"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: A quick-n-dirty "Putting on Armor" page  (Read 5902 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
A quick-n-dirty "Putting on Armor" page
« on: 2012-08-27, 19:48:33 »
While getting ready for an event with Sir Edward and Sir Brian, my dad took some photos of me getting "dressed". I put them together into a page that shows the basics of wearing a full harness:

http://james-anderson-iii.com/tutorials/pages/how-a-man-shall-be-armed

There's no photos of the arms being pointed, since my dad was also helping do that - but it's functional enough to show what the process is. Hope it's helpful to anybody wondering!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
Re: A quick-n-dirty "Putting on Armor" page
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-27, 20:03:04 »
Perhaps this might be a public service ad pertaining to the need for squires.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-27, 20:42:12 »

I wanted to click "like", but the forum doesn't have that. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-27, 21:08:37 »

Squires are a solution to oh-so-many problems. I agree!

I'm not sure if you meant forum as the page I linked to with comments posting, or here, but, I added like buttons on all my pages. It was surprisingly easy. I *think* it's working. Works for me, anyway, and seems to tag the like to the specific page. Let me know if it doesn't work - if it is working, we can add it to the Order pages easily, too.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-28, 03:27:16 »

Squires are a solution to oh-so-many problems. I agree!

I'm not sure if you meant forum as the page I linked to with comments posting, or here, but, I added like buttons on all my pages. It was surprisingly easy. I *think* it's working. Works for me, anyway, and seems to tag the like to the specific page. Let me know if it doesn't work - if it is working, we can add it to the Order pages easily, too.

Squires. Lackeys. Call them what you want. We all know it's what our children were meant for. Either help me with the armor & have fun, or suffer in misery doing your mom's chores. :) LOL
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-29, 13:23:59 »

Yeah, I meant that the forum doesn't have a facebook-style "like" feature.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-29, 16:25:57 »
Yes I know. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-08-29, 18:11:19 »
Nicely done, Sir James.  I think any prospective knight should have to squire for us for at least one full year before they can be a candidate for knighthood!  lol

I especially like the fauld suspension...similar to what another member (his name escapes me, I know it starts with a 'S' though) did for his chausses.  He'd mentioned just using a belt caused it to dig into his hips so he created leather suspenders and never looked back.  Who is to say no one's done that before?  I thought it was a great idea.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-08-29, 20:23:03 »
Nicely done, Sir James.  I think any prospective knight should have to squire for us for at least one full year before they can be a candidate for knighthood!  lol

I especially like the fauld suspension...similar to what another member (his name escapes me, I know it starts with a 'S' though) did for his chausses.  He'd mentioned just using a belt caused it to dig into his hips so he created leather suspenders and never looked back.  Who is to say no one's done that before?  I thought it was a great idea.

Thank you, Sir William. The fauld is certainly a "cheat" of sorts, and period evidence shows it would have been attached to the arming clothes. Crossing the straps, I took from the early 14th century armor with just a breastplate, where the straps in the back would be crossed to keep it from shuffling around.

In my case, it works great because I can hike it up "Urkel Style" for wearing it with just a breast/back 14th century style, or let it sit lower so it is below the breast/back and hangs with the tassets in later styles. Plus, I can get it on and off by myself, without the "haubergeon dance" of mail. :) The rest ... no so much! 8)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2012-08-30, 14:05:22 »

Yeah, that looked like a pretty good solution. For mine, I just have a cord laced through the upper row of links, and tied it nice and tight around my waist so it doesn't slip down. I don't have it pointed or anything.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2012-08-30, 15:17:03 »

Yeah, that looked like a pretty good solution. For mine, I just have a cord laced through the upper row of links, and tied it nice and tight around my waist so it doesn't slip down. I don't have it pointed or anything.

Gentlemen of 'well rounded' shape such as myself can't do that. ;) I do have a cord laced through the top lacing on the leather strip to tighten it with, but it won't stay in place on it's own like that.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2012-08-31, 20:08:05 »
:)
 a few things if you will permit me. your chausis need to be a little tighter to the skin. the skirt should maybe be a lil lower? its hard to tell since i wasn't there :) i do like your suspension method, but what about pointing the skirt to the arming jacket? also, you should move to a standard instead of a coif. coif's were out of fashion with the sallet. and then lets get you some voiders to sew onto your arming jacket to cover up those holes. and then... let spend more of your money ;) hehehe your kit does look awesome man. just some helpful hints?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2012-08-31, 22:01:19 »
:)
 a few things if you will permit me. your chausis need to be a little tighter to the skin. the skirt should maybe be a lil lower? its hard to tell since i wasn't there :) i do like your suspension method, but what about pointing the skirt to the arming jacket? also, you should move to a standard instead of a coif. coif's were out of fashion with the sallet. and then lets get you some voiders to sew onto your arming jacket to cover up those holes. and then... let spend more of your money ;) hehehe your kit does look awesome man. just some helpful hints?

Feedback is always good! I'll see if I can cover things. :)

The chausses are actually just 'standard' pants from Revival, and not chausses. I haven't had time to sew up any padding, so I wore them over a pair of jeans - definitely a hack job, but it was functional and didn't leave me bruised up from the welded pins on the greaves like VARF did (I still have those bruises, still dark, months later). :) I do have a set of chausses and braies, but they looked very diaper-like with armor when I tried them:

I'll be borrowing an idea from Sir Brian and dying them black, when time permits, and see how they look after.

The coif was an "at least wear something" so that the sallet didn't look so bare, and to keep the helm from flopping around so much like it did at VARF too (it's quite big on me). Ideally, I would have worn a haubergeon instead of the fauld and coif, since it's appropriate for 14th century, but ... I don't have one, and I fudged the accuracy in favor of letting the kids see somebody in "more covered armor that's less historically matched" than "less armor coverage, but all historically matched". I don't even think the german styled sallet is appropriate with the rest of the kit being english styled, but it went over well with the kids. :)

Between tailoring a full-sleeve hauberk, and eventually the voiders, and a previous butted haubergeon I had - the thought of tailoring ANOTHER set of mail sleeves makes me twitch.

Most of the photos of early 14th century armor seems to have the coif over top of the plate, but the noise at every little movement drove me batty just testing it around the house. :o I'd like to make a standard when I get done with the other mail projects I've got going, since I should have enough "leftovers" to do it easily.

Good observation - the skirt is indeed high, but that's due to the backplate - it doesn't have any faulds, so I have the skirt sit just high enough that the bottom of the backplate covers the leather strip at the top. When I get a cuirass with faulds in front and back from Allan, I'll have the skirt sit lower - that's where the adjustable "X belt" comes in handy for height adjustments! 8) It's the main reasons I don't want to point it to the arming jacket - flexibility of how high or low I wear it, since I use it with multiple kits (including a simple breast/back with no faulds).

Voiders ... well, yep, that's a rough spot for me. :) I have a thread on here a little while back about trying to remove the blackening from the stainless with muriatic acid, and how it destroyed tons of the rivets. I'm waiting on replacement rivets from IceFalcon, and once I get the voiders fixed up & tailored, they'll be attached to the arming coat. I've still got a hauberk I'm halfway through tailoring, so it'll probably be 2013 before I get anywhere with the voiders. :'(

Thanks for the feedback!

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-09-04, 15:35:17 »
It was Sir Sylvanus...I remembered his name over the weekend.  He'd done the same thing with his maille chausses.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€