"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Going Teutonic  (Read 13132 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Going Teutonic
« on: 2012-09-12, 00:23:10 »
I decided that Ulrich is not really all that much a name that would suit a Templar. So I am going Teutonic, I also prefer the black and white to the red and white of the Templar stuff. Ulrich is also a very German name and I think it would suit a Teutonic persona well, also being German myself and a possible descendant of the northern crusades as I am Prussian German on my mothers side from Mecklenburg which was part of Pomerania which was won during the northern crusades. Also where I get my red hair from.
So should I go for the GDFB teutonic stuff? Cause I dont think I got much time to get custom stuff and I think getting the GDFB stuff and tailoring it would work better and would be quicker as well as cheaper. Also need to know what to paint my new shield with. Any help would be appreciated.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: Going Teutonic
« Reply #1 on: 2012-09-12, 04:36:24 »
I used Acrylic paint with a sealant to protect from water.

Also, Welcome to the Ranks of the Order! Good Bruder Edvard has the GDFB stuff and it looks to be of good quality. Fits a 13th century persona perfectly. I'm in the 14th century, 1330-60, so I"m going with another custom job from BJ, who is responsible for my other garb.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-12, 13:18:27 »
Yep, the GDFB Teutonic surcoat and cloak are good for the money, but they will definitely be big on you (they're slightly big on me). But sizing down a surcoat shouldn't be too hard.

I'm doing my shield with spray-paints, but specifically the "matte" or "flat" paints, since they look more like acrylic. The gloss is what makes it look modern.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-12, 13:19:15 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-12, 16:31:41 »
look for milk paint online. thats about as close to period paint as you can get now.

http://www.milkpaint.com/  link (i have seen theres and its good stuff)
http://www.realmilkpaint.com/products.html

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-09-12, 17:44:53 »
Hrm.  Looks like it is back to being just me, eh?  Suppose I could change my name to Wilhelm.  lol

Ulrich, how do you plan on tailoring the GDFB stuff?  Might be easy if you have sewing machine or access to a seamstress- like at your local dry cleaners.  The good ones usually have a seamstress on site to do alterations on mundane clothes- they could do yours too, you'd just need to have all of your gear on so they can get the correct measurements.  I was going to do that myself with some of my surcoats but then I gained 20 lbs and removed the need to do it.  For now, anyway.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-09-13, 03:20:07 »
Sir William, I've still got Templar gear ... though the mail needs the tailoring finished. ;)

Sir Ulrich, I'd go with the GDFB for Days of Knights time constraints. Having the surcoat taken in, if it's tube-shaped like I'm guessing, would be a good thing. It would be hard to find somebody to do one custom in the short timeframe left.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-09-13, 16:12:13 »
Sir James...I have never seen you in it yet...beyond the pics.  We need to represent, Sir Nathan's got recruits all over!  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #7 on: 2012-09-13, 18:42:49 »
Sir James...I have never seen you in it yet...beyond the pics.  We need to represent, Sir Nathan's got recruits all over!  lol

I might do the Teutonic thing next time we meet. :) I'm sold on it, Sir Nathan. Another Bruder for you!!
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2012-09-18, 22:17:50 »
Ordered the tunic and cloak from GDFB. Just need to resize them when they come. Got it in linen to reduce weight but the cloak is in wool.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2012-09-24, 20:04:32 »

Well it came in the mail, I am satisfied with the cloaks fit, it fits me perfectly. The surcoat could use a bit of tailoring on both ends the height is perfectly fine for me though I am not sure if it's too long on me.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #10 on: 2012-09-24, 23:02:34 »
awesome man. good job.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2012-09-25, 02:21:58 »

Excellent. Yeah, you'll find that the surcoat doesn't seem quite as long and roomy once you put it on over armor, and then bind the center with a belt. It still look like you have plenty of room, so taking it in a little might still help. Looks good though!
Sir Ed T. Toton III

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #12 on: 2012-09-25, 04:18:22 »
Looks good. Keep it long though. A cool trick is that if you have a linen undershirt, you can wear it with the surcoat and create the illusion of a Cappa-Claussa because the colors are similar.

Also, get a rosary to go about your belt and a cross necklace. (can be simple wood, or elaborate metal).

They were warrior MONKS, after all.  ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2012-09-25, 13:18:33 »

Speaking of which, I have a custom paternoster in the works for my Teutonic kit. Hopefully I'll get it in time for DoK.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2012-09-25, 16:07:59 »
I need to get one of those...a paternoster.  Where did you fellows get yours?  As a Templar I'm pretty sure mine'll just be wooden beads.