham Moor
http://renfairshoppe.com/branham_sword.html

I have no idea if this sword is any good, but I thought I'd post it here just because it's so rare to see affordable consumer-grade swords with an integrated suspension and scabbard. It looks like they got the prices backward in the drop-down selector.

Surprised I missed this topic. I own this sword & one can see it in my photos on my knight page. It handles great for its price. It's carbon steel upholds well in a natural room temp. stored area even sheathed for long periods so long as it is maintained with the proper lubricant & polished. It's never rusted/oxidized on me.

It handles well with good reach & has a good balance although it is slightly less heavier than my arming swords. The pommel is unique and works best peened. Mine is razor sharp!! It will cut paper thin & can thrust decently without feeling flimsy. Not sure how it would handle plate armor but feels like a katana when used for slashing. Not to mention, it happens to be my Order colors. :) A big plus!! The scabbard is excellent quality but the sword belt is cheaply-made. It fell apart first week of wearing it. Overall: I am happy with it; I have since customized a sword belt for it.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-23, 14:57:36 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-10-23, 20:05:19 »
Lord Dane, do you have any updated pics of it?  I found one on sale for quite a bit less than that price, wondered if I should've gotten it.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #7 on: 2012-10-23, 22:25:30 »
Lord Dane, do you have any updated pics of it?  I found one on sale for quite a bit less than that price, wondered if I should've gotten it.

I do but it is same as one advertised on kultofathena.com. Lots of sites sell it. I wear it always with my Order garb or armor kit. It's my favorite sword to date. :) The cross diamond hilt is to my liking & the leather grip is perfectly crafted. It is a well-balanced bastard sword.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-23, 23:35:30 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)