"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: Bascinet Visor dating  (Read 9808 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Bascinet Visor dating
« on: 2012-08-08, 01:48:16 »
Has anyone else seen this on Therionarms?
http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1405.html

I quite like the looks of it, and it looks protective and solid. Also quite menacing.
Therion's website states that that specific type of visor would be worn in the late 14th/early 15th century, but I find some images in the Romance of Alexander (Much earlier, 1st half of the 14th century) that have bascinets with extremely similar visors.

My question is, would that style of visor be plausible, or correct for 1350? I am inclined to think so, as the images from the Romance show some EXTREMELY similar visors.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Bascinet Visor dating
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-08, 01:50:00 »
Here are the images from the Romance of Alexander (which is apparently dated 1335-48)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-08, 02:22:43 »
Here's Hal's thread on MyArmoury, not 100% on the dating but the photo at the bottom of the suspected original is a pretty badass looking helmet

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=26515&highlight=
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-08, 02:29:26 »
I'm not real big on dating helmets. I'd rather go out with women. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-08, 02:30:33 »

Ba-Zing!!
My Pinterest

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-08, 02:36:10 »
hmmm i will have to check my books. it was on the AA. a lot of ppl think it's a bad design of a certain helmet. i kinda think it's cool looking, but can see where it's peak can be an issue

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-08, 03:06:54 »

Man, milady will NOT be happy bout this one. "You're doing what with an inanimate object!?!"

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2012-08-08, 03:19:42 »
Hmmm, I was actually thinking myself that that was a rather poor representation of the original, but IMO it compares rather well with the Romance image that I provided. In the first image, the only difference is the shape of the "jaw" of the visor. 

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #8 on: 2012-08-08, 03:25:31 »
omg that helmet is SICK.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-08-08, 03:37:49 »
Hmmm, I was actually thinking myself that that was a rather poor representation of the original, but IMO it compares rather well with the Romance image that I provided. In the first image, the only difference is the shape of the "jaw" of the visor. 

As far as the reproduction helmet goes, I can't really get behind the aesthetics of the skull.  The shaping just looks wrong and not really historical.  The visor looks pretty nice though.  I just love that severe high point on the manuscript images.  For a mass-produced helmet it's not bad, but it was a little ambitious for that type of manufacturing to try and capture such a striking helmet.

If this really is the original helmet, the repro doesn't compare.
My Pinterest

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2012-08-08, 03:46:01 »
As far as the shaping goes, I think it works for about 1360-70, where they have the deeper shape and are evolving towards that high pointed skull, but it's just not completely there yet.

GDFB uses the same generic bascinet shape for their designs, so I think it was a dumb choice on their part to say it's based off of something so exotic as the original.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #11 on: 2012-08-08, 10:11:32 »

Man, milady will NOT be happy bout this one. "You're doing what with an inanimate object!?!"

As you do not know where that helmet has been Sir Nathan, I suggest proper protection before intimacy. ;D Oh wait ... because the helmet is used for protection ... is it even necessary??? Hmmmm
« Last Edit: 2012-08-08, 10:37:00 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2012-08-08, 12:18:38 »
A protection within a protection? It's too unstable! BWOOOOM!!!!  ;D

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-08-08, 13:14:39 »
The original reminds me of this (http://castlewiki.castlecrashers.com/index.php?title=Conehead).

The repro, I have no idea on what period it would be, but it looks to me like a klappvisor, just with a different visor. The shape of the crown, the aventail attachment.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #14 on: 2012-08-08, 13:30:33 »
The difficulty with the 14th century is that things were changing so rapidly that it's hard to pin things down to a specific decade. What might catch on quickly in one place may take time to get picked up somewhere else too. And we often see a blending of various elements, particularly in the middle of the century.

So I think the estimates for mid-14th are probably fine, and you can probably fudge it a little in either direction. The artwork for the Romance of Alexander is pretty compelling, I think, and gives you a good basis to work from.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )