"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Painted my shield  (Read 2678 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Painted my shield
« on: 2012-10-11, 00:17:59 »

Used spraypaint and tape to give it a perfect cross. I do plan to modify it a bit one day because the simple cross is not good enough for me. But what do you guys think?

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Painted my shield
« Reply #1 on: 2012-10-11, 01:11:12 »
So far so good!
Fall down seven, get up eight.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #2 on: 2012-10-11, 04:05:08 »
What else are you planning to do with it? In general for military orders, the simpler the better.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2012-10-12, 02:07:13 »
But what do you guys think?

Don't be afraid of the paint brush. For detail work you'd use the same small brushes you'd use for doing modeling work beit scale miltary, cars or what have you. If you go a little outside of lines you can always touch it up. My wife, who used to do the artwork for any custom painted shields found it usefull to make cardboard templates of complex figures and use a pencile with gentle pressure to trace them. The graphite didn't really take but it made a nice shallow stencile in the leather to paint in.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-10-12, 14:24:11 »
The tape is going to stand out, but it is a good start.  If you pull the tape, you should be able to paint inside the lines - and it'll look much more authentic, even if you do mess up the line a bit.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2012-10-16, 18:50:18 »

It looked so much like mine, that I almost thought Sir Ulrich had picked mine up at one point. lol :)

The cross is positioned a little differently, but the bars are pretty much the same width on both of ours. The biggest difference though is that I brushed over the black, so only the white areas were completely spray-paint.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #6 on: 2012-10-17, 22:28:46 »
Nice  ;)
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)